What is the Best Classroom Purchase You Have Made?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Jul 21, 2010

The best purchase I bought was a rotating book rack. It let me store all my chapter books in a small space and the kids could easily get the books and organize them themselves. They loved it.

2. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

Hmm.. I think the rugs for my reading/meeting areas or my shorter director's chair. They are both fabulous investments!

3. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 21, 2010

are we getting this money again this year? I heard it was gone.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

The two items I've had in all my rooms: a red basket that was given to me and about two yards of sheer black silky fabric with silver stars. Everything that is turned in to me- notes, forms, homework, ect.- goes in that red basket. I can ea
    sily say 'stick it in the red basket' and there is no excuse for it being lost. I can also grab it on my home if I want to grade there. The fabric goes over my door. I use to have one for each season, but I've downsized...

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

This was something inherited... But I have 30 muti-colored and very sturdy "portfolios." They stand upright and I line them up against the shelf on the wall and they're used as the mailboxes for each child. In the past I have admired how teachers use the "mailbox kits" from really good stuff or Staples, but they are SO pricey. I also dislike how high they are as they often would cover a window in my class (I love lots of light). Also, when I have viewed the mailbox sets from really good stuff, they often do not have enough mail slots for my class -- I have had up to 32 students in years past! :)

I also adore this tiny "pocket" from Hallmark. It's a pocket shaped tin.. which used to hold greeting cards. I use it daily as a "pocket person" incentive. I select one name from my whole class at the very start of each day and their name goes into the pocket. If they stay on green (behavior color) the WHOLE day, they get a very small prize (pencil, sticker, seasonal/holiday item, etc). My second graders LOVED this last year and would ALWAYS remind me toward the end of the day "Mrs W! Don't forget pocket person!!" :)

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

I love gadgets and gizmos. I saw this wireless mouse/keyboard at a conference and just had to have it!

7. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

where did you buy from??? I know I wont have a projector and would love to have one, as well as a document camera but I wouldnt know where to begin for the projector

8. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

I just purchased a tic-tac-toe pocket chart made by Carson-Dellosa. I am going to use it as a choice board for spelling assignments or any other subject that I want to give choices to the students. The thing that my students loved was Homeworkopoly. I made it myself two years ago. I now have one that I made to use on the Promethean Board. The best thing the district bought for my classroom was the Promethean Board and the ActiView (document camera).

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

I bought from Costco--ordered on a Monday and it was delivered to school before the end of the week. No bells-and-whistles, but it's quick and easy to set up and serves my purpose.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

How often do you count up their tallies? What is the reward? I do table tallies, but I like the idea of individual tallies. That way the kids can't get angry with others at their table, and they aren't all punished for one noisy, off-task kid.

I think my best purchase was The Daily 5. I know I'm always "yapping" about it on here, but I LOVE it! I remember thinking to myself last year (when I first started it), "This is the best thing I have ever done in my classroom."

I also can't imagine life without my Smartboard! :D

11. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

never would have though of looking there! thanks =)

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2010

My laptop!!! (oh, and laser printer, too!)

13. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Best purchase for classroom

My best purchase has been my paper cutter! I can't imagine not having it for the many times I need to cut large amounts of paper or when I've unexpectedly come up with a need for cut papers. I've had mine for so long that it's a full-sized paper cutter that I just don't see available in regular office supply stores anymore. These days I see 'half-sizes' or plastic boards, but none of them are the quality of the one I got way 'back in the day':p

I've even purchased them for close teacher friends who've borrowed mine over and over again, so they'd have their own. As a matter of fact, they were teasing me saying they've learned that if there's anything they want, just borrow it from me a few times and I'll go out and buy it for them!:lol: At least I know they'll make good use of a gift I give to them!

14. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

This was provided by my school, but I love my Fountas and Pinnell calculator for running records. It easily calculates accuracy and self correction rates as well as words per min.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

Mathtype (though I have it at home, not at school.)

It makes it so incredibly easy to type a test or quiz!!!!

They do have a 30 day free trial if anyone is interested. And teachers qualify for the cheaper "academic" price.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 22, 2010

Oh yes. It saves a lot of time! Each of our regular classroom teachers ended up with 3. The school purchased one for everyone 3 years ago, then we purchased the Fountas & Pinnell LLI kits last year with stimulus money. Two more came with each classroom kit.

17. Braydon's Mom

Braydon's Mom Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Where did you get that cute bell??? I have to have one!!

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

A class set of clipboards.

I bought them last summer for $0.50 each at Wal-mart. I bought 25 so there are 5 colours, 5 of each colour. It has been an absolute life saver! They are plastic, so a couple chipped this year, but they are still fully functional. The kids can now "work on the go" and I keep my assessment papers on multiple clip boards.

19. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

I saw the bells at Pier One. If you go to their website, they have them with pink sparkles or with green sparkles.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2010

I'm currently looking for cheap clipboards!