What do you mean?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by txmomteacher2, Apr 21, 2009.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2009

Subbing will soon be over for the year so I was looking for a summer job. So I applied to this temp agency that had a summer camp secretary position. All the add said was be able to talk to campers and their parents ages 6-13. Able to answer the phone, some computer skills, be energetic, all the typical add stuff oh and be able to work some weekends. They pay was ok but it was close to home. So I fill out the app and did some sort of computer skills test on the internet. Today the temp agency called and said I didn't have enough skills to do this job. I was floored. I have a freaking masters degree in teaching. I talk to to parents everyday, even as a sub I still talk to some parents. I have two kids that are the ages of 6-13. I can email, I can put pictures on the web. I can answer the phone and I can write a check. All my little computer skills test I did very well on except the typing one. Ok so I can't type fast but I can get it done. I was pretty ticked off when I got the phone call in fact thinking about it makes my BP go up. How can I be underqualified for this position. It can take a rocket scientist to do this job. I hope I am not offending anyone who is or has been a secretary. I just know that I can do this job, even with my lack of so called skills.

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2009

Well, I've been a secretary, but I got turned down for a job at Wal-Mart once.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2009

This is totally and utterly ridiculous!

What's sad is that you more than likely have far more skills, intelligence, and education that the people running the temp agency, but for some reason, they're qualified to decide that someone that has a master's degree isn't qualified for a secretarial position.

This has seriously rubbed me the wrong way. Ugh.

5. txmomteacher2

Apr 21, 2009

Don't worry it rubbed me the wrong way too. Then the temp agency had the gall to ask me if I still wanted to work for them after they told me I had no skills. WTH I can't answer the phone, or talk to parents or do any of the things like work with people but you still want me to work with you. hahahahahahahhahhahahaahahahahahahahh I would have been alot less upset if they had said that you were over qualified or we found someone with more expereince at being a secretary but to tell me that I have dont have enough skills is a whole nother story. Oh I guess I should have mentioned that for most of my married life I have been the unofficial secretary to my husbands business that we own. Plus I have been the social secretary to 4 kids for the last 18 years. OMG NOT QUALIFIED!!!!! Ok calm down BP is up again!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2009

txmom, that stinks!! I can't believe they would say you don't have the skills needed. That is BS!

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 21, 2009

Maybe they had some very specific requirement like "MUST be able to type at least 45 words per minute" or something along those lines and that's why. I can't see at all how you're not qualified, so that's the only thing that comes to mind. So instead of having you, a person totally suitable for the job, they'll go with someone else who won't interact as well with parents, but can type faster.

8. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Apr 21, 2009

Just some food for thought -----Who says secretaries aren't as educated? And now a days you have to have at least a Bach. degree to get a descent admin job. Just because the temp. office personnel don't have a Masters in Ed whose to say they don't have a Master's in Business??? And who says that admin. assistants don't have skills to work with kids and parents? Most places I've worked at half the workers act worse than kids, and are much meaner and nastier than any parent I ever ran across when teaching.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but just wanted to point that just because they have a different degree doesn't make them less educated.

And having been both a teacher and a secretary....I've been on both sides. From what you posted I would say it was the computer test that got you.....some places ONLY look at those scores...just like many districts only look at those sacred state test scores...

You could always call and ask them i (after your BP goes down!)

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 21, 2009

That is really irritating, isn't it? Makes one wonder who they hired.

10. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

It really is interesting. I know for my program the competition to get into teacher college was fierce. And now that I'm not teaching I feel like I'm stuck in a dead end job...

11. txmomteacher2

Apr 22, 2009

I just want to say I am not knocking secretaries and what they do. I am sure that some of them have just as much education as I do or more true experience. I know the secretaries at the schoools are amazing at what they do. The thing was the lady at the temp office kind of gave the imression that I was the leading candidate. I had great scores on everything except the typing. I guess it was just how she worded the conversation. I don't have enough skills. What she should have said was I don't have the right skills, or someone else has more experience at this kind of thing. It would have made a little less maddening.

12. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Apr 22, 2009

I agree. That is irritating and vague. It's too bad they didn't bother to tell you what skill set was the problem. If it was just the typing that can be improved, probably very quickly considering how much typing we do.