What does a typical first day in kindergarten look like?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mom2sands, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I've only seen a first day in third grade, so I'm wondering what to expect from 4 & 5 year olds on the first day. I'm sure there will be a crier and probably a really shy one. If someone could give a rundown of what one might expect on that first day, it might give me a picture to anticipate. Thanks!

3. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

CHAOS! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

4. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I hate to say it, but I agree! The first few days are stressful. I find it difficult because less than 3 months ago I had a room full of kids that could read, do a little adding/subtraction, could write sentences etc... Now 3 months later I have kids that can't even find their name. All day long you will answer the same 3 questions - "When is lunch?" "When is playtime?" and "When are we going home?" Thats all the kids really care about the first day. You will repeat everything over and over again. Everything is so new to the kids that even though you explain what you are going to do they really aren't listening. I try to keep my activities very simple the first few days. Luckily it does get better.

5. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 29, 2008

4 and 5 yr olds?! I have never seen any child as young as 4 starting kindergarten. I have only seen 5 and 6 yr olds. 4 yr olds should be in preschool in my opinion. In my area students can not start kindergarten unless they are at least 5.

6. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Well, some of our Kinders are 4 when they start in August, but they must turn 5 by October 10. Next school year they must be 5 by some date in August.

7. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

Having taught Kindergarten for what will be my 4th year this fall, it's not that bad. yes there is crying, yes there is a lot of upset children, BUT....onc they get into a routine, it gets pretty easy.. Feel free to PM me and I can answer any questions you may have.

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2008

The first day is crazy! Last year (my first year in kinder), I had many criers, 1 girl who was so scared that she puked strawberry milk all over, and many kids who would not let go of their parents! We let the parents walk the kids into the room the first day, show them where to put their coats/backpacks, and I had a nametag at each seat with a little play-dough...the parents helped the kids find their names (or I did if there was no parent there), and they played while things got settled. I didn't eat lunch the first day because I was busy figuring out who was on what bus and making name-tags for the kids to wear home and doing errand-y things like that. We read "The Kissing Hand" and made handprints, we practiced writing out name and drew a picture of ourselves (which I kept and had them do the same thing at the end of the year to see how it changed). Much of the day was spent on procedures...how to walk in line, how to get our lunch, where to put our papers, how to sit on the carpet, etc., etc. It is slow going at the beginning, but once a routine is established, you'll be fine!! And BTW, we have 4 & 5 year olds...our kids have to be 5 by December 31st...and we heard this year that the super. is letting a child who will not be 5 until February in...they are getting younger and younger!! Good luck!

9. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

We also take children that are 4 years, 7 months, which typically puts their 5th birthday in February, so I will have some 4 year olds as well this year...and to top it off, it's my biggest class ever..25 kids..

10. MissPachucki

MissPachucki Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

First day in K

I teach a transition program (which means smaller half-day classes until January and then the classes combine and we move to full day) so I only have 10 on the first day of school in each a.m. and p.m.
    The day before the first day of school we have "Kindergarten Visitation Day" where the parents ride the bus with their kids and come in for 20 minutes to get to know the bus route, drop off their supplies and meet their teacher. So I rarely have criers on the first day because they've already met me and know where their room is!
    We unpack together the first day (week actually) so they can learn the routines, I explain lunch count, we do calendar, the alphabet chant, a read aloud, I have them draw a picture of themselves on the first day of school; we have snack, go on the playground and discuss the rules! If time permits, we also do a tour of the classroom and practice a fire drill (because we usually have one within the first few days of school). I leave an extra few minutes to get them into their bus lines and make sure they get home on the right bus #.
    Hope this helps! I love summer vacation, but writing this is making me excited about the first day of school again! :)

11. Audrey41

Audrey41 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Wow, I'm jealous! Our children have to be 4 by December which means we have many children beginning kindergarten at 3 years! (I'm in Ontario, Canada)

I agree that the first day will be chaos and I find the most challenging time is the first part of the day. Once the children have put their coats & backpacks away, I usually have bins of books and stuffed animals on the carpet. They choose a stuffed 'buddy' and 'read' books to them. I think it's comforting for the children & allows me time to focus on the children who are having difficulty settling.

12. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

Ok...kidding aside you will be very tired at the end of the day. Plan to wear comfortable clothes and shoes. I usually make sure that I have my favorite beverage chilling in the fridge when I get home. :D
    Some groups come in ready to go and some have the deer in the head light look and cry! One year I had a crier who cried until the 91st day of school!:eek: She had never been away from mom at all. She is now in the 8th grade and is still so stressed about leaving mom she throws up now. Thankfully, mom and daughter are seeing a counselor.
    Anyhoo, Plan to do a lot of talking and repeating! I usually start off with a song or nursery rhyme that they would know. Then I introduce myself and read a book about me. Then we do "Who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?" and another ice-breaker game. By then it is time to go on our school tour. We walk to the cafeteria and see the office. When we get back we read a story and do bathrooms. Then it is time for lunch. This is usually my shortest lunch of the year-15 mins! After lunch, we come back for nap. Next, we do a first day paper and craft. Then we have PE. Next, drinks and inside play and outside play. Then dismissal and home! That is all for the first day!
    I find it helpful if I sip some water throughout the day. Just be very patient and model, model, and model!

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

We have fours in K at my school too. I had 5's in my first grade class that didn't turn 6 until January-- I also had kids who were 7- I hate the HUGE age gaps. Sorry off topic lol

14. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks ladies!

Your ideas are so helpful. I thought of a getting to know the name thing with a mirror--passing around the mirror and having the students to look in the mirror and say, "Mirror, mirror, who do I see, I see (insert name) looking back at me!" Is this too corny? I thought it would help me and the students to get to know names. I also like the game "Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?" for name recognition too. I guess I can do both.

I believe, throughout Virginia, that children have to turn 5 by September 30th.

I am getting excited. The school has a large majority underprivileged rural population. I feel that I will get the most satisfaction in a school like this.

Also, I found a great site: http://www.kinderkorner.com

15. kindertwins

kindertwins Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Our kinders have to be 5 before Sept. 1. What I have found over the past 8 yrs. of teaching K is to not only expect some of the students to be cyring but to also expect some of the parents, especially moms, to be crying too. For some this is their 1st child going to school, baby, or only child. Some parents also want to take a picture with you and thier child. We work for the 1st week on learning the rules. We role play a lot!!!!! For the 1st 2 weeks of school my assistant and I are intro. 2 centers a day to the students to ensure they know the proper behavior and clean up of the centers. I have made it through 8 1st days, you will make it too! Best of luck!!!!

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 29, 2008

With ice breaker games, do you encounter many children who are too shy to participate?

17. MissPachucki

MissPachucki Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

"Mirror, mirror, who do I see, I see (insert name) looking back at me!" Is this too corny?

Nothing is too corny for Kindergarteners! They are so little and all of these experiences are so new, that they will learn from everything you do. And there will be some that are too shy to participate. I try not to force them - they will come around!

18. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 30, 2008

After teaching kindergarten for several years... my goals were to:

- get everyone to lunch
    - get everone home safely

Really.

The rest is just icing on the cake.

Kelly :)

19. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 30, 2008

I am sry I stand corrected about the age of kindergarteners! My Godbrother is going to be 6 yrs old on Aug.13th. He is going into the 1st grade this yr! *tear* Anyway he started kindergaten a few days short this past yr of being 5yrs due to his bday. They let him in anyway. For the teacher that said 3yrs go to K in your area of Canada. That means they will be 4 or 5 by 1st grade and I can not see a 4 or 5 yr old learning to read! Can you? And if I did the math right they will be 16 yrs old leaving 12th grade?! (Please correct me if that is not right!)

20. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I am assuming that in Canada what we (USA) consider PreK is what they call kindergarten. I have never heard of a 3 year old in regular kindergarten in the United States. As far as having a 4 -5 year olds learning to read - Yes! Most kindergarten programs in the United states now teach 5 year olds to read.

21. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

:rofl: :toofunny:
    I have to agree! You might have a crier or two (students and parents), you might have a shy one, you also might have a runner!! It is true-you can slide faster in socks than you can shoes when you are chasing someone!! :)
    Just be ready for anything!!! Remember the kids don't know how to do much including how to line up, open milk cartons, how to use the big bathrooms, etc. Don't forget about the directions/rules for the playground (like you can't go home during this time! Yes it has happened at my school before since a lot of the kids live so close!)Make sure you give specific directions over and over, so you can mold them the way you want them!!! :p
    It is a very exhausting day, but so rewarding!! And the best part is the hugs they give you!!!:wub: