What is "0 period" and is it mandatory?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SageScience, May 16, 2017.

1. SageScience

SageScience Rookie

May 16, 2017

Some schools have a 0 hour or 0 period (which meets from something like 7 AM - 7:45 AM). Is class held during this time? Is it mandatory for teachers to be there at this time?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

May 16, 2017

Schools that I know that have that schedule often use it as a voluntary period for teachers to earn some extra money running clubs , teaching electives, remedial courses, etc.

SageScience likes this.
  4. SageScience

SageScience Rookie

May 16, 2017

Ah ok. Are teachers paid extra for teaching period 0? Or are they allowed to go last period of the day?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 17, 2017

At a school I taught at previously, this was called "early bird" and was mandatory for certain students enrolled in special programs (music, magnet, etc.) so that they had enough periods in the day to take the special class and their regular course load. Teachers who taught early bird always had the last period of the day free because their contract hours were different, shifted up a bit, so like 7:00-1:30 instead of 7:30-2:00. Early bird teachers did not get paid more at my previous school.

SageScience likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

May 17, 2017

That was our early bird class at high school. We did. It get paid any additional money for teaching it, but we did leave earlier. The contract time was different.

At another school, that was RtI time. It was just a regular part of the school day. Everyone had a class then.

SageScience likes this.
  7. SageScience

SageScience Rookie

May 17, 2017

Thanks

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 17, 2017

When I went to HS, it was an optional period that generally housed a few of the classes that would otherwise not fit into the day, and also possibly allowing kids to double up with a similar class later in the day. For example, jazz band was held before school, as many of those kids also were in the regular band as well, held in the middle of the day. This made it so they could do both. We also had a 7th period that some took and some didn't, if I remember correctly, which basically just extended the number of credits you could fit in or classes you could fit in. I'm not sure about the teacher side of it, though I'm sure they each had a similar contract, just shifted in terms of time.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 17, 2017

At my school it is an additional class period. Teachers volunteer to teach it so kids can get extra courses in or leave early to work. Their workday shifts, with the expectation that they can leave early. Typically the schedule would be set so that the teacher's last period of day would be his planning period, so he could leave around lunch time. The classroom was shared with other teachers during the two off periods.

But in reality, teachers only left early once or twice a week. There were still mandatory meetings that started at the end of the day. There was lunch duty, hall duty and bus duty. And if someone called out sick, you were expected to cover both of the periods when you weren't teaching, even the one after your day officially ended.

As a result, we don't have any volunteers any more.