what sheets should I get?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bonneb, Sep 7, 2014.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 7, 2014

I need advice. Sheets are so expensive. I'm looking for good quality sheets that will help DH sleep w/minimal sweating. What can you all recommend?

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2014

I'm a sheet fanatic and wash my sheets a few times a week. Not much is better than fresh, cool sheets!

My favorite are a very smooth and soft Calvin Klein set. They are only 500 thread count, but the cotton is excellent quality. I also have some Ralph Lauren 800 tc sheets, but those are hideously expensive unless you have an outlet nearby and luck out. I've had mine for over 10 yrs. I'd kind of like a new color but the darn things won't wear out so I have no excuse to replace them.

In general, I'd look for anything over 450tc and either Pima or Egyptian cotton. Cotton quality is much more important than thread count once you get over 400. High thread count sheets are really popular these days, but most aren't that great. If possible, I'd go to Macys or somewhere so you can feel the samples.

Nice sheets are expensive but if the quality is there, you should be able to wash them 1-2x a week for years and years and they will only get softer. I have three sets and they are all over 6-7 yrs.

You can always check ebay! I have a few CK duvet covers and got most of them new with tags from eBay at a significant savings.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 7, 2014

I love Waterford, Lauren, Hotel Collection, and good Egyptian cotton. Do I like to pay full price for the things? No way! I do shop Ebay, Craigslist, and the clearance sections of better stores to get the best bang for my buck. I have used cotton jersey knit, but they don't wear as well. In the fall and winter, I will go with a non-poly blend flannel, as the 100% cotton wicks away moisture. In flannel, you just want to be sure to have a little leeway in sizing, as they will shrink a certain amount. A tiny touch of polyester will give a soft "hand" to the sheets, and may improve wear, but I love all cotton. They feel so nice, crisp and clean, on wash day.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 8, 2014

Whatever you choose, remember that yes sheets are expensive, but what else do you use-and have physical contact with-every single day?

It took me a while to come to this conclusion. I'd always go cheap or middle of the road, and ended up replacing them when the elastic wore out, or the color faded, or they piled.

I finally decided to splurge, and I realized it wasn't really splurging when you use something so often. And it feels really really good to have nice sheets. Now, I have my expensive sheets (I can't tell you the brand but I got them from Kohl's), and my middle of the road set that I use when I wash the nice ones.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 8, 2014

We use T-shirt sheets in the summer, and flannel in the winter. I know it's very child-like, but they are so cozy!

7. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Sep 8, 2014

I've gotten fairly inexpensive linens from Target (Shabby Chic brand) that I find very comfortable (and cool), which is good since I'm pretty sensitive to scratchy/rough material. They wash very well, too.