What kinds of things have you had to miss school for?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Mar 11, 2018.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2018

If we're truly irreplaceable, to the point that one day away means that students cannot still make progress in some respects, then we could definitely do a better job! (Think about a boss not being in one day: if the employees can't step up and take leadership in that moment...the boss could do a better job with their employees -- it isn't all content, it's also about those interdisciplinary skills!) In addition, I think it's important that we accept and are okay with both people who use days and who don't use days, so long as it's not harmful to the students (i.e. coming in with a severe sickness).

While I've not taken any other days outside of the memorial/graduation (both extremely important in my life), that's partially due to how long I take in writing sub plans and thus it not being as worthwhile. That might change later in my career.

Besides, someone who takes more days off might be fresher and might do better on those days than those who didn't take any days. Or those who didn't take days might end up finding that they got through a bit more. Or those who took days off might not be any fresher, or those who didn't take days off might not have got through any more than those who did take days off......

Too many variables, not something worth worrying about...we each are ourselves, do what we know is going to be the best for us and our kids, and move on...no judgment!

Backroads likes this.
  2. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2018

We're grownups. We miss when it is the only option, and that includes illness in the family, or of one's self, grownup things like appointments that can't be made during non-school hours - car, house, doctor, dentist, etc. Some may use all available days, others will use virtually none. Not a right or wrong way to have an absence if there is a legitimate need. I'm a teacher, not a slave to my job - life happens.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2018

My time out of the classroom is usually because of workshops or committee meetings (in fact, I just received an email that I have been selected to attend a 2-day conference focused on student well-being). Over the past couple of years I have also missed days to due my MIL's funeral, my daughter's convocation, and the appointments that resulted from falling at work and breaking my wrist. I do usually miss a couple of days each year due to illness (or for mental health days). I probably use about half of my available days each year--more than I used to before we lost the ability to bank them. I work hard on my sub plans and don't feel guilty for time I need to be away from my class.

Backroads likes this.
  4. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Mar 12, 2018

I teach a fairly rarely-spoken language, and it's almost impossible to find subs who speak it. So, if I miss a day, I can only leave review work or cultural extension projects, and we get behind a day on the curriculum. I make it work when necessary, but I also try not to call out unless it's really essential. I am usually sick once or twice a year, although so far, this year is the first year in my entire ten years where I haven't gotten sick over the winter (knocking on wood as I type this!).

I have also taken days for funerals -- too many, in the past few years. This is also my first year not having to go to a funeral in a while -- again, I hope I don't jinx it...

Caesar753 likes this.
  5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 12, 2018

I've missed for weddings, funerals, a special occasion trip, sick days, and appointments. I do my best to schedule appointments outside of school hours, but it doesn't help when some offices close so early I've also missed for field trips and professional development.
    I average about three days a year, with this year being a weird outlier year.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2018

I used to teach a less-commonly-taught language as well, and it was always such a chore to prepare for a sub. For that reason, I tried to avoid missing school unless it was very serious and/or contagious.

futuremathsprof and ms.irene like this.
  7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 12, 2018

I try very hard to not miss work. Typically, I miss 1-3 days, not counting workshops. Those days are usually because of something unavoidable: illness, medical procedures etc.

This year I will take a total of 3 days because both of my kids either have or will be graduating from college. I've taken a day for illness this year, thankfully we've had snow days to help me recover.

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 12, 2018

I don’t ever get sick and don’t believe in going to weddings. I didn’t go to my brother’s wedding and I won’t go for anyone one else’s. I would, however, go to a family member’s funeral. That is the only reason I would ever use a personal day. If it’s not an emergency like that, then they will not be used at all. Period.

Backroads likes this.
  9. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 12, 2018

How can you not believe in going to weddings? Lol

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 12, 2018

Please explain. I'm curious. Why go to a funeral where the guest of honor is dead and won't have a clue you're there, but not to a wedding where you welcome a new member of your family?

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  11. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Mar 12, 2018

I missed a day when we moved into our apartment my first year of teaching and this year (my second) I missed 1.5 days from being sick at another 1.5 when my mom was rushed and admitted to the hospital from diabetes complications.

I'm honestly proud of myself for not taking any personal days just for a break given how this year has gone for me. The only thing stopping me is that I hate doing sub plans.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 12, 2018

I think dating and romance are tremendous wastes of time and money. That’s why.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 12, 2018

Because I think they’re stupid!

14. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 13, 2018

Lol. I understand as far as close to 50% failing.... but how is commitment to someone stupid?

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 13, 2018

Maybe he/she is just cheap and doesn't' want to buy a wedding gift LOL

16. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Mar 13, 2018

I don't believe in destination weddings...I believe they are an excuse to get other people to pay for your vacation!

Most of my family lives on the opposite coast and I've missed a lot of weddings since it's just too hard and expensive to fly across country for one day. DH and I usually just send a nice bottle of Champagne :)

futuremathsprof and Backroads like this.
  17. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Mar 13, 2018

This is my first year, and the only two days I have missed have been the day my gradmother passed away and her funeral. Heck, I'm not even missing school for my own wedding! (My wedding is May 26th, and I am going to school for the last week.)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 13, 2018

You don’t need a ceremony and a marital (monetary) contract to be committed to someone. If you are as committed as you say, then you shouldn’t need to be recognized in the eyes of the law to have your relationship validated. (When I say “you,” here, I am not saying YOU, personally.)

19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 13, 2018

I feel this way, not about weddings, but about graduation ceremonies.

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Mar 13, 2018

No, I don’t mind buying a wedding gift, but I disagree with the whole premise of getting married in the first place. I am NEVER tying my finances to anyone. That’s just not happening. Plus, I abhor romance, so there’s that.

whizkid likes this.