What kinds of things have you had to miss school for?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Mar 13, 2018

Agreed! I barely want to go to my own wedding, haha! I like the commitment, not the pressure of the event!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 13, 2018

You are a very sensible person.

ssgirl11 likes this.
  3. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 13, 2018

@futuremathsprof, I fear/hope the universe creates you your own romcom.

I like romance and I like weddings, but if were given the responsibility of picking if government watched marriages or not, I'd say not.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 13, 2018

I have zero qualms about using sick days. None whatsoever. I think I have about 40 days banked right now, though.

geoteacher and Backroads like this.
  5. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 13, 2018

I hope you never have to deal with sickness or death of a parent. I hope that you never have to help a child who is dealing with mental health issues. I hope that you never have an elderly parent who needs your help. I take my personal days seriously, but my family will always come first. I give my all for my students, but I also realize that I am not irreplaceable to them; I am to my family.

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 13, 2018

I’m not saying that you can’t or shouldn’t use your personal days for family emergencies, doctor’s visits, car repairs, etc. Those are legitimate reasons to take time off work. However, I AM saying that you should limit your use of them to those instances only. For example, taking a day off just because you feel like it is not fair to every other worker who doesn’t have the luxury to do that at their place of work, and it is certainly not fair to your students for them to miss a day of education because you didn’t feel like teaching that day. Teachers are typically contracted to work 180 calendar school days and should actually work on those days.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 13, 2018

I think most teachers agree to use them responsibly. But I don't think we should fear using them to the point of being misers.

8. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Mar 13, 2018

How do you look at professional development opportunities in the context of this question? You are out of the classroom, but you are gaining valuble skills. My principal actively encourage PD days, but I always dread the day my students get behind.

I also think of the ten sick days we get and I just worked through a terrible sore throats and cough. Ethically, I feel that I am exposing all my students to a virus. Yet, so many have been out with the flu that my little virus was nothing. I thought of calling in, but just felt sicker in a different way at the thought of it. I like the idea of banking sick days and getting them paid out! I will have to ask my building secretary about that!

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

I’d like to weigh in on this...

If you’ve been in some lousy relationships, divorce and it’s price tag of changing your life can sour your outlook. The pomp and circumstance wedding can be a turn off. I even sold graduation ticket for my 2nd masters because I just wanted to be done. Mail me the degree, I’m not spending $ to walk across the stage.

What I think is unfair is you commit your life to someone, but if they get sick and die, you are left alone and broke. The institution of marriage dictates for richer for poorer, you are supposed to care for one another, and the government will cover you.

If I marry my guy, I stand to lose a big chunk of change from my ex’s social security.

Nothing romantic about that.

But my guy realizes I earn more as a teacher, by living together, isn’t he getting the milk free without buying the cow?

Maybe we should start a new thread....

When I am sick, my job doesn’t pay sick days. So if my man gets sick, should I stay home and care for him? He won’t reimburse me for missing work. Or stay home with sick grand baby so daughter won’t miss work? She only offers 1/3 of what I earn in a day. Is that fair??

If I was married and worked for a public school, I could get paid in all 3 situations.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

I found free CPUs and my director didn’t want to pay me for them! Not fair for me to use my nights and weekends for job related trainings. I always find this a Catch-22. You want to improve yourself but school hesitant to pay you! :confused:

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 31, 2018

Very valid points. I, too, get paid in all 3 situations at my private school. It is very competitive in terms of benefits and salary packages. However, I just don’t believe in marriage. I stand to lose a lot more than I will gain.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2018

I would to discuss this more. Seriously considering a domestic partnership, simply so we can have medical benefits and rights to care for one another, but taxes and social security won't be affected. Care to join me in a new thread??

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 31, 2018

Sure, I’m down. If you can start it, then I’ll continue our conversation!

15. whizkid

whizkid Comrade

Mar 31, 2018

Whatever I want. Lol

Sick and personal days help you keep your sanity. I roll a few over now than earlier in my career, but I'm taking both every year!

Backroads likes this.
  16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 1, 2018

I normally only take off a coupe of days per semester for being sick or needing a day away from it all(mental health day). This year I have taken a lot. I have been dealing with extreme shoulder pain, started in July but really started affecting me in November and since the beginning of January I have been living in extreme pain. That meant being in pain while not even doing anything, at night waking up every 2 hours from pain, to the point of crying (and I'm not a crier). I tried chiropractor, and acupuncturist (all after school hours), nothing worked. In January I went to a doctor who diagnosed me with frozen shoulder, a lot of inflammation, adhesions and a tear. I took some days off because I just couldn't deal with pain. Cortisone shot didn't work, and even physical therapy didn't work. I would say I probably took off about 5-7 days since January, and I just had surgery 3 days ago. I'll be off for a month, possibly another week or so if I need it and I'm not going to worry about anything.
    I have suffered enough, worked under being medicated, in pain, and it was just horrible. Classroom management suffered a little because who wants to argue and battle over little stuff when all you want to do is lay down and cry??
    I had to make lesson plans for the entire 4 weeks, I even had all copies made for 80% f the work and have a good sub in place, so I won't feel guilty, all I will focus on is getting better and not stress.
    I'm sure this is a once in a life time deal (hopefully) and this is exactly why we have sick leave.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2018

Hope things get better Linguist92021....

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 1, 2018

Hoping for the best for you, Linguist!

I've taken some sick days this year after taking none in my first year at my current school. Two days were for the flu, but the rest were to get a diagnosis for a chronic health issue. I've only taken two or three personal days in the past two years.

19. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Apr 1, 2018

The 3-4 months you get off throughout the year in the form of short days, minimum days, and extended breaks is not enough for you to keep your sanity, lol?

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 1, 2018

Thank you everyone