What to do to earn that credential?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Raven S., Feb 13, 2018.

1. Raven S.

Raven S. New Member

Feb 13, 2018

I am new here with a plea for help, I'm in a pickle... jar, and cannot get out.

Here is my situation:

+Short version+

+ I am currently working for a school as a new teacher that wants to rehire me for the next school year because they have seen improvement and hope in my teaching potential. However, I am unable to do this since I was basically removed/failed/no longer in good standing with my previous credential program. Using the advice from my previous clinical coach from my ex-credential program, I have been trying to be enrolled into another credential program to finish even if I have to start over from the beginning and pay over 20k. Unfortunately, I am unable to join another university to complete my credential because I am no longer in good standing. This creates a cycle where I want to complete a credential, but I cannot because I was not in good standing with my previous university. So what do I do now?

My school still wants to keep me since they have seen my improvement and like the fact that I reach out to my colleagues for help during this first year. Furthermore, my students perform just as well as the other students with different teachers. My principal sees this potential in me, but cannot keep me since I do not have an intern credential.

I want to keep my job for the second year, to grow more as an educator using what I learned from the first year, and pursue this dream of teaching- but I unable to find the way to continue. So I am look for some advice?

Sincerely,

A man in a pickle jar+

-Long version-

- I am an aspiring teacher. I have basically devoted a 1/3 of my life to trying to become a teacher despite others saying not to do it (parents/friends/etc.). It has been a bumpy road, but I was feeling successful, until I enrolled into a credential program. One of my major concerns has always been classroom management and rightfully so since the 200+ hours I spent observing classrooms showed many classes struggling to deal with behavior and develop a positive classroom culture. The closest answer I got during that time on how to deal with those situations was, "You'll discover it when you start teaching, everyone is different." In the credential program, this issue was just vaguely touched on.

Moving forward, this became a struggle for me during my co-teaching position at a high school, especially since rules were vague and procedures were unclear. I was having trouble working with my co-teacher to address this problem resulting in our work relation going downhill fast unbeknownst to me. This resulted in me being removed from my placement (with no knowledge until it actually happened) and failing a class due to not being in a placement. I was not allowed to continue co-teaching for the rest of the year and was instead asked to substitute.

After substituting for half a year, it was finally the new school year. Due to the advice of the staff at my credential department, I became an intern. To put it simply, I was not prepared for this. To be more precise, no amount of substituting or observing had me prepared for developing classroom procedures, rules, lessons, etc. I was completely overwhelmed after the honey period ended at the beginning of the school year. While trying to juggle classes, being a new teacher, and learning the school system/culture, I was having a hard time. My clinical coach identified that my biggest concern was classroom management and gave me advice to follow, and a plan to achieve... which didn't happen. The clinical coach did not see what he/she wanted to see in my classroom which was basically better classroom behavior from students making use of the rules/procedures and consequences in the class.. Consistency to enforce rules and procedures have always been a problem I have struggled to work with using many methods, and none being highly effective. My peers and administrators helped me with this and saw me growing as a teacher. Yet, despite the positive reviews by my peers and my administrators and providing similar student results as my fellow math teachers, it still did not meet expectation, and I failed the course a second time. Two incomplete in a course resulted in me being removed from the credential program.

"So what do I do now?" I asked my clinical coach. His/her answer was to enroll into another credential program and redo my credential because it was now impossible to do in the program I just failed.

My goal is to become a teacher to teach, so I began looking at options after the first school semester ended. I tried applying to other programs, however, I was unable to do this since I was basically removed/failed/no longer in good standing with my previous credential program. Even if I have to start over from the beginning and pay a high price for tuition, I would still be willing. Unfortunately, I am unable to join another university to complete my credential because I am no longer in good standing. This creates a cycle where I want to complete a credential, but I cannot because I was not in good standing with my previous university. I passed my CBEST, cleared CSET, have a job offer from the same district, but no letter of good standing. So what do I do now?

I want to keep my job for the second year, to grow more as an educator using what I learned from the first year, and pursue this dream of teaching. My school wants to keep me because they believe that I can accomplish this goal. Yet, I am meeting a road block every time I try to find a way to enroll into a credential program. So what do I do now?

Sincerely,

RavenS
    THE man in a pickle jar-

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2018

So do you have a valid undergraduate degree? Are you in a state that fosters alternate route to teaching?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Raven S.

Raven S. New Member

Feb 16, 2018

I have an undergraduate degree. The alternatives in my state is 3 years in a private school or an internship through a school district. This means moving again and leaving my current site, so I am hesitant, but looking into it.