What does a leadership team meeting look like at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Dec 27, 2014.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Dec 27, 2014

This year is the first year we have a leadership team at my inner city elementary school. We teachers that signed up for it were excited that we would have some input into solving some of the problems that plague our school.

However, the team meetings have turned into little more than mini professional development sessions, in which a tight agenda is presented to us about issues that are not as significant as the ones we wish to tackle. Little time is given to our concerns and ideas.

I'm wondering what leadership team meetings look like at your school.
    We would like to approach our principal with some ideas about how to revamp our meetings. Any input you have would be appreciated. Thank you!

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Dec 27, 2014

Our grade level leadership meetings have always been run by the admin.

I served on it for one year, we spent an hour debating the issue of should teachers have reserved parking spaces...never served again.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2014

Our leadership team meetings are very unproductive and focus on very minor issues. I'm fairly convinced that they exist only so that the folks higher up can say that they've implemented school leadership teams and not because they actually want the team to solve anything.

5. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Dec 27, 2014

We discuss data, strategies, and have mini PD to present to the grade level teams. We also generate ideas for PBIS, come up with solutions for problems, and come up with policy and procedural changes. We meet once a mouth during the school year, and once during summer break.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 27, 2014

We only have a principal teacher liaison committee. It's awesome, however. I serve on it. The teachers email us concerns and we discuss them at the meeting. Our P also brings up things like testing scheduling.

7. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Dec 27, 2014

When I was on my school's team, we had little-to-no input on the agenda. They were a lot like staff meetings where we heard about changes in advance. Then our principal would say we had input in changes when he presented them to the full staff, but in reality we had none. We approved field trips and proposed dates for school wide events, but otherwise it was a complete waste of time.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2014

I've only been to the school leadership team meeting once. It wasn't like PD. We were setting the goals for the school for the year. It was made up of teachers, admin and parents. They invited any teachers who wanted to go to that meeting. Other teachers join for the year and get paid for it. I do a lot at my school but I don't join that committee. The meetings are long and run late and I do enough after school as it is that that's where I have to draw the line.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 27, 2014

Our meetings are biweekly after school. They are open to everyone, but realistically, the same 10 people pretty much always show up. We spend an annoying amount of time talking about data and not really solving anything. Last week I emailed admin and asked politely if I could have some of the agenda time for 2 ideas I had, they were very open! I honestly think LT is not taken seriously and mostly another thing for Admin to check off/deal with....you might get a warm welcome if you just ask for some time. Less work for them.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 28, 2014

This is what I've experienced as well, although my current admin does a much better job of hiding it than my previous admin. At my last school, the P would literally have all the decisions made and then present them to the leadership team. When anyone would even ask a question, she would say, "I'm the principal! Of course I get to decide!" and that was the end of it. She held the meetings for the sole purpose of being able to say, "The leadership team decided…" in meetings with the whole staff.

At my current school, our admin comes up with the agenda. We definitely have "real" discussions, but I absolutely feel like the admin has decided what they want beforehand and they work really hard to steer us all in that direction so it looks like a team decision. We might be able to impact very small things, but the major things are definitely already decided. I usually don't consider it to be a good use of my time, but part of our evaluation is being involved in committees, and I was asked to be on this one. I also think it would look good on a resume if I were to look for another school in the future.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 28, 2014

We have a Leadership Team meeting once a month or so. They are usually 30 -45 min. We discuss things like learning barriers for specific kids, issues a grade level is having, PBiS, etc. This last meeting was about rewriting the School Mission Statement. There's a rep for each grade level, sped, and specials. The meetings are friendly and everyone is receptive.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 28, 2014

Our teams really dive into the issues with curriculum, working with the instructional supervisors to make adjustments and create guidance on how we can work with the material we have. My principal is very serious about not only listening to us, but serving the teachers she supports / supervises.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 28, 2014

We don't have anything like that. I wish we did.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2014

This. Since the district says leadership team meetings must occur twice a month, Admin has them but they act like they have better things to do/other places to be. Last year, our P would sometimes pop-in to say she couldn't attend. There are usually about 5 to 6 teachers in attendance.

Admin sets the agenda, tells us what is coming up, what decisions they have made, AND THEN they ask for comments, suggestions and ideas from teachers. They want feedback - not input.

Admin usually goes ahead with what they have already decided and put in place, but they love to tell the rest of the staff that the leadership team, aka their colleagues, have made the decisions ...

Yep.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2014

We mostly get updates from admin about district stuff to pass on to our departments and discuss how we're doing on implementing the school improvement plan.