What kind of books should I buy for my 5th grade class?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Tolmanbridge

Tolmanbridge New Member

May 31, 2007

My grade fours love to read. The subs have said they have never seen a class so eager to read. I model reading while they are and read the same novels so I can discuss them with the students. I use Literature Circles so the students have a choice of hundreds of novels to read. Right now the books my students love are as follows:
    Silverwing and the sequels
    Guardians of G'Hoole
    The Warriors series
    Pendragon series
    Lord of the Rings
    Touching Spirit Bear
    Freeze tag and other books by Carolyn Cooney
    Searching for David's Heart
    Eragon and by the same author
    Hatchet and other books by the same author

2. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

May 31, 2007

Roald Dahl!

3. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

May 31, 2007

I've got the Harry Potter books, and they are STILL popular. I picked up all the books from the Sunshine State Reading List plus whatever else looked cool. :)
    I've got all sorts of stuff covering all topics. Harry Potter, Goosebumps (STILL popular, again!), Alex Rider, American Girls, Artemis Fowl, Charlie Bone, Narnia, pretty much everything from Gordon Korman, Lizzie McGuire, Midnight Library, the Jack Sparrow series, Series of Unfortunate Events, WITCH, Warriors, Winning Season, etc. After my first year, I've got almost 300 books, more than most teacher in my school! It helps that I work in a bookstore. :)
    Anyway, used bookstores are GOLDMINES, as are garage sales ($5 for that HUGE box of books?!? DEAL!). Borders have a good bargain section, but Books-A-Million has a ****LOAD of good, new books for REALLY cheap (like $1 sometimes) which you still get your teacher discount on!
    If I can figure out how to attach something, I'll attack my list of books from my class library so you can browse through it.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 1, 2007

Here is a website you might want to check out. It has book lists of recomended titles by grade level preK-8. I think the books are teacher selected, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I'd suggest getting books on lists for the grade below and above your own so you have a wide range of reading materials for different ability levels. PS These may be Read-Aloud titles; judge for yourself based on your class' abilities.

www.hedgehogbooks.com/index.html

5. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

I will probably be repeating books already suggested but here are books my 5th graders love. :)
    Number the Stars
    *Hatchet, Brian's Winter, Brian's Hunt, Brian's Return, Soldier's Heart
    *Series by Gordon Korman: Dive, Island, On the Run, Kidnapped
    *Books by Peg Kehret-especially Nightmare Mountain, Earthquake *Terror, Escaping the Giant Wave http://www.pegkehret.com/kidsframe.html
    *The Time Bike
    *Dear America and My Name is America books
    *Sally Warner books: Sort of Forever, How to Be a Real Person in Just Three Days
    *Out of the Dust
    *Frindle, One Room, all Robert Clement books
    *Beverly Cleary Books (Ramona, Fudge, Mouse on a Motorcycle, Dear Mr. Henshaw, Strider)
    *Judy Blume books
    *Judith Voight books
    *Dan Gutman books: Babe and Me, Honus and Me, etc., Kid Who Ran for President, Kid Who Became President
    *Soup, Soup and Me, The Teacher's Funeral
    *Chronicles of Narnia series
    *Sharon Creech Bks.:Love That Dog, Granny Torrelli Makes Soup, Pleasing the Ghost
    *Music of Dolphins
    *Sadako
    *Hiroshima
    *Twenty and Ten
    *The Bad Beginning, and sequels
    *Chicken Soup for the Preteen's Soul
    *Little House Books
    *Where the Red Fern Grows
    *Island of the Blue Dolphins
    *Gilly Hopkins
    *Bridge to Terrabithia
    *Sarah, Plain and Tall books
    *Shiloh books
    *Matt Christopher books
    *Dean Hughes books
    *Sounder
    *Old Yeller
    *A Wrinkle in Time
    *My Side of the Mountain series
    *We'll Always Remember You, Roberto Clemente, Pride of Puerto Rico
    *Jackie Robinson books: Jackie and Me; Jackie's Nine; Thank You, Jackie Robinson; Stealing Home
    *In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

Books I use for novel studies are: Dear Mr. Henshaw, The Hundred Dresses, Pedro's Journal, Kid Who Ran For President,The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Sign of the Beaver, My Side of the Mountain, George Washington's Socks, and our all time favorite: Night of the Twisters. :)

6. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

I collect multiple copies and do lit circles instead of DEAR reading. The kids really seem to love sharing a book together and get so excited by what they read. It is so rewarding when they literally run up to me to share something from a book they are reading that has touched them in a special way. :)

We also do Lunch Bunch twice a week where students read a book independently and then meet over lunch to discuss it. :) Borrowed from Laura Candler's amazing site!http://home.att.net/~teaching/lunchbunch.htm

I use all of my bonus points from scholastic book orders to add to our library. The kids order from both Lucky and Arrow book clubs. I also set myself a limit to spend on e-bay each summer, and have really gotten wonderful books the past two summers in that way. At our school, when we do requisitions, we can put a rider or placeholder in which is what I do for e-bay each summer. I pay for the books, but then am reimbursed by my district up to the amount in the placeholder. As suggested before, rummage sales and library discards are also great places to collect books. And though I hate to confess to it, I , like most teachers, spend way too much of my own money! Books are my weakness! :eek:

Best of luck in 5th grade! 5th grade is a wonderful level to teach!! :angel:

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2007

:D :D :D :D

I got the books that I ordered from Scholastic. I also recieved boxes and boxes full of books from the other teacher. One of my summer projects is to put colored dots and my name on my books. Hee, hee.... so excited!!! :D :D :D

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2007

Thanks for sharing your ideas for reading. I will have to think about how I will do reading in my class. Our last day was today and along with the end of the year festivities, we also had to pack up and move all of our things, so I'm exhasted. Too exhausted to really think right now.

9. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

Rest up and enjoy your break!! We have been out for a week, and it has been so wonderful! I think I am finally rested and recovered! I had better be, as I have had a very bad case of the lazys all this week! :D BUT, now I am getting excited to start planning for next year....there is nothing like turning over that proverbial new sheet, full of endless possibilities!! Best of luck in fifth grade and enjoy all those new and exciting changes in store for you!!! :angel:

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

When I get used books, I clean the covers with hand sanitizer. Makes me feel better.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2007

Good idea! :eek:

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 1, 2007

Someone (on another thread) mentioned laminating paperback books. I've laminated posters before, but not books. Can someone clue me in to how this is done?

13. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jun 1, 2007

I wrote down a lot of the suggestions the first time this thread came through.

Just wanted to add - I have started reading all of the new books that I get for my library. I get a lot at the bookfair and picked up a series at B&N that a student recommended. When I bring in a book I have just read, I make a big deal about adding it to the library. I comment on how much I have enjoyed it. Fortunately, I truly have enjoyed all of them so that makes it easier. My kids run over each other to get the books that I have read. Quite a few have picked up books and actually stuck with them. Usually they take them for that 15 minutes of quiet reading and them put them back.

14. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

Is it, The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters ?

If so, I read that book this past year. It was one of our Texas Bluebonnet Award books. It was a cute book!

15. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

One suggestion that I have for labeling your books is to get a set of address labels with a monogram. I got gold labels with my last name as the monogram and the "address" part says,
    first line.... From the library of...
    second line.... Mrs. W______.
    third line... Please return when finished.

I place them on the bottom of the spine... slick, slick, slick!!! I have had great success with this. My books can easily be identified because of the gold label. As a matter of fact, this year one of my students attempted to take one of my books to replace the copy from our school library she had lost. She ripped off my label which damaged the paper on the spine... she was caught red-handed.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2007

Good idea! Thnaks for sharing how you lable your books. And they have gold lables? I'll have to look for those.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 2, 2007

I reinforce the covers and spines of my paperbacks with clear packaging tape. This helps keep the covers from being ripped off easily.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

If fantasy won't horrify your parents, try Sherwood Smith's Wren series (Wren to the Rescue, Wren's Quest, Wren's War), which is set in another land and another time, or Diane Duane's entirely nifty Young Wizards series (begins with So You Want to Be a Wizard), which is mostly set in contemporary suburban New York state. Both do really well with key character and ethical issues, and both are very well written (Sherwood, in fact, has taught middle school English).

19. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2007

Try "bookcloseouts" for getting books cheap!

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 12, 2007

Another fun fantasy series to read are Anne McCaffery's Dragonriders of Pern series. She has some others that are more space travel oriented, but I love the dragonriders!