What is the best color classroom for you?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jeyd, May 21, 2014.

1. Jeyd

Jeyd New Member

May 21, 2014

especially in elementary

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 21, 2014

Our rooms are blue. Supposed to be calming. I have seen classrooms at my daughters school done in yellow, orange, etc. Something bright and cheerful.

I guess it would depend on how you wanted your students to behave. Calm or alert. :D

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 21, 2014

My classroom had 3 blue walls, and I got special permission to paint one wall a bright lime green. It was mostly covered by a board, but I felt like it was the focal point in the room. And, I had no windows, so the blue/green combo felt a little like outside.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 21, 2014

Actually, a few years ago, our super allowed each elementary teacher to choose the colors they wanted their walls painted. It was funny-each color/colors really matched the personality of the individual teacher. The 3rd grade teacher, calm and quiet, was muted olive greens, the 1st grade teacher, big personality, was bright blue and yellow, the 5th grade teacher, very refined and dignified, was all beige, and me, go getter and out there, bright blue and green.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

At my last school, three walls were a grey color with one wall being purple (our school colors).

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 21, 2014

Our rooms are cream colored, and I like it. It's warm and it doesn't clash with posters or student work.

9. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 21, 2014

I actually prefer neutral colors. I'm also a former real estate agent, so as a general rule neutral sells better than loud or mood colors.

I don't like rooms that look all colorful and have a bunch of kid posters on the walls and stuff. This is also partly due to PTSD when I was verbally abused by a daycare center teacher and going into a room such as that again brings back painful memories.

I also think regular lighting, is good as well.

So basically colors such as white, silver, or grayish green I see as the most appropriate for any setting really.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

All of ours are cream as well; they have been in every school I've ever been in. The small section of wall above my door is painted a bright green (different classrooms have different colours); it adds a nice pop of colour and I've purchased baskets, etc. to match.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 21, 2014

Our rooms are WHITE...white walls, white floors, white tiles, white blinds (that almost always stay closed because of the angle of the sun) on the one wall that's all windows. It's hard to make the room warm and inviting without an overwhelming amount of stuff on the walls. I've tried to add colorful furniture (I painted my bookshelves, made stools for my group table, etc.) and baskets, bulletin boards, etc...

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2014

Our rooms are white, and I like it. It's a blank pallette for the colors I want to bring in to it. My room accents (baskets, board backgrounds, etc.) are red/white/blue/black-patriotic theme. I recently moved my desks out for tables, and painted the top of them with whiteboard paint. The white tables with the white walls and pops of color make the room looks so much cleaner and larger than it looked with the brown desks and piles of clutter.

13. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

May 21, 2014

Are you sure you don't work in a hospital?

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

Many of the rooms in my building have three white walls and one blue accent wall. My room has cream-colored walls.

I'd love an all-purple room. :)

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 21, 2014

Our teachers get to choose our colors. Mine is a pretty yellow. Across the hall is teal, and the other two 4th grade rooms are lime green and blue/yellow (I don't love this room, but she loves it.)

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 21, 2014

Sometimes it feels like it! Although, I think it is better than the old wing of the building, which has dark cream walls and this awful gold-orange-brown flooring! When they took down a chalkboard in my old classroom, we could see through the decades by the paint colors on the wall...mint green, mauve, gold...

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 21, 2014

If the choice were mine, I would go for all the colors of the rainbow.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 21, 2014

Our rooms have a cloth-like fire retardant material on all the walls. It's cream colored, kinda old, but not dirty so it softens up the room.
    I use purple as my color, so most of the things I put up have a purple frame or a dominant color, the secondary color is lime green (just a little of it)
    My Powerpoints are purple background with white, or often lime green text - it's easy to see.

19. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 21, 2014

Our walls are white, but I really wish I had the option to paint. They are dingy and yellowed. I would love to go with almost any different earth tone, especially since I don't have windows.

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 21, 2014

My room is off-white and peeling terribly. A corporation is bringing in volunteers during the month of June to paint all our classrooms. I requested soft purple! :)

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 21, 2014

I went through three wall colors at my previous school. They walls were an off-white the first few years I was there (and filthy). Then I got permission to repaint them if I did it myself. I chose a buttery yellow what was just bright enough to be cheery without being distracting, and I loved it. A couple years later all the rooms were repainted and I lost my lovely yellow to something that looked like pastel puke. My room next year has a couple walls that are maroon and the others are off white. I'm already wondering what to do with the maroon as I'm not a fan of that color.