What is too late to call a teacher on school nights?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mandagap06, Mar 18, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 18, 2009

I was just wondering what is too late to call a teacher on a school night? As a sub I get calls @ night to sub. Since I am in school 2 nights a week until 9:30 sometimes 10pm I might not get the call until then. I have gotten the call @ 10pm before and did not want to call back for fear of waking up the family. Some of the teachers (and I know it for a fact) have kids from birth-3yrs old also some are school age and I do not want to wake them. If you call a sub @ night is there a time limit. Like example, if they have not called you back by x time you give up on them?

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2009

Our sub system is automatic, so I don't have to call subs or anything like that. But as a rule, I don't call my P after 8:30pm unless its an emergency...she has a 5 year old daughter. Or if she calls and says I can call up until a certain time, I'll go by that.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 18, 2009

I would say if they are looking for a sub, they should expect a call back. I don't think 10 is too late either. I would rather get a call at 10pm than 5am.

Plus, and this is from personal experience only, I wouldn't think a phone should wake up kids. Notice the should-we have never been quiet after our kids go to bed, because we don't want them waking at a feather drop.

It would be different if you are calling to chat-but you have to get yourself ready. I would just call.

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 19, 2009

My general rule for calling people is 9 pm unless I know for sure that they are up late.

I guess I don't understand how your system works, because subs here never have to call the teacher. If a teacher is waiting on a call back from you, then I wouldn't think 10 pm was too late to call, no matter what the situation. If I wasn't going to be in the next day and needed a sub and was depending on that sub to call me back, I wouldn't sleep until it was settled, anyway.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2009

If they called you to sub, then I would say call them back whenever you can.

We don't call our own subs, so I don't know.

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 19, 2009

Our sub system works this way: if a teacher needs a sub they call for it or they do not have a sub. The office or Principal would call only for 2 reasons you are sick and not able to call to find one or 2 it is a meeting then it is up to the school to get a sub for you. We do not have sub systems or sub ppl to get one for the staff. I talking in the case that a sub calls and says ms. ---- i need a sub for tomorrow are you able to sub. I was not able to answer the call so I course get left with a phone number either cell or home to return the call at!

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2009

I think if I was the teacher in that situation, as part of the message I'd say, "You can call me as late as ______." Because, honestly, if I needed a sub and didn't have one, you could call me at 3 am for all I care. At least then I'd know you could cover it for me.

Since they don't let you know how late you can call, if you CAN accept the job, I'd call as late as 10:30. I wouldn't call that late to decline the job, however!