What does reading/math instruction look like in your class?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texasteacher33, Oct 2, 2015.

1. texasteacher33

texasteacher33 Rookie

Oct 2, 2015

What are the most important things about your reading and math instruction? :)

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 2, 2015

Having a strong curriculum to pull from, and the freedom to stray from it when necessary.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 3, 2015

Differentiating to meet the diverse needs of all learners... teaching in small groups, using a variety of methods of instruction, and allowing students to show their learning in different ways.

5. janis

janis Companion

Oct 6, 2015

For math: start with mental math, review recent "weaknesses", new lesson, a few challenging problem with new lesson, practice, independent work on iPad or from book.

For reading: group skill, practice, reading centers (which involves me reading with leveled groups)

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 7, 2015

Reading - model comprehension strategies with higher level books through think-alouds and teacger reading books/kids trying the strategy with prompting. Follow that with lower level big books to teach decoding strategies. Students are reading on level text and discussing books in reading workshop every day. Then, I am pulling small groups for guided reading every day, usually I see everyone 3 times a week and my lowest group or 2 get pulled every day for letter/sight word remediation.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 10, 2015

Small group work that reflects my belief that both math and reading skills are developmental. Students must be able to work at the level they are at. Hand's on practice in both areas is crucial.