What sorts of things would make you want to transfer to a new school?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mr. Nobody, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Oct 24, 2014

I am considering transferring to a new school when the 2015 - 2016 school year begins.

It would help me if you all were to share things you would consider or have considered when deciding if you want to transfer.

Thank you

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 24, 2014

Commute, expectations at new school, ability to teach instead of discipline all day, pay

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 24, 2014

1. Freedom to teach my way.

2. Transient rate of students.

In return I will get results on any end of year assessment you want or I will reflect and make changes to my teaching.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2014

- Admin: I don't like to be micromanaged, but I still want to work for someone who is involved in the school and visible to the students
    - Coworkers: You have to be able to work with your partner teacher. I very nearly left my school at the end of last year because of this.
    - student Expectations: this sounds silly but I have experienced this before - I can stand up and teach all day, but are the students held responsible for learning?
    - Commute
    - Pay Increase
    - Discipline (school's gotta believe in it)
    - School District: and by this I mean, does the school district put it's money where it's mouth is? Are they truly working to provide the best for students? Do they provide quality materials and professional developments for teachers? Are they a fair and equitable employer?

I am on my third school. I left the previous two because they weren't a good fit for my philosophy. I love my current school, and I'm glad I didn't switch for this year because my situation has improved 1,000%. It is very difficult to tell sometimes whether the grass really will be greener or not.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 25, 2014

I agree with the others have said. I will add that school culture plays a part.

I interviewed for a position within my district, wanting the position at my school, but it was also open at another school. After I learned that I got the job, the very next question out of my mouth was, "here?" Meaning, I wasn't leaving my building. I would have had to think very hard and gotten a much better raise to go to the other school. Even then, I don't think I would have taken it due to the school culture.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 25, 2014

Losing this is big. :thumb:

Also might leave over a really long commute to school.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 25, 2014

- Admin (supportive, not micromanaging, willing to try new things with the teachers, helpful in sticky situations with parents)
    - Colleagues (and atmosphere - is it positive or are teachers constantly complaining?)
    - FREEDOM (from scripted programs, encouraged to try new things with students)
    - Philosophy (for example, my former school loved scripted ELA programs, my current school loves Donalyn Miller's approach from The Book Whisperer. I align much more with the second approach.)

My current (and 2nd) school is a perfect fit for me in all these areas, so despite the 30-40 minute commute, I don't see myself leaving...EVER!

9. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Oct 25, 2014

Thank you all for sharing. My main issue is my team and the administration. I am on a new team this year and I do not feel my personality meshes well with theirs.

They are (for lack of a better word) "mean girls." They act friendly, smile, joke, hangout after work together, etc.

Yet, the things they do to and say about each other I could never imagine doing to a coworker, especially one I considered a friend.

I was extremely baffled when two of them made a serious accusation to the admin about another teammate (the kind that can get a teacher fired), yet when I saw the three of them a half hour later they were yukking it up like old friends. My thought is that the one didn't know the other two reported her. :(

I don't trust them which is difficult because even though I am not a new teacher, it makes the job so much easier when you have support and know you can depend on your team. My old team was like a family. They've all left for other schools, but we still get together for lunch/coffee and text regularly.

My new team are just people I happen to work with. I dread our grade level meetings because they'll bicker and talk over each other and I end up having to play mediator. Or worse, one of them in particular gets pouty and will refuse to talk during the meeting for whatever reason.

The administration are also stressing me out. Morale is low and we have a high turnover rate. I love my students and parents, but the admin make it hard to do my job. I feel the focus has become:
    1. High test scores
    2. Looking good incase the county pops in (as opposed to BEING good)