What (if any) Electronic Devices Does Your School Provide for You?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Mar 10, 2019.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2019

My school allows teachers to check out and use a laptop that they may also take home. Teachers may also check out and take home an ipad. We also may keep these devices over any breaks (including the summer). I'm curious to know if most schools do this.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 10, 2019

My school provides desktop computers for school use, laptop computers so teachers can take their work home with them if they need to, and iPads. We are also provided SMART Boards, projectors, overheads (very few teachers still use these), DVD players, Chromebooks (you have to request these as teachers generally prefer iPads), etc.

Once your electronic items are assigned to you, you can keep them indefinitely so long as you are still working at the school. To clarify, some of my colleagues have had their iPads for years and have never been asked about returning them.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2019

Our school board has provided all teachers with their choice of an iPad, Chromebook, or laptop. They will be upgraded every 3 years and they are ours to use as we wish as long as we are a Board employee.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 10, 2019

I've worked in 3 different schools and they've all provided a laptop. You can take it between school and home as you please. In my current district, if you want to keep it over the summer, you just sign up on a list. They replace our technology every couple of years so it's always one of the "latest and greatest" things. While I appreciate not having something that's old and doesn't work well, IMO it seems like they're spending some unnecessary money on there. For example, I had a new mac book gold that was replaced with the newest mac book pro after one year. The district tech person says this comes out of a "different pot of money" :confused:.

Teachers are also given an i pad, and we all have Apple TVs in our rooms. K-2 students all have their own i pads and 3-6 students all have their own chromebooks. It used to be i pads for everyone and the older students could take them home, with the idea being that they were used for reading or homework. I'll let you guess how that went. The chromebooks now stay at school.

6. futuremathsprof

Mar 10, 2019

I think your district is supplying the new computers with federal or state monies, which have to be spent otherwise they lose it. Some districts have that problem where they have a surplus of ponies toward the end of the year and will have a smaller budget in the next academic year if they have extra. This is why I think your district keeps replacing the older laptops. And I wouldn’t complain about getting the latest piece of technology! (My school updates its electronics in alternate years and as the need arises.) If I were you, I’d just transfer my files and software over and love the new piece of hardware and accompanied software.

Think of as someone paying for a car lease and you reaping the benefits every year by getting a new car and not having to pay for it! It’s a win-win situation for you.

7. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 10, 2019

At my current school I've got a smart board/projector and a semi decent desktop computer. Which I still being my personal laptop because I like to have my music and basically all of my lesson plans and things are saved on office 365 which is easier to pull up on my laptop than desktop. And I can move the laptop with me, whereas the desktop is well tethered.

At my new school I'll have the desktop in my office and then he has a laptop but I was told I can get a windows tablet pc which I would prefer.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 10, 2019

We all have a two desktops. One is a teacher workstation and one controls the smart board. We also have SmartBoards, audio enhancement systems, document camera, and projectors. There are iPads for team leaders, but they are really old. Those of us who are Google certified are supposed to get Chromebooks this year. I bought my own laptop and iPad for school. Well, actually they are my old ones from home. I upgraded at home.

DH’s school provides all teachers with a teacher workstation and Chromebook. His classroom has a Smartboard and projector. I think all of their classrooms do, but I’m not positive.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 10, 2019

We got rid of desktops long, long ago. Each teacher has a tablet laptop, as well as access to Chromebooks for student use. We have wireless projectors that can function like Smartboards.

10. futuremathsprof

Mar 10, 2019

I would hate to lose my iMac desktop with Retina display. I love it and use it for SO many activities.

11. futuremathsprof

Mar 10, 2019

We also have audio enhancement systems, but I only use them for YouTube videos and to play songs off of my iTunes playlist when the students do their independent or group work, lol!

12. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 10, 2019

I brought a Bluetooth speaker from home for that, heh. But I love my smart board. Use it everyda.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

Mar 10, 2019

Ditto. I use my SMART Board for everything!

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 10, 2019

I have a desktop, a laptop, and an old iPad.

I also have an Elmo, projector, and one laptop and three iPads for student use.

I miss having a smart board.

15. futuremathsprof

Mar 10, 2019

Why did they remove your SMART Board? Or was it from a previous school?

16. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 10, 2019

I will genuinely miss my smart board. I mean I don't think I'll actually need it next year because, well, I'm not going to be a classroom teacher. But man are they great to have! I use mine.....basically....everyday.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2019

When I was in public school, Teachers were offered the use of a laptop. I used my own because it was just easier. We also had smartboards. When I moved to private school we had no technology. Last year they supplied every classroom (Except the ESE room) with a smartboard.

18. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Mar 11, 2019

We get a laptop (basic, almost bottom of the line Dell) and a smartboard. There is 1 iPad per grade level (2 teachers share it typically). I also have 2 of my own iPads that I use in the classroom. My computer is finishing year 4 and they are looking to start replacing them next year on a rotating basis with 1/3 of the staff getting new computers each year.

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2019

We get an iPad and MacBook. We do not have to return them in the summer. Some teachers still have desktops, though most have requested that they be removed from their room.

20. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Mar 11, 2019

In my classroom I have a desktop (with two monitors), ten student computers, 35 classroom chromebooks, ten ipods, a smart board, a document camera. Those items must always stay in my classroom unless removed by the IT department.
    Checked out to me personally I have an iPad, a chromebook, and a MacBook. These are essentially mine to do what I wish with for as long as I maintain my position at my current school. If I damage them I am responsible to pay for them and I cannot do anything on those I can't do on my school computer at the building. Teachers have been dismissed for doing and/or looking at questionable things on their off the clock hours, at home, on a district owned device.

21. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Mar 12, 2019

My school provides a laptop (Surface), and I share a laptop with the teacher who shares my room with me. We asked for, and received, a used electronic projector (ELMO) that was no longer being used by another teacher. Other than that, my side of the room has to technology, and my whiteboard is just special whiteboard paper covering a chalkboard. Every time I use my whiteboard, it erases terribly no matter what I do. The previous teacher even left me chalk, because I guess she assumed I would have a chalkboard this year.