What to collect for my classroom!??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lilmarsh1, Oct 16, 2012.

1. lilmarsh1

lilmarsh1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2012

Hello I am a junior in the ECED program I will be graduating May 4th 2014 so i have three semesters left in college. I have begun to collect materials for my classroom (i.e. books, small plastic containers) because I heard you should start collecting now so you dont have to buy it all at once.
    So my question is being a ECED student graduating in three semesters what are some things I should begin to collect for my own classroom?
    Any other advice is much appreciated!

3. Harmony2

Harmony2 Companion

Oct 16, 2012

Books!!!! You can always find children's books at yard sales.
    Containers and bins...you use them for everything.
    Math manipulatives...counters, cubes, etc.
    Craft supplies, markers, crayons, etc.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 16, 2012

One suggestion on bins and containers... A lot of people pick two colors and use those throughout the room. This is good. It keeps things coordinated and organized.

I have a light blue and lime green theme, mostly. I buy pillows, border, etc. in these colors.

But for baskets, I color code them!

White- free choice card games or materials
    Yellow- craft/art supplies like crayons, glue sticks, etc.
    Red- math materials and games
    Green- language arts games and materials
    Blue- book bins

I find this easier than anything else. I can say "get a game from the red math tubs". They can easily get what they want.

So I suggest tubs, bins, and of corse, books! Pillows are great too!

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 16, 2012

I purchased many things in college to "build my collection," if you will. Most of the things I purchased were a waste of money, because I do not use them now.

I am extremely grateful that I began purchasing books early on. Check out thrift stores, garage sales, book sales, Scholastic book orders, etc. I have a fantastic collection of books. I Knew I wanted to teach K-2, so I purchased mostly picture books, and some easy chapter books.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 17, 2012

I would head towards thrift stores and garage sales. Whatever appeals to you will probably work. I liked to buy small collections of things. I bought polished rocks--toddlers loved to feel and pack them around. Any high quality items. My DD and I went to Goodwill Sunday. She found some great sand box toys. I found this cool hula hoop type thing. It was more padded and nonbreakable. We don't know what it is, but she will think of some way to use it.

I would also buy children's CDs. If you find some Hap Palmer, buy.

One suggestion: if you can't put it in water to clean it, don't buy it.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2012

I would start with an interview outfit... around here that means a suit, though it does vary regionally.

Then I would work on whatever passes for a professional wardrobe where you live. It's bound to be pretty different from the typical college wardrobe. You'll need it next year for student teaching, and it can get expensive if you buy it all at once!

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

Books are a definite. Garage sales are the way to find kids books. Also, libraries usually have a sale to get rid of older books. Check your local library and see when yours is. Our local library sells books every summer. Also, any kind of organizers are very helpful. Again, garage and tag sales are great places to find these on the cheap. Finally, go with your gut. If you think you will use something and it is cheap go for it.

9. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

Knowledge. :) Read lots of books about teaching, read all you can find about the grade and subject area you plan to teach, and collect your ideas in a notebook or a journal. This is one of the things that helped me the most... and I have a closet full of unused supplies that I purchased. :(

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2012

Books and your wardrobe

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2012

Wardrobe is a biggie. I was lucky enough to get a $1000 clothes scholarship my senior year in college and I spent almost 100% of it on teacher clothes. What I bought then (3 years ago) are the same clothes I wear to work now.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2012

Where do you get a clothes scholarship? I've never heard of such a thing.

I could use one now:lol:

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2012

I know right!!:haha: My school gave out $1000 scholarships to student athletes to help them buy books and clothes. They assumed that if you're an athlete you wouldn't have time for a job (I had a job anyways...) You had to be on a Pell Grant to get one. I was eligible every year but I only found out about it my super senior year!!! I could have had tons of nice stuff!

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 17, 2012

I would only purchase personal items, not classroom items. You never know where you'll end up or what you may be doing. Some schools will supply certain items, other schools require you to buy. If you inherit a room, it may come fully stocked or it may be completely empty. But, you know that you'll need a professional wardrobe and good comfy shoes.

If you're concerned about spending money all at one time, I'd window shop and keep track of what you would buy if you were actually teaching, where you found it & the cost, don't forget to add tax. Put that amount of money aside for supplies. When you actually have your classroom, you'll know where to go shopping at. Plus, you can buy it & take it directly to your classroom and not have to store it in your basement or car.

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 17, 2012

Don't buy too much! I thought I was gonna teach 2nd grade forever and I ended up going to 3rd and then 6th grade.

I'd buy lots of shipping tape. I seem to use the hell out of shipping tape no matter what the context. :lol: Shoes are good too. Get some good comfy shoes that match a lot of different outfits.

16. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Oct 18, 2012

Since I don't know where I will be, I have been purchasing items that can work at any grade level. This includes file bins and a desk organizer for personal use, file folder pocket charts, a calendar, teacher stamps, a stool, and items for my behavior management plan. I have also been saving containers for storage and even creating my own materials to use for classroom organization.

As others have mentioned, start buying work appropriate clothes. Shop the sale and clearance racks to save money.