What is the Best Classroom Purchase You Have Made?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

I know we all do a lot of shopping for our classrooms and I'm just wondering what you think has been the best purchase you have made?

I was thinking about this on my morning walk yesterday and decided that for me it was my bell. I wrote all about it here. I love that thing.

[​IMG]

So what was yours? A book? A tool? A manipulative? What am I missing in my classroom that will rock my world?

3. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

A spray bottle from the dollar store.

We don't have air conditioning in our school, and my classroom gets incredibly warm during the beginning and end of the year. If I notice that the temperature is affecting the kiddos' attention, I'll just stop what I'm doing and walk around the room with the spray bottle to give them about 4-5 sprays in the face. They know to make an X in front of their face with their arms if they don't want it (thus cutting down on time lost by me having to ask each kid if they want a spray). I'll also give them sprays upon returning from gym class if I notice that they're really out of breath and/or sweaty.

They absolutely love it (and I'll admit...it's fun to do it, too)! It takes no more than 30 seconds to do and it cools them off without making a mess. After I make the rounds, we just jump back into what we were doing.

Oh, and this. Two years running and no problems yet (even with letting the kids use it). A hard price to swallow at first, but it's been worth every penny.

4. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

A classroom set of whiteboards!!! My kids will do just about anything I tell them when they get to use these babies! lol I use them for "Show Me", "Brainiac Basketball", spelling practice, partner work, guided reading groups, the possibilities are endless! I love, love, love, them!

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

I just spent 40 minutes on your website! I LOVE IT! I too, "heart organization". I will definitely be checking your site each week!:) Thanks for sharing!

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2010

An electric pencil sharpner.

7. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

I have that same bell! I got it at Pier 1 almost a full year before I actually started teaching because I loved it so much. My students loved it, too, even the boys!

My favorite thing last year was my set of multiplication facts monsters. They were just so cute, and we used them for lessons on symmetry and congruence, too. Whenever we played around the world, it gave me something to look at and help me decide which facts to choose. If left to my own devices, I'll accidentally ask 7x8 three times in the same game.
    [​IMG]

I just had the monsters, without all those extra pieces. I'm a little sad that they're going to be retired this year (my 4th graders needed them...I hope my 6th graders won't.), but maybe they'll come in handy at some point in the future.

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

My classroom library and the baskets it's organized in. When a pipe broke in my ceiling last winter break and damaged over half of my library, I was devastated. Luckily, the school district replaced every single book!

9. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

Don't retire them too soon. I work with lots of seventh graders who don't know their multiplication facts. Our elementary curriculum focuses on problem solving rather than learning facts. I'm teaching my daughters their math facts here at home.

10. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

Hmmmm... I have a few :). I teach self-contained and do have a classroom budget to buy materials/supplies from.

Here are some of my best purchases for this year:
    - The STAR Program (STAR stands for Strategies for Teaching Based on Autism Research): this curriculum and the information related to teacing approaches is potentially going to change three of my students entire day. I'm excited to implement this curriculum and strategies.
    - A book called "Teaching Conversation Skills to Children with Autism: Scripts and Scprit Fading". This one has allowed me to make some major changes to some of my communication tasks and I think its going to be helpful to almost all of my students.
    - A set of 50 "voice overs" - they are little devises that you can record messages on and then push a button to play the message. You can re-record on them when needed. They can easily be adaptd to be able to put a picture of an item on top and then the student would just pick up the picture, push the botton and it will talk for him/her (for those who are non-verbal). I'm excited about all the ways to use these in my room!
    - P.O.D.D. materials. P.O.D.D. stands for Pragmatic Organzation Dynamic Display and its a way to organize visual communication books that I'm really excited about. I'm planning to set these books up for 4 of my students right off the top of the year and then perhaps more as the year goes on :).

As for classroom decorations and what not, I have to keep things relatively neat and organized as my students do not do well with the over stimulation of too much on the walls. I'm planning to buy velcro strips and lots of material so that I can cover my shelves from view in a way that still allows the staff in the room to easily get to materials. I'm also thinking to use material rather than paper for the backs of my bulliten boards. My bulliten boards are simple - one is a staff information board (as I have 9 learning assitants in my room) and the other is a prayer board (students bring in intentions and we post them visually on our prayer board... I teach in a Catholic school) and then I have two large ones in the hallway where we celebrate student's accomplishments and work throughout the year.

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

Agreed, but I didn't purchase mine. I was lucky enough to inherit them my second year! :D

12. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I bought chair pockets from someone on ebay. I love those things. I began teaching Kindergarten, and they had nowhere to put their supplies, so I was stuck using bins. I hated it. I got disorganized by it. So the next year for 1st grade, I bought these chair pockets. They go over the backs of the chairs and have 2 pockets for small objects, and one large pocket for books and folders. It was a really good deal. We get teacher's choice money from the city, so I didn't end up spending my own money for it.

13. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 21, 2010

In terms of the kids, it has to be the bean bag chairs at the reading carpet; they're always in high demand.

Personally, my fridge - use it every day! :)

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

Great ideas! I do have enough white boards for small group work, but I do think I'll buy a class set now. I love the spray bottle idea. Keep 'em coming.

15. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

I love the bell. I bought a bell last year and thought it would help me get their attention when they got too loud. I'm definitely going to use your idea and make it a "reward" bell instead. Of course, I'll be adding some bling before school starts.:whistle:

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

The best classroom purchase I have made is a classroom set of calculators that I actually made yesterday. It was a costly investment for me but I am tired of some students programming everything into their calculator for a test. The best purchases my school has made for me are my tablet laptop and document camera.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

It was a big investment, but I haven't regretted buying my own projector last year. We only have 3 in the school, so you can't always get one when you want. Although I don't use mine everyday, I keep it set up on a cart in my office and know that I can grab it and get it up and running in a minute (I teach English in the classroom next to my office).

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

I almost bought a green version yesterday! I knew I should have picked it up.

Let's see... The best purchase I've made... This is a hard one since I've got several. I would have to say the best thing I've received from Highlights was the Time Tracker. I love the visual cue of the timer. The kids have really responded to it. I got my first one 5 years ago, and really saw a good reaction from my students. One of my students accidently broke it last year, and I was able to order another one with my Highlights points. Best free purchase!

19. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2010

Me too but this year, the use was limited. The class I had would waste too much time in fussing over them so I put a break on it. They would use it during rotation in small groups, when I had a small group in the class at lunch time & after school tutoring.

There's also so many things I'm sure but right now just one other one comes to mine & it's this chime. Couldn't upload the pic but it's the one with the little rod or whatever it's called.

Where did you find that bling, bling bell?! LOVE IT!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...rls=en&biw=800&bih=600&tbs=isch:1&um=1&itbs=1

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

Pier 1 has them, and right now they are on the clearance table at our store.

21. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 21, 2010

I'm on my way! :D