What to do for Meet the Teacher night.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by skittleroo, Jul 17, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I am teaching kinder for the first time and wanted to help parents adjust to this new experience and get familiar with the room/school. I was thinking of doing a scavenger hunt of sorts.

Has anyone done this with young grades? If not, what do you do.

I hate just having them come in and say hello. I'd like to get them involved in doing something so I feel better about rushing them out on the first day of school.

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

Our school is grades Prek-5, and all grades have Meet the Teacher at the same time. I've never been able to do any real activities.

I always have the kids sign my welcome sign. Then I go with the child and the family and we find their seat, backpack hook, and anything else the kids would take ownership of for the year. Last year I had some old readers I gave to the families. The parents were very grateful to have appropriate books.

I have a few tables set up for different things. One table is filled with lots of information sheets for the parents (volunteer forms, my contact info, and a class handbook.) Another table is set up with clipboards. Each clipboard is for something different. The most important once asks, "How will your child get home during the first week"....which is always much different from what the kids will do for the remainder of the year. The other tables are used for students to work at. They love drawing pictures for me because I have a special place to display them. This year I MAY let the kids use playdough to make letters or words as a choice for one of the tables.

I do close off some of my centers....especially the blocks and kitchen!!! I made a huge mistake my first year by letting them play. Oh boy...did the little siblings make a mess..and it was loud.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

Are kids coming or just parents?

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I definitely intend to close any of my center down for Meet the Teacher.

I was thinking of a scanvenger hunt around the room (for parents and kids - not me).

I will still have clipboards with the essential forms to be completed and folders to be taken home with the other stuff.

I was thinking that I could have a real simple "scavenger hunt" - kind of a get to know the room such as "Find where we read, find our calendar." But I'm not convinced this is a good idea. On one hand, I like the parents getting an upclose view of the room and at the same time they can help familiarize kids with the room. But on the other hand, I don't want the room tore up either.

UUUUGGGHHHH! I don't know what to do! Maybe I'll just do what I've always done.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

meet the teacher is usually parents and kids

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

I thought about having a slideshow up as the child and parents are browsing the room. The slideshow would have lots of pictures of my past kids working and learning. No music, just pictures.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

oh that is a great idea. It won't work for me this year as I was at a different school and grade. But that is a great idea for future reference. Thanks1

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

In pre-k I have used a scavenger hunt. I did a piece of paper with squares and questions in each square, "find the bathroom" "Where do you leave your lunches?" etc. etc. with stickers at each station so they put a sticker or stamp in the box. It gets a little crowded but it keeps them active and parents get to know the room and some of the procedures. If you want the room perfect for the next day this is not the activity to do, but if you want happy, self-guided learning it works. Just make sure you have enough questions that they aren't all crowded in one place.

10. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

scmom, that scavenger hunt sounds like a great idea to have available for the families that do have more time than others. I just might try that this year.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

This is exactly what I want to do. Even if its messier. I will have center stuff closed, but there are lots of other areas for them to explore. I really want my parents to know about parts of the room.

How many questions/boxes do you have on your page? How are they to know where they put their lunchboxes? Do you have signs up for parents? Can you tell me anymore about yoru scavenger hunt. It sounds really cool.
    thanks

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

Ours is only about 45 minutes... don't really have time for one. Sounds like a great idea though!

I usually talk for 10-20 minutes, and then let the kids walk the room/find their seats/sequel or cry about who is in their class.

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

ours is hour and half. it a 'come and go' event. Some parents hang around as though they are expecting something more, so I'd like to give them something to do, but obviously they can leave without doing it if they like.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 17, 2009

What a fabulous idea!! I am stealing that!

We have curriculum night 2 weeks after school starts so I don't need to really do any kind of whole group talking at meet the teacher night.

Ours is a come and go type thing. On each child's desk, there is a letter from me that tells them exactly where to put all their supplies. Some go in the their desks and some become community supplies so they go in bins on tables.

Also on their desks are forms that must be completed that night. They are "how are you getting home" forms and contact info for me. Then there is a manila file folder with all the stuff that the office needs and a note attached to that to bring back on Monday.

I put out a little something special for the kids at their desks and now I will have them sign my welcome sign.:thumb:

On my guided reading table are clipboards for volunteer sign up. I also have a class wish list. I write things we need on banana cutouts and hang them in bunch on my door. People can grab a banana or two if they so chose. It says "Mrs. Lemonhead's wish list. Thanks a bunch." (I know not too appealing) haha

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

Lemonhead, ok I'm so stealing that idea with the bananas. I love that they can pick one or more and take as a reminder.

16. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

I'm attaching little spaceman notes to my rocketship. Each little note will have a wishlist item. It's pretty similar to the banana concept except it will be for my space theme.

17. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

I forget where I saw that idea. Its a great way to assess name writing and the kids love seeing their names when they arrive on the first day of school.

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

I have a "giving tree" with apples hanging off with my wish list items.

I thought about having my kids do a voice recording on the computers about what they are excited about this year... but I was afraid it would be too hectic.

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

Hmmm, I love this idea. Anyone know of anything I could do like this related to a racing theme?????? Maybe little flags. But what can I hang them off of?

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

We have 45 minutes and are expected to "present" for most of that time. I had a hard enough time filling the time in 5th grade, doing it in a new grade will be interesting! Somewhere I read a suggestion about having them pick out books from the classroom library, so I am going to do that. Then, I'll have them on their desk the first day of school, and they can look forward to reading them! I also have to figure out some way for them to find the right size desk and chair--ours aren't adjustable, so we have to mix and match.

21. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

I teach 3's and always begin with a scavenger hunt for parent/child. Both become familiar with the room, gives shy people something to do rather than chat with others, and usually does away with tears the next few days.

I keep it simple, always have play dough and the rice table out. I also have an art activity (stickers/markers) to do.

I usually have 8 areas to check out, including flushing the toilet (because it's loud) and washing hands at the sink. Additionally, I have the children come to me and have their photo taken, and go to my assistant and tell her his/her favorite color.

Some children don't do everything, which is fine, but a scavenger hunt works well for me. Good luck.