What to do in Seattle and Vancouver CA area

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 22, 2017

My boyfriend and I are driving up to Canada for a roadtrip, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some fun things to do / places to see along the way.
    We live in the Central Valley (Ca), and will be driving up on the coast through Oregon. Not really planning on stopping much in N. California or Oregon other than to camp for the night.
    Once we get to Washington State, especially to the Seattle area, we'd like to see some things, neither of us really know what's there. Then when we get to Canada, we definitely want to explore a few things in Vancouver, and maybe drive up to about a 100 miles. We plan to stay in Canada for about 3 days then drive back. Originally wanted to go to Alaska (just the very south part), but we won't have enough time.

These are the things we're into / would like to se see;
    - outdoors, we'll camp a few nights, but will also stay in hotels a few nights as well, especially in major cities.
    - outdoors, such as seeing the mountains, hiking
    - fishing. He definitely would like to do a salmon charter / deep see fishing
    - anything noteworthy to see or do
    - any good places to eat? especially seafood.
    - we're open to rugged and fancy :)

Any suggestions are very much appreciated! Everything is very flexible at this point. We're leaving this Tuesday.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2017

I'm leaving Vancouver today, after being here for a few days. Some things to check out:
    - Stanley Park--right downtown, it's a huge park! Best way to see it is to rent bikes. There are hiking trails, beaches, the Vancouver Aquarium, and beautiful views
    - there are tons of water excursions available-- fishing, whale watching, etc.
    - I haven't had a bad meal--loads of restaurants with patios looking over the water and mountains
    - hop on a water taxi and visit Granville Island--a huge farmers' market and independent artist studios
    - head out of the city to Whistler. It's a ski resort in the winter, but thriving tourist town in the summer. There are lots of adventure activities--mountain biking, jeep tours, etc--shopping, and restaurants.
    -Squamish, BC is a huge outdoor centre. We just passed through on my tour yesterday, but our guide mentioned that it is a magnet for outdoor enthusiasts.

I've loved my time here--my feet and legs are sore from all of the walking I've done!

(just a heads up-- it's an expensive city!)

Linguist92021 likes this.
  4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 22, 2017

I just got back from a road trip to Olympic National Park and Victoria. Both were BEAUTIFUL and the weather was absolutely perfect - which I know you and I can both appreciate given our summer weather!

It's a bit of a jaunt over to the west, but if you have enough time, consider Olympic National Park. If you're into hiking, it's absolutely perfect. There are temperate rain forests (Hoh, Quinalt), beaches with tidepools (Ruby Beach), and mountain hiking (Hurricane Ridge). If you don't have time, save it for another trip. I promise it's worth it!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2017

Be sure to check out the Pike Place Market in Seattle and eat at Ivar's on the wharf.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 23, 2017

With Vancouver Canada, I know a guy who has developed a walking tour app, with most of the content in Vancouver - http://onthisspot.ca/ - it's a pretty cool thing

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 24, 2017

Great suggestions! Thank you everyone!
    I was also wondering what can we do once we pass Vancouver? We plan on spending just one day / one night in Vancouver and then keep driving up to maybe a 100 miles. At that point we can also camp.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2017

This site has loads of great information. Checking out one of the rain forests would be awesome (I didn't have time on my trip).

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2017

I love the Olympic Peninsula, especially driving the Hwy 101 loop. The remoteness of the western side of the peninsula is particularly appealing........ :)

yellowdaisies likes this.