What supplies do I ask for?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by ShanaNicole, Jun 11, 2013.

1. ShanaNicole

ShanaNicole Rookie

Jun 11, 2013

I have taught 1st grade for 3 years, now I am going in to 5th and I have no idea what to put on the student supply list. I was given the supply list in case I want to add/remove things and I just feel like some things might be too excessive.

Obviously I know why the kids need glue sticks or pencils and such, but what about journals? How many should I ask for? What do you use them for? I plan on having a math notebook and writing journal, but what else do I need? Our supply list currently says 2 spiral notebooks and 3 composition books and 2 packs of wide ruled paper... it just seems like too much?
    Aside from paper/journals/notebooks, what else do you recommend I ask for? Why do I need them? What do YOU use it for? I also see a ton of folders, how many folders do you use? What do you use for each folder? I'm slightly overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance!

:confused::confused: Shana

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2013

I asked for 4 spiral notebooks/composition books. Math, Reading, Writing, and Science. They always needed a new math one mid-year, so asking for 5 and holding 1 would work, too. I required at least 6 folders WITH brads- math, science, social studies, writing, reading, and homework.
    They will need at least 2 packs of loose-leaf paper.
    Kids never have paper- I have no idea what happens to it all!

I asked for Expo markers, highlighters, a pen, pencils, and a zipper pencil pouch- no room in desks for boxes! I am not a binder person, but I know some people ask for that instead of folders. Hand sanitizer and wipes. That's all I ever asked for!

4. sculteacher

sculteacher Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

My 5th grade team had a 2gb flash drive placed on our student supply list about 3 years ago so students could transport files back and forth. They are required for middle school the following year anyway, so it seemed like a good idea to start in 5th.

We're looking into using Google Docs for next year though, because sometimes, the kids forget their flash drive, lose it, or transport viruses to school from home.