What should the consequence be for a student who threw a pencil at a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 10, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 11, 2019

Wow...I would not want to work in a school where a student throwing something at a teacher was not addressed by admin.

MrTempest and futuremathsprof like this.
  2. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 11, 2019

Ha, my admin would say: "Have lunch with the kid! Build a relationship!"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MrTempest likes this.
  3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 11, 2019

Your admin must have an aversion to hard work.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 11, 2019

My current admin would take care of it, but we are in luck this year. Our admin has a spine. I’ve had good admin before, but recent jellyfish admin have left a bad taste in my mouth.

5. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 12, 2019

Or move him out of range;)

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 12, 2019

Or out of class.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 12, 2019

The one thing that I have learned is that the squeaky wheel who doesn't complain about every minor thing has more of a chance to influence the decision about consequences. This is the teacher who is able to take care of most disturbances on their own, where not everything is an emergency, or life and death. That teacher usually gets attention when they tell admin that while they are OK, this could have gone very wrong if a child had been injured, and that is why it is important to send the message that projectiles are too dangerous to be taken lightly. I have told admin and students that my son is blind in one eye, so I don't take pencil throwing lightly, not for my son, not for anyone else's child.

Sometimes you have to paint the big picture with logically presented facts. Stay focused on how a student could have been injured as opposed to how dare they throw the pencil at me. I find that my words carry more weight this way. Glad you weren't hurt.

8. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 13, 2019

Pencils being thrown would be mild at my school!

It takes A LOT of behavior to get suspended or kicked out of my school. Having said that, we are highly supported by administration. The majority of the students have individualized behavior plans. We have a crisis response team that comes in when things get out of hand, constant communication with parents, and an on-site security person.

Keep in mind, most of the people who work at this school signed up for this (Administration is pretty upfront at interviews), have experience with this population, are highly trained to respond to crisis situations, and believe it or not, thrive in this environment.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 13, 2019

Student received 3 detentions after school. He claimed that he was not trying to hit me with a pencil...

10. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 13, 2019

Are you satisfied with that as a consequence?

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 13, 2019

I'm not sure. This is not the first time the student has thrown things in my class.

I asked the group who threw the pencil before admin came in. The student did not even admit to it when admin came in and almost let the entire class have a lunch session because he was lying. It is ridiculous.

Pencils are also sharp. I think it's unacceptable for a 6th grader to be throwing them around the classroom.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 13, 2019

It's unfortunate that your student did this, especially given that you feel somewhat unsupported by admin.

You can only make the best of it at this point. I'm really sorry.

13. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 13, 2019

It all depends upon how you feel the administration is dealing with discipline as a whole and it you want to "push the envelope," as they say.

I've never done this, but I've had colleagues that have directly called the police immediately after something like you went through with the pencil because the knew the office wouldn't deal with it. It's assault.

Now, one of two things will happen. Either your administration will be embarrassed enough by the arrival of the police at the school and the possibility of an assault charge being filed that they'll actually do their jobs in the future OR they'll let you have this battle for the moment and then start bearing down on you. (If you have a strong union/union rep, you can always have them monitor and document how your administration reacts for what appear to be reprisals - but that's a long-shot anymore......union leadership takes care of union leadership.)

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 14, 2019

Very much so.

futuremathsprof likes this.