What qualities make a good superintendent?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 17, 2018

How long did your previous supt. remain on the job? Do you know where he/she was rehired?

2. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2018

A few years. He is retiring.

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 17, 2018

One of the hallmarks of an effective leader is understanding the value of being visible and accessible to workers (in this case, teachers). If you have ever watched Undercover Boss on television, you may have seen the importance of this aspect of effective leadership. A large district like yours is typically top-heavy with district office administrators. Your new superintendent should have the foresight to require every one of them to visit schools on a monthly basis - dividing up the 350 among themselves would be a good collaborative exercise in the right direction!

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 17, 2018

Our superintendent is subpar. And she's been around this district for a very long time. She was a teacher, VP, P, Director of xyz, so on and so forth. She's just biding time until she's eligible for retirement. I must admit, though, that's she's wise enough to hire really smart assistant superintendents! They're the ones who have intense workloads.

I'm completely certain we won't hire from the outside when she finally retires. One of our assistant superintendents will move up.

5. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 17, 2018

Here's an article that sums up the current state of affairs on this controversial subject.

6. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 17, 2018

We have about 19 schools total 11 elementary schools 4 middle schools 4 high schools

7. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 17, 2018

My guess is he knows how to get the job done!

8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2018

Listening to teachers and at actually caring what they say
    Treating teachers like they exist
    Remembering teachers' names or at least positions after having met them multiple times
    ... all of which seem beyond most supers I have worked for...

9. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 17, 2018

I concur - whenever any of the superintendents I worked for met with groups of teachers, the supt. did all the talking. It would have been nice if the teachers were invited to voice their concerns, ask questions or offer suggestions in these informal gatherings. Must it always be top-down? :sleepsymbol:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  10. Kindergally

Kindergally Rookie

Apr 19, 2018

Someone who has teaching experience and isn't a crook. Our superintendent was just indicted for perjury and is being sentenced tomorrow. We just had a new one elected yesterday who was also part of the same scam but didn't get charged by the state. Our county is in a huge uproar over this.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Apr 19, 2018

Our superintendent is fine. He's our former business administrator though so his focus is sometimes not where the staff might prefer. For the most part he stays out of everyone's business and it works out fine that way.

12. Been There

Been There Habitué

Apr 19, 2018

So, what strong leadership characteristics does he possess and what has he done for your district since arriving on the job? Merely keeping a low profile while collecting a 6-figure salary is not my idea of a good superintendent. I think it has become the acceptable norm in too many districts to be happy with the supt. that tends to "stay out of everyone's business". IMO, that's no way to run a business and is often the crux of the problem!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018