What is pre primer reading?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Unregistered, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sep 3, 2003

I am just wondering, I was talking to my friend that teaches 3rd grade and she said this year she has 2 students that are pre primer in reading, what does this mean?

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 3, 2003

levels

first grade level is exactly what it means
    primer and PRE primer indicates BELOW a first grade reading level.
    third graders reading in PRE primer is pretty seriously low and is difficult to meet the needs of those children if you dont create a separate program for them from the average program you plan.

4. prattmb1

prattmb1 Rookie

Sep 4, 2003

I'm in the same situation...only I teach 7th grade geography. Two of my students in my first class of the day are at the primer level (0.4 and 0.7 grade level). /All/ of my material stresses being able to read. I make heavy use of reading current events and primary sources. Some things I can modify, but for most, I'm just at a loss. I have plenty of substitute activities for low readers, but none for non-readers. Plus, since this is my class with 30 students, and most of them low readers, how can I even hope to give them instructions? Right now I have some midlevel readers helping them out, but I still feel like I should do more.
    Any suggestions?

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 4, 2003

7th grade and they're reading at .4 and .7? Why aren't they receiving special services? Clearly, that's a problem...

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 5, 2003

You can get textbooks on tape - free. Can someone remember where?

7. prattmb1

prattmb1 Rookie

Sep 5, 2003

They are. In reading. They go to the resource room for reading, but I teach geography, and because they need to be in the "least restrictive environment" they're in my class. All their other skills besides reading is fine, and they don't cause behavior issues (well, Andrew gets rowdy sometimes but he's a boy and that's to be expected). I just wish I had more help with them Academically!