What percent of the school day do you teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Jan 13, 2018.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Jan 13, 2018

Or, perhaps put better, have classes you are responsible for.

I teach 5 out of 9 periods (~56%) (closer to 50% if you consider the 4 minutes of "passing time" between periods as not having a class, but can't really do much with that time anyway). I've always felt I would love to teach 7 (or at least 6) out of 9 if I could be paid for those extra classes proportionately, but our district doesn't allow that unless there is an emergency (which only seems to happen in computer science...).

3. rpan

rpan Comrade

Jan 13, 2018

I teach 4 classes or 16 hours out of a possible 25 hours of teacher contact time in a student’s weekly timetable. We have had to teach as much as 18 hours per week - that was really tough.

Teachers’ daily timetable can range from 40% to 100% of student contact time. Some days we get no breaks at all, but other days we will have more breaks. But the total teaching time per week currently is 16 hours. The remaining 9 hours is prep time, although realistically, there is a lot of paperwork, emails, parent calls etc. that take away from prep time.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 13, 2018

Our kid day is from 9:20-4:00. I teach for 4 hours and 50 minutes of that (5 hours and 10 minutes if you include monitoring recess). Approximately 73% of the school day (77% of the day with recess).

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2018

To expand on this, how much prep time do you have? I've heard some other countries have significantly greater preparation time (though, I think those countries also have longer school days -- so you could view the US as just giving you prep time at home).

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jan 13, 2018

I have students from 7:45 to 3:00, with my kid-free time being 11:30 to 1:00.

I teach four language arts classes and two reading classes.

7. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jan 13, 2018

I teach from 7:45 to 2:50. I have 5 prealgebra classes and one algebra class. I am free from 10:50 - 12:15.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Jan 13, 2018

Good question. Our day goes 7:35-2:25 with 9 periods. Of the 4 periods I don't teach, I have two 42 min preps, one 42 min duty-free lunch, and one 42 min duty (the duties are like hall duty or study hall though, so it is easy to get work done then). Since my 5 classes are all the same, it ends up being a lot of time to prep for really just one class. I do often find myself giving extra help to students during my prep periods though.

9. blazer

blazer Groupie

Jan 13, 2018

I am currently on a 2 day per week contract up until the end of March. I teach a full day on both days plus a tutor group before school starts. So five 1 hour periods of teaching and the 20 minute tutor group. Initially I have one hour free on one of the days but the school has given me a class in that period as well.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2018

Our student day runs from 8:00-3:30. I am with them all day except for a 20 minute lunch.

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Cohort

Jan 13, 2018

This begs the usual question: Are you teacher or slave?

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.
  12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 13, 2018

We all teach 7/8 periods. We also have a 30 minute lunch.

13. JimG

JimG Rookie

Jan 13, 2018

Using class periods as the metric: 86% (six out of seven).

Using contract minutes as the metric: 66% (327/480 minutes I am directly responsible for a class).

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Jan 13, 2018

I teach 4/7 periods and have three preps. This year, I teach AP Stats, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, and Geometry. My school is very generous with preps — you typically get one prep for each class and the student-to-teacher ratio is 15:1. Oh yeah! :)

I’ve taught Advanced Pre-Algebra all the way up to AP Calculus BC. Though, my schedule changes every year practically. For example, last year I taught two periods of AP Stats and two periods of Pre-Calculus. The year before that, three periods of Geometry, 1 period of AP Stats, and one period of Algebra 2. For my first year, I taught Geometry, Advanced Pre-Algebra, AP Stats, and Algebra 1.

The best part is that I get to teach every math class at the high school level. I could just teach the same classes year after year, but that would get boring and repetitive, which is why I always request to teach different math classes at the end of the year. My principal tries to accommodate you as best they can and routinely cycles the classes I teach.

During the summer time, I am going to teach Abstract Math and Advanced Calculus at the local community college because my Bachelors and Masters allow me to do that. :D

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jan 13, 2018

We get 55 minutes of planning time a day, but that also includes one day that I meet with the SED teacher, one day that we meat as a team, one day that I meet with my content partner, and one day that we meat with the team regarding students in our targeted group. So, only one day a week is truly free for me to do that I want.

16. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 13, 2018

I teach between 3-5 classes a day of 56 mins (we have a rotating drop schedule, so I have two days of 3 classes, one day of 4, and one day of 5). I’m guaranteed one prep a day at 56 mins but can have two on the days I only teach 3 classes. We have 8 periods total but only 6 meet a day. So two “drop”. Some weeks are better than others depending on what day falls on Monday/Friday. If the day I teach all five falls on a Monday, then it is also on Friday,which is a rough week. One of my preps is technically a productivity period and I can be called to sub, but it has only happened to me twice this year and I can still work when I’m pulled to sub. I actually really like this schedule cuz even though I teach 5 classes, I don’t teach them all every day (except 1/4 days). Last year I had 5 classes too but I taught 4-4-4-3 so I never taught all five in one day. This year it’s 5-4-3-3. With four different preps, it’s much more manageable to plan this way.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2018

I have classes all 7 periods in a 7-period day. Most teachers have one prep period without students, but I don't. I "sold" my prep, so I am paid my hourly rate for it. It's a substantial amount of money.

We do have about a half hour between the start of contract time and the first bell, and most teachers use that as additional prep time. I have students during that time as well, though, so I don't get any dedicated prep time during the day at all.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 13, 2018

I teach 6/7 periods, or 86%. If divided by minutes, including my duties, it is more like 82%

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 13, 2018

My students have a seven and half hour day. I teach six hours and 15 minutes each day.

20. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jan 13, 2018

I am responsible for students about 71% of the day. I have 15 minutes before I get students, and about 20 after they leave. I also have about 100 minutes of planning time in there. As mentioned by some other posters, a lot of the 29% I am without students is taken by other school obligations.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:03 AM

I have ED students, or have duties that involve them, 82% of the time that they are in the building, however, I have about an hour and a half a day student free time during my contracted time. During that time, about an hour and a half of that time, per week (20%), is dedicated to meetings of a various nature, such as staff meetings, PD, admin meetings, etc. I've had jobs with more kid fee time, but more obligation/duties that eat up a fair amount of that time, so this feels pretty good to me. If we do work though lunch or a prep because we have student duties, we are paid for that. I would say we are truly "on" during the 82% of the student time we work, but have a nice balance of time that is student free, even if other school functions eat up some of that "prep" time. Used judiciously, it is long enough, it is almost enough time that, for the most part, school stays at school, not bleeding over into my unpaid away from school time. I have worked at schools where a lot of time is spent at home for preps/grading/planning, so I think it is an OK trade-off.