What is going on in schools these days?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futuremathsprof, Nov 6, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Nov 6, 2018

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2018

Wow. Not sure about how Cali will go on this, but the teacher is the adult here and should have made a better choice. I hope he is given the choice and chooses to retire.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Nov 7, 2018

Nothing like this is going on in my California school...

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Nov 7, 2018

I saw this and the full video has made its rounds on social media. The little boy actually threw a ball at the teacher and was saying violent racial slurs at him. The boy was angry because the teacher told him that his uniform was inappropriate for school. Many of the students stated that the band teacher is a great band teacher and is down to earth. I guess that day he had his tipping point and I do not blame him. There is also a video of some students at the school jumping this teacher as he was trying to break up a fight. The school seems as if it has a problem with unruly and disruptive students that are riddled in gang activities. I am happy that teacher punched him out and taught him a valuable lesson. At the high school age, students should know not to disrupt the classroom and come into a teacher's face the way he did. He assaulted the teacher first with throwing a basketball at his chest. What if the student had a gun! We just aren't safe anymore. Many of the parents and supporters created a gofundme for his legal hearings

Mami1Maestra2 likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Nov 7, 2018

I’m on the fence with this one. I think the teacher definitely had a right to defend himself physically and no educator should have to put up with that level of disrespect. And I also feel that this student should be arrested for assaulting a teacher. However, in a eyes of the law, a teacher can only use *reasonable* force to incapacitate or defend against a student attacker. Now if the student had a gun, like in the situation you proposed, then all bets are off and the teacher can use anything at his or her disposal to survive.

The issue here is whether the teacher used reasonable force. Yes, the student “had it coming,” but will a judge and jury agree with that? I don’t know. I think this is far from over and that criminal charges will be brought forward on both sides.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  7. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Nov 7, 2018

I wouldn't have thrown my degrees and certifications down the drain for a student who in the next 3 to 5 years will be placed in a prison. I hated to say that but that is the reality. The video is the reason I do not want to teach High school education! More power to the teachers that are in that field. Even the smaller kids tend to be unhinged at times

8. Aces

Aces Comrade

Nov 7, 2018

I'm not sure where I stand on this one. On the one hand, if a student puts their hands on me, they will be on the ground. Point blank period I will make no bones about it. But at the same time, I would say that there were other courses of actions. So yeah....iunno.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 7, 2018

Thank you @futuremathsprof
    You may or may not know what I'm thanking you for, but thank you.
    You've indeed come a long way.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 8, 2018

I learned of this yesterday. I'd personally never do it if I was the teacher, but I see why many are supporting him and even raising money for him. He's done what I'm sure many other teachers wish they could do.

I hope the student was charged with assault...I haven't read the latest info since yesterday. I hope things turn out well for the teacher!

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Nov 9, 2018

:rolleyes:

12. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Nov 9, 2018

I think the teacher will lose their job. Where I work we are trained specifically on how to respond to a student who is behaving violently and none of this would be defendable - no matter what the student did or said. Bottom line where I work is that putting one's hands on a student would result in losing not only our jobs but our license.