What should I bring my friend in the hospital?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chebrutta, Mar 15, 2011.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2011

A friend of mine is in the hospital for at least a week with super-high blood pressure, 8 1/2 months pregnant. I'm going up to see her Thursday, but I'm wondering what I can bring her to while away the hours? She's a little ADD/OCD - constantly needs to be doing something - so I want to bring her a couple little things to do. I know she's going stir-crazy in there.

I'm going to bring a few books I have set aside for the used store (mostly Picoult). She likes to embroider, but I don't want to bring something that'll get her blood pressure up. Any ideas?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2011

Maybe an easy cross-stitch pattern or a puzzle book?

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 15, 2011

I make them up a little basket or gift bag of time wasters. Gossip and Rag (the globe, etc) Magazines, puzzle books, nail files and polish, TV Guide, and something that has to do with a hobby they can do while they are sedentary.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 15, 2011

Magazines
    Crossword puzzles/word searches

Too bad she didn't have a laptop.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2011

Bring her something to embroidery. It calms me down. You might have to buy some Aunt Martha's Transfers and iron onto a pair of pillowcases, but it would be worth it.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 15, 2011

What about baby stuff she can embroider?

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2011

Definitely a magnadoodle. That's my favorite thing to take friends in the hospital. I remember when one friend was in the hospital and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her, she kept writing what she REALLY thought (usually starting with the letter "F") then erasing it. lol.

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 15, 2011

does she have a laptop? maybe some movies that she can watch. my friend was on bedrest in the hospital and she said the food was awful and would love when people would bring her snacks to help her get through the day.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 15, 2011

Since the friend has high blood pressure, they probably have her on a cardiac diet (i.e. nothing that will affect the heart adversely) aka the worst tasting diet ever.

I find regular hospital food to be delicious.

Jello is good.

Also, bring in a laptop and a bunch of movies (Find out whether the room has a DVD player or a VHS) for her to watch.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 15, 2011

I would stay away from anything like cross stitch or embroidery. The drug they are likely to put her on for the high blood pressure is Magnesium Sulfate, which makes it hard to concentrate, focus, and frequently makes it difficult to see anything small. I was on a high enough dose that the whole room seemed to spin all the time. It was pretty awful.

I would have appreciated movies, large print books, large print puzzles, music and things of that nature. Anything that required me to focus on small print would have been thrown out in seconds.

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 15, 2011

I was thinking about the same thing as mmswm as in whatever drugs they have her on, could affect her perception. When I was in the hospital after my surgery...they had me on morphine, but I couldn't focus well without closing one eye most of the time...so reading wasn't too possible...much less thrilling for me to do.

Magazines, movies, and the like seem like a good idea!

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2011

I have a great idea. Ask her what you can bring her. She will know if she wants to sew, eat, or read.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 16, 2011

This isn't anything to do, but bring her a nice box of Kleenex or Puffs tissues. Those hospital ones are horrible!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 16, 2011

I was going to say a notebook (this way she can jot things down for the baby book or whatever) or a baby book that she could work on.

Kleenex Glenda is a great idea or even Toilet paper that is soft!!!

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 16, 2011

Funny story about the cardiac diet in hospitals. They day after my dad was airlifted to the cardiac hospital after a heart attack, guess what his dinner was? A hamburger and Lays potato chips. Not even the baked ones, but the real fried ones.:dizzy: I know they have nutritionists in hospitals but it seemed like a funny meal to feed him so soon after his heart attack.

17. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 16, 2011

I do not have much to add, besides a possible season or two of her favorite show. Or, you could bring in a season of a show you think she would like. When I was on bedrest I plowed through seasons of shows and really enjoyed it because at the cliffhanger I could just play the next episode. It also has many more hours then a movie or several movies.

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2011

wow :dizzy:

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 16, 2011

OOooooo

If she had a laptop...could you GIFT her a one month subscription to netflix? She could use it for the hospital AND for recovery.

Is that something you can DO? I don't know. (But if it WERE, I would go GAGA with that.... all those instant on-line choices!!

20. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Mar 17, 2011

Definately get her some embroidery stuff. Go to JoAnne's and get some of the iron on transfers - get the ones for pillow cases, not dish towels. Choose about 10 different colors of embroidery thread that would look nice with the pattern you have chosen. Be sure to get a small pair of scissors, a 6 inch wooden embroidery hoop, and some gold head needles. Then go to WalMart and get a set of white pillow cases. Iron on the pattern for her before you give them to her. The directions to iron on the pattern are easy to follow - just don't leave the pattern on too long or the transfer is too dark and might not wash out. If I was stuck in the hospital waiting for a baby to be born, I would be thrilled to death to get a gift like that!! Don't worry about what meds she is on - she is pregnant so she likely isn't on anything.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 17, 2011

Yeah, when my mom was in the hospital after an allergic reaction to some medication, she was put on a cardiac diet.

It was this greyish slop. pretty much saltless broth for dinner