What do you think about this?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Dare2Teach, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Dare2Teach

Dare2Teach Rookie

Dec 10, 2018

Hi, everyone. This is Dare2Teach. I hope everyone has been having a wonderful school year, so far.

I am creating this thread because I would like your advice on something.

For those of you that may not know, I volunteer at a facility on Tuesday nights where I and some other volunteers look after some children while their parents participate in sessions about budgeting.

We also have some volunteers that work with the parents, and back in August, one of the parent volunteers came up to me during dinner (we have dinner before the sessions begin) and told me that she works for a local technical college in the Adult Education Department. She is actually the director for the department, if memory serves me right.

She told me that her department was looking for a part-time Adult Education Instructor for GED Courses, and asked me if I was interested. I was unemployed at the time this happened, which is why she asked. (I have recently taken a part-time job, since.)

I was hesitant, at first, because I wasn't sure if I was knowledgable enough to teach the content in the course. I told her that I would think about it, and she was okay with that. I sent her an email a few days later telling her my concern about the content, and asked if she could give me a practice workbook or something so I could see what the content was like. Unfortunately, she never responded to my email, and I haven't seen her volunteering at the facility since she told me about the position.

Now that I have explained what happened, what do you think about all of this? Was her coming up to me and telling me about a position at her facility a good thing? Was I doing anything wrong during this process of reaching out to her? And finally, what should I do if I ever get into a situation like this again?

Thank you all in advance for your advice, and Happy Holidays!

- Dare2Teach

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 10, 2018

Do your own research. You can easily find out what the content would be.
    This person might have asked several people and had gotten a quick response elsewhere so maybe that's why she didn't follow up with you. Sounds like you're reading too much into this and it shouldn't be causing you too much anxiety (unless I'm just reading this wrong).