What order you teach sight words?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jlj, Dec 27, 2008.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 27, 2008

What order do you teach sight words?

The Dolch list is in abc order. Wondering what order you actually teach sight & high frequency words? How many per week?:thanks:

3. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Jan 8, 2009

I use sight words that I pulled off line from our Florida literacy website. This website provided me the top 300 sight words that enable children to read 60% of all written material. I only have a class of 9 students in a private school, so I'm probably not much help... Our public school district recommends 18 words for kindergarten. (These are not dolch). My students have learned 70 in the first 1/2 of kindergarten, and we learn approximately 6 per week.

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jan 8, 2009

What series do you use? Our reading series (Scott Foresman - Reading Street) addresses 2-3 words every 2 weeks. Obviously some of the children learn more but I formally introduce two/three every other week. We start with the and little. a, I, am, can, to, have, see, for, she, he, look, with, etc. I think it's important to first introduce words that don't have the same number of letters or begin with the same letter. Most of my children didn't understand why he couldn't be little. They didn't get the entire first letter first sound at the beginning of the year. Also, you want to choose words that you can use to find short books and dictate sentences. I am little. was my children's first dictated sentence and they were so proud!:) Soon I begin adding number and color words. My children now know 25 high frequency words. I also send home word rings with the words for the children to practice at home.

I spend a lot of my reading time doing sounds and letters. I think it is most important for the children to be able to decode. If they leave my class knowing all their sounds and letters and 50or so high frequency words I feel they are ready for reading in first grade!:) I hope this helps!

5. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

Our students are required by the district to learn 100 sight words in kindergarten. I have to use the district list but can do it in whatever order I feel I need to. I start off with the color words because we are teaching colors, though they are long and difficult it seems to help to get them from the beginning. Then I go back to the shorter words and move up from there. I like to group words together that can make a sentence (when I introduce the word "I", I also introduce "see" and "a" because we can use this as a sentence and they can use that in centers to write). I introduce 3 to 4 a week at the beginning the 4 to 5 a week by the second nine weeks.

I am curious what others think about sight words. I taught first grade using Reading Street and they had an ample amount of sight words to learn - I thought it was enough to help them read but not too much. My daughter is in first grade this year and she has to learn over 300 sight words this year. Just curious what the thoughts are out there about memorizing so many words.

6. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 17, 2009

In the beginning of the year, we did ABC order, but words that were close together confused them a bit (like the words it, is, in). Now we mix them up.

After Christmas we started doing 10 words a week (5 new, 5 review) but in the beginning we only did 5.

7. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 17, 2009

300 sounds like a lot, but the more she knows the better reader/writer she'll be.

8. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Jan 17, 2009

I am a kindergarten teacher, and we started out learning six words per week, and are now learning ten words per week. My students have learned approximately 80 words now. My goal is for them to know 300 sight words prior to first grade.

I have a list of 300 sight words that encompass 60% of all written material.

My class has only 9 students in private school with awesome parental participation regarding homework skills and studying. Without this, I am sure that accomplishing this would be extremely difficult.

I think 100 by the end of kindergarten and 300 more for first grade is great !! Given the correct words, this can enable your daughter to become an fantastic reader.

My students have also learned via phonics CVC words, long/short vowel combinations, blends, etc. All of my children except one can read and comprehend Magic Treehouse Books. The one child I have takes a little longer to learn everything, but still has learned almost 50 sight words, and most everything else.

You are very lucky... in our public school district, our students are expected to know 18 sight words in kindergarten... ewwww....

9. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 17, 2009

Could you share this list?

10. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Jan 17, 2009

11. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 17, 2009

Yes! Thanks!

12. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jan 17, 2009

Wow - 18? Not very challenging .... I agree that we should give them a foundation of the sight words and our 100 is a good number for kindergarten based on our class size and less support from home than in a private school setting.

I like that my daughter is being challenged, I guess I feel the memorization is pushed harder than the phonetic skills.

I think its great that you can take advantage of the class size you have and the parental support to take your students to that level!

13. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jan 17, 2009

True!

14. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

How do you all teach the sight words? I'd love some fun ideas.
    Thanks!

15. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 18, 2009

We play hangman and Around the World...but mostly we move around while we spell them. We "punch out" the letters (they punch every time they say a letter).

I also have pre-primer, primer, and first grade words on powerpoint. I flash those almost daily.

16. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Jan 19, 2009

We write them five times each (daily) if we have 6 words, and three times each (daily) if we have ten words.

17. luvtoteach

luvtoteach Rookie

Jan 19, 2009

I do something different each day of the week. We add them to the word wall Monday. When we do this we look at the way each word looks (my word wall words have boxes around them) and see what parts we know. We also think of a sentence for each word then one student puts it up on the wall. Tuesday I write the words for the week all over the board and have students get up and circle one, underline one, box one, circle the "e" in one word, etc.... I also try to add in challenges by having someone change the word if it is possible (i.e. change my to me, fun to run, ran to fan). Wednesday I put up magnetic letters on the board for one word at a time and they have to unscramble the letters. Thursday changes all the time - just a fun activity (I like the punching out the letters idea someone mentioned above - I will have to try that one some week). Friday we do a game of some kind (short and sweet like "I am thinking of ...). I also have a center with the sight words.

18. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Jan 19, 2009

Something else--we test them on sight words on Friday. I type the words out and say, Circle "I" red...Circle "me" green, etc... it lets you know how much they've retained. Now we use them as the spelling test words, but for my non-writers (I have 3) and for anyone that doesn't make 100, I go back and let them circle them like we used to do. Sometimes they can recognize them, but not write them.

19. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jan 25, 2009

Great ideas, thanks for sharing! I have started using word families as our spelling words and at least two sight/high frequency words for a total of 10 words per week. They write their words in their planners on Monday so the parents can help at home. We do various activities throughout the week, then have our test the following Monday. I find that by giving them a week in class and a week-end for the parents to hopefully take more time with them as well, the children do better. Also, by using word families, they are also rhyming, etc. Most catch on quickly that the last two letters are the same, they're only changing the first letter. Yes, it does make it too easy for some but there are those that will miss some of them. They do have a better chance for success and they're actually enjoying spelling!!
    What's your thoughts? Thanks again!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2009

Ouch.

My daughter has a brand new kindergarten teacher.

She knows probably about 10 sight words. I've gotten concerned enough that the other night I started working with her on some of the simple words that are probably on that list. Things have been insane this year, so I haven't been on top of everything the way I was with her older brother and sister, but I KNOW I remember them knowing a LOT more words by this point in time.

Thanks for the info; I'm really going to step it up.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2009

I found on the web a game called BANG!!! Have any of you used it or heard of it?!?