what do you use for faster transitions

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by patti2, Aug 3, 2007.

1. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 3, 2007

last year I had so many dawdlers! No amount of punishments, prodding, modeling, rewarding, etc could cause these kids to MOVE from one thing to another very quickly. What do you all do in this situation?

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

What worked for me was cooperative groups and team points. They new I was looking for the teams to be ready with books out and on the right page. Other students helped others find the page just to be ready and get the points. At the end of the week I gave prizes for points earned. This was second grade and it really worked. When I first started I used one of those minute sand timers and they were trying to beat that.

4. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Idid something similar by giving points to the groups ready first. Their reward was to be the first table called to get in line for lunch or special. I never needed to give out prizes:D

5. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 3, 2007

I use the same thing. I give group tickets and the group with the most points at the end of the week get to choose from my Reward List. This list includes: No homework pass, Game Time, Use colored paper, File Folder Games. I'm trying to think of a few other things to add to my list - was considering lunch with teacher but they LOVE that and I don't know if I want to committ to that yet...but my rewards are things that I don't have to buy...

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

From the beginning of the year, I teach my kids how to transition from one area to another.

Start counting to ten (I do it in Spanish). By 8 all students need to be cleaned up. At 9, they need to be transitioning to the next area or on bottoms in desks and at 10 all students need to be on bottoms (wherever you've designated), mouths closed, hands still, eyes on you.

I would recommend having the same area they need to gather on 10- whether it's their seats (works well for 2nd) or a rug.

It works and it gets the dawdlers moving- peer pressure and the whole count down works wonders.

Give it a try.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 6, 2007

This is exactly what I do, except I count down instead of up! If I count up, I am always tempted to keep going. At least if I count down, then when I reach "zero" there is no where else to go! The children understand that zero = nothing left.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2007

We had the same issue except it was just getting through a lesson that always proved to take forever. It was bad enough to have specials ask us if they do that in our classroom. There were things we could do to help it, but they really were just a slower paced class.