What kinds of things have you had to miss school for?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Mar 11, 2018.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 11, 2018

Barely anything for myself. Had a 24 flu. My wife have birth to our beautiful baby girl and also had some complications after. I missed to do on my daughter's field trip to a pumpkin farm also.

What about you?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2018

Only missed school twice so far in my career: once when I took an extra day so I could go cross-country so I could see my youngest sister graduate from college, and the other on the day of my mentor teacher's memorial service.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 11, 2018

How long is your career so far? Mine are generally to help care for my wife and kids, not usually myself. I actually thought I was that guy from the movie "unbreakable" because I can barely remember when I was last sick lol.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2018

This is my fourth full year, and I did a half-year maternity leave position, too.

teacherguy111 likes this.
  6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Mar 11, 2018

Big year for me.
    Had surgery in the fall for a brain tumor so I was out for 6 weeks
    And then missed about 4 days for my wedding (not in town).
    Wedding was 2 months after the surgery.

Edit: if we're including other years, it was mostly illness. One year I had mono so I was out for a month

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  7. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Mar 11, 2018

This year... one absence from stomach bug and I’ll miss a day in April for a church conference since one of my friends is speaking that day. Last year it was only illness - respiratory infection, strep, etc. One day was because of smoke inhalation from a fire in the neighborhood I was house sitting in. My friends’ house almost caught fire with their cat inside, two days after they left on a church trip. It was a nightmare. I took the next day off.

8. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Mar 11, 2018

Let's see, over the years (18)
    • maternity leave - 4 weeks (I had my son in July)
    • broken foot - 1 day
    • pneumonia - 1 day
    • migraines - about five or six times a year
    • son's field trips - about 1 day a year
    • conferences - about two weeks a year (spread out all year)
    • vertigo - 1 day
    • anniversary trip to Hawaii - 1 week
    • can't bear to go to work, so had to stay home - about two weeks, all in one year
    • general days off for either sick or personal - about 4 a year

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 11, 2018

I generally call out for legitimate sickness and mental health days. I've had 2-3 days in 7 years where I've also had to be out because of a wedding, getting the car fixed, etc.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 11, 2018

Naturally I can't cover 25 years worth of absences, but here's a sample . . .

• severe sinus & ear infections
    • flu & pneumonia (missed a whole week)
    • various stomach bugs
    • death of first FIL
    • death of my dad from cancer
    • Mom's cancer surgery & treatments
    • kidney failure
    • taking comps for my MA
    • couple of personal days
    • 2 days a month for a year for jury duty
    • hysterectomy that couldn't wait until summer
    I only miss when I absolutely have to. We get 10 sick and 3 personal days a year. They all roll over. The personal roll over to sick. I had 110.5 days when school started this year.

My DH is the same. He has like 150 days. He hasn't taken any for himself since we have been married. He took one day for me, and he took the others for his son and his late wife.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 11, 2018

Routine illnesses, recovery from emergency surgery, days I took an ambulance ride, funerals of close family, many, many days when my husband was being treated and dying of cancer and the subsequent funeral and a few days for paperwork and will probate, and a few professional development workshops are what I can think of off the top of my head. I was in the negative when my husband was dying but I’ve built some days up in the years since.

12. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Mar 11, 2018

This is my second year, and my first absences will be for maternity leave!

mathmagic likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Mar 12, 2018

This is my 4th year and I have never taken a day off from work and plan to never do so. I don’t believe in using personal days because it negatively affects my students and their learning.

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Mar 12, 2018

That's poppycock! We're entitled to those days so why not take them? I either try to take off on a review or quiz/test day, or find another math teacher who is willing to teach my classes. We all cover each other's classes when necessary as every teacher of the same course teaches the same lesson on the same day. It's great!

I've taken a couple of personal days just for mental health, and one day where I needed to go in for an endoscopy (ugh...).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Mar 12, 2018

I teach AP Stats and AP Calculus AB/BC, not to mention I am a class advisor, I supervise two school clubs, and help students review after school every other day in preparation for their AP tests. If I take a day off, it puts everything behind and several students are effected. For you and others it might not, but it does for me.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 12, 2018

Entitled doesn't mean required. You're totally within your rights to use those days when you want, but there is nothing wrong with not using them either. Some years I don't use any days. A couple of years I've missed more than 30. Most years I miss 1-2.

We get paid for our unused days when we retire. They add that amount to the last year's salary. Our retirement is based on our high 3 or high 5 salaries, and unused sick days makes a huge difference in that.

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Mar 12, 2018

I see. We get our sick days paid upon retirement, but NOT our personal days. Those expire so I make sure to use those every year because there's no benefit to not doing so.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 12, 2018

I've missed for: illness, required workshops, funerals, and emergency home repairs. Next week I will have to miss a day to get my Real ID so I can fly for spring break.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 12, 2018

I don't usually call out sick. I will take days off for doctor's appointments (I will not go to the doctor during a school vacation unless it's an emergency) and I get 2 personal days so I will just take them whenever I can.

20. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 12, 2018

I appreciate this, but are you sure there is never a day that would be more important than being with your students? Would you miss a loved one's wedding/funeral? Would you come to school when you were contagious and risking others' health?

21. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Mar 12, 2018

There have been a few days where I was out sick for myself over the years. But most of it was when my kids were sick, when I was delivering said kids, or when life was crazy. I confess to several days spent at Disney Land and another day spent helping my sister move to college.

I really do firmly believe in using those days reasonably. In fact, because my school just gives out a lump of PTO, we are encouraged in writing to use them (though there are monetary/rollover perks for not using all of them). They are part of our benefits package and I consider teachers as having earned them.

Though last year, when I was out for about a week due to my daughter being seriously ill, one of my kids had... an eventful week. So eventful that this year's teacher was warned that if she anticipated being out for more than a couple of days' straight to move said kid into another teacher's classroom rather than letting Kiddo be in the room with the sub.

So, yeah, I understand not wanting to disrupt learning and, yes, any professional will use days off as reasonably as possible.

But I also think students on the whole are pretty resilient and there are bigger issues afoot if a day or three off now and then ruins their educational career. Stuff happens. This year alone an old friend who also happened to be a teacher died in his sleep (and he wasn't exactly old). I'm pretty sure the school hired another teacher and those kids are probably still learning things.