What should I read on the first day?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsammieb, Aug 3, 2014.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 3, 2014

Should I jump right into Wonder? Or should I do a picture book for the first day? Ideas welcome! (5th grade)

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 3, 2014

No perfect answer to this, but personally I would jump right into Wonder. I start my read-aloud chapter book on the first day.

Wonder is a great book to start the year with in 5th grade IMO.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

I always read Wemberly Worried on the first day, but that's because all my kids are new to my school. For the purpose of community building, any Kevin Henkes book is a good choice.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 3, 2014

Any first day read aloud suggestions for fourth graders?! Thanks!:hugs:

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 3, 2014

I'm starting the year with Wonder as well.

I was planning to start Wonder the first day. I'm really excited to get into that book with my new class.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 4, 2014

For 5th grade, I love Sign of the Seahorse. The illustrations are exquisite, the topics of environment, pollution, treachery, love, and finding a place to call your own seem to resound with the middle school set, but I have used it from fourth to high school. Just practice reading it a little before, and decide on your inflection and possible voices before you get started. I am, after all, a science teacher, so this is not a surprising choice coming from me. It is good to get into a sing-song cadence, with varied volumes, which gives it the feel of theater. For third grade, I love Pish, Posh Hieronymus Bosch‎. Just suggestions.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 4, 2014

There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom is a great book for building community in 4th grade. Don't let the title fool you, there are some great lessons in the book. It also doesn't hurt that the students love it and the author (Louis Sachar) writes many good books that they will want to read later.

Shiloh is also a great book to begin as a 4th grade read aloud IMO.

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 4, 2014

These sound wonderful. I am familiar with Shiloh. Was thinking "The Indian in the Cupboard" as well. Also a friend recommended "Fourth Grade Rats." I will check out Sachar's book!

10. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I use Miss Nelson is Missing (Allard/Marshall) as my first picture book, and segue into my class rules/expectations lesson. Our first chapter book is Miss Daisy is Crazy (Gutman). It's about the beginning of second grade, written from the students' perspective. The students think the teacher is crazy because she asks so many questions...and seems to not know anything. It's a silly book, and a good way to get the students interested and engaged.

For upper grades, Frindle (Clements) is a great book about how language evolves, with enough silliness and kid-power to keep students engaged. And though I'm now 40 years old, I still fondly remember my 6th grade teacher reading Bunnicula (Howe) and the sequels to us for a few minutes each day after recess.

11. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Aug 9, 2014

My favorite first day of school book is "A Bad Case of the Stripes" by David Shannon. Our reading teachers go right into "First Day Jitters" out of the basal. These are for 3rd Grade. I did Stripes when I taught 4th grade too. When I first started teaching, we took a week to do getting to know you activities and back to school activities. Now we take one day to teach procedures and get supplies in order and we jump right in to the curriculum on day two.

12. Crono91

Crono91 Rookie

Aug 9, 2014

THE KID WHO RAN FOR PRESIDENT is a fine one. It's about a 6th grader who runs for president, and it's actually a good look into the election process for students, and it's a fantastic message for students.

The main character is in 6th grade, but I can't imagine why it can't be read to 5th graders.