What is the Best Classroom Purchase You Have Made?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 22, 2010

$0.50 is cheap for clipboards. I just bought a class set of wooden ones for $1.24 a piece at Wal-Mart.

2. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

I found the clipboards at the end of August last year on clearance. School doesn't start until after Labour Day for us, so I was able to snatch them up before school began.

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 22, 2010

hmm... my best purchase used to be my overhead timer, but now I have a Promethean board (the best thing the school ever bought for me!) So now I guess my best purchase is my library boxes I used to sort my library by genre. Thank God for the Dollar Tree!

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2010

Another teacher on my team purchased an electric hole punch and allows us all to use it. If she were to leave, I would miss her... but I would purchase my own hole puncher to remember her by.:D

5. beckaloulou

beckaloulou Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Sams club has clipboards 3 for 88 cents

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

Probably the wood and paint to make corner bookshelves at a fraction of the cost of what they are at really good stuff. I LOVE them!

7. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

Best items:

A few of my favorite purchases have been my jumbo timer. It's a dial timer the kids can see and hear.
    I also love my rain gutter book shelf. It is very handy and a great use of space.

Oh, and I also love the $5 wire book rack I got at a garage sale!!!

Here are the pics
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?id=1399772657&aid=15200

8. nsmsam

nsmsam New Member

Aug 6, 2010

I have to vote for our document camera. The longer the time I spent with it, I found out more and more creative use of the product. I created time lapse to show caterpillars transform, projected objects in different angles, even take random pictures of classroom.

9. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

Did you tell them who the pocket person was when you first picked the name? Or announced it at the end IF they remained on green? I do "secret walker" and that helps my WHOLE line stay straight and quiet since it could be any one of them. Was thinking the pocket person could work the same way. When did you get that "pocket" tin and how much was it?

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

Really!? I didn't see any at my Wal-Mart. Would be nice to have a class set. Where else would I be able to purchase cheap ones?

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

I saw one at COSCO, actually it's two paper cutters in one. I was wondering if anyone has used this particular one. I have a rebate check that would be enough to cover cost plus tax on this purchase & I've been thinking of purchasing one. I currently have a plastic one that came with my Cricut. While it works, I constantly have to run something sharp along the ridge(for lack of better term) where the blade goes through because it tends to accumulate residual paper flakes. This in turn causes rips rather than clean cuts when attempting to cut paper. I also run into the problem of the button/handle falling off from time to time. I worry that one day I will lose this piece which will make the cutter useless. I like to have students use it & want something that would be more durable. I love having a cutter in the classroom; makes it so handy.

12. historynut

historynut Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

My laptop and projector. Those were life savers for a few years. Now I have an 'enhanced classroom' with all that stuff in it.

This year I'm looking forward to the $10 garment rack that I bought. I'm going to use it to hold my chart paper and some of my pocket charts.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 6, 2010

Target or Staples? I know Target will price match Wal-Mart if you have a current flyer with them in it. I would ask someone in Wal-Mart when they expect their next shipment in. If you tell them you want 25 put back for you, they will usually make sure they are ordered. And it's no cost for shipping to the store!

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

I purchased this cute hanger jewelry organizer that happens to have colors I love, plus my initial. I plan to hang it over the supply/storage closet so that I have immediate access to things like markers, pencils, glue sticks, clips, etc. Each zipper pocket(6 or so on each side) is clear so that you can see what's in them. I highly suspect I will love this for not only being cute to look at but also very functional.

15. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

My cd player that is an ipod player too.

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2010

17. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

Kids love our backjack floor chairs, especially for independent reading.