What do you like about your town?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by littlepearl, Aug 3, 2017.

1. littlepearl

littlepearl Rookie

Aug 3, 2017

We are thinking of moving .. we like a safer neighborhood and better schools for our daughter and to work in. Specifically, we are interested in the Carolinas and Virginia but are flexible.

Where do you live and what do you like about your town? Why did you move there? Do you teach in the same district as your town? And, what are the districts like?

I have some other questions I'll post in the other forums. :)

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2017

I live in a small town in NJ with 16 times more dead people than living. In a zombie apocalypse, don't come looking for me, I have no shot .

I have always traveled about 30 mins for any job and would never step foot in a school in my town. I was miserable enough when I went to them. They are the reason I went into education and I don't mean that as a compliment. I recently heard pay in Northern Virginia is comparable to what I make in NJ. I have a friend who just moved down there.

4. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2017

I live in Washington Terrace, Utah. It's its own little town, though smack-dab close to the bigger city of Ogden, which I also considered my hometown. I grew up here and I love it. Ogden's considered the "bad city" of Utah (though a certain other city is stealing that reputation), and it has some great cultural stuff going on for it that's getting better all the time. The Terrace as it is affectionately known is considered "ghetto", but lately has become the place of young and growing families looking for simplicity without any fancy suburban pressure. We moved there because it's where we found a house we liked.

I teach at a charter school, though the boundaries of the charter school are NOT my local district, but rather in the territory of one school district that's right in the middle of another school district. The outlying school district that I technically live in is the good school district, the one in the middle is one of the more hated school districts in the state and boy could I tell you some local government issues and complaints...

5. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 3, 2017

I live in South Carolina. I do like the school that I am at and the area.

I grew up a few states away, and moved south right after I graduated college because there were no jobs to be had for a recent college graduate where I lived. After moving to South Carolina I spent a few years exploring the state and moved somewhere that I felt better fit me after a few years.

I do teach in the same town I live. I am fortunate to be in a wonderful area. It is near a city, but still has a small town feel. Many of the families around here I feel have similar values to me and value community. There is a lot of growth in the area, and while there are bumps in the road created by that growth it also has the feel that we are building something.

Best of luck in finding something that fits what you are looking for. I know you mentioned the Carolinas, so if you have any questions about South Carolina feel free to pm me.

6. Henry Nakskov

Henry Nakskov New Member

Aug 5, 2017

I have been living in Nakskov, in the south of Denmark, for almost 3 years now. It's a smallish town (ca. 10,000 people), and I love the overall friendliness of the place, not to mention how instead of expensive fancy shops there are tons of old thrift stores and really cool (and cheap!) bodegas. It has a very rustic feel to it, and I love that. But the amazing nature here still beats all that, hands down. From my balcony (I am so regal) I can look out over the fields and spot deer jump about, and last night a weird noise in the backyard turned out to be the most adorable porcupine sniffing about in my bushes!
    I do miss a good cinema, though.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2017

I'm in eastern Kentucky. I really love that my small town is rural, but I can be in several major cities between 45 minutes to two hours. I live in the same town where I work. We have one district and four schools (K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12) It is a high poverty area with few career jobs, so most people have to commute. Sometimes it gets old having to drive 20 miles just to get to a Walmart. It's not for everybody, but I can't imagine being anywhere else.

DH works in an adjoining community. His school is about the same size as mine, but the district has five middle schools alone. That county also has one independent district and at least two private schools, plus two universities. The schools are not as high poverty, and most are not as rural. More industry and jobs available. He drives about 30 minutes to work. He lived in that community until we got married last year. He is originally from a very small town, so it doesn't bother him at all to live here now.

Backroads likes this.
  8. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 5, 2017

I'm in NJ, and I like it fine, but the cost of living is fairly high and property taxes are out of sight. Since you must live in the state to teach here, they have you over a barrel. My son is in Woodbridge, VA, and loves it. It is crowded in comparison to where I live, but I love the proximity to DC, and the diversity. Since my son and I both have ESL degrees, it is the kind of place I could imagine being happy. I don't see it in my future, but the son is very happy there. Salaries are comparable in some degrees, but I make more in NJ than I would in VA.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2017

I live in Southern California about an hour from L.A. I've lived here for a long time now (only lived 1 other place in my life & that was L.A.). This city is beautiful, there's very little crime, the traffic isn't bad (yet), it's very centrally located (an hour from the beaches, about 30 min from the snow/mtns, etc.), they've been constructing for as long as I've been here, so many buildings/establishments are new. It's populated enough in which it's not hectic everywhere you go yet, yet not so underpopulated that everyone knows everyone.

The only cons are that there's not much to do out here, so you kind of have to drive to L.A. for the museums, other areas of interest, etc. and it gets quite hot in the summer.

10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 12, 2017

Ok so I live in NYC in the actual city (Manhattan) and my neighborhood (it's not really a town) is one of the best in the city for several reasons.

I moved here to be closer to work as I lived in an outer bourough, and now I switched schools to one that's even closer, so my job is in the next neighborhood over. I have just about everything I could want within walking distance or a quick subway ride downtown. It's one of the safest neighborhoods and despite my neighborhood's reputation for being considered rich or old money NYC it's actually one of the cheapest places to live in NYC below 96th street (for anyone that knows that's the standard rule for what's considered "safe" and city like manhattan when looking for apartments). If I had children, which I don't and probably won't, I live in the best district in the city and my children would be zoned for one of the top elementary schools. I also live a block away from the river with a river walk path and a dog park to take my pup.

I'm a total city person at heart, I grew up in a different neighborhood in Manhattan and have always loved the city vibe. I hated when my parents moved us to Queens which was more suburb like when I was 11. I grew up in the burbs basically and was miserable. I fought to get back to the city. If I wanted to have kids (still on the fence) I would want to raise them as city kids. And to me no city compares to NYC. The only other city I'd even consider moving to would be San Diego because I'm a beach person at heart and did fall in love with the weather and laid-back beach vibe of the city.

Backroads and AlwaysAttend like this.
  11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 12, 2017

I live in a suburb of Denver, about 20 minutes from downtown. I think it's the perfect location because my neighborhood is very quiet/safe, while being just 20 minutes from downtown I'm close to "fun" stuff too. My neighborhood is also fairly built up, so anything I need is just about a 5-10 minute drive, and there are tons of restaurant options around here too, even several within walking distance. I also live across the street from a light rail station, so I can get downtown very cheaply without worrying about driving/dealing with parking.

I don't live in the neighborhood where I teach, which I personally prefer. I remember my CT from student teaching would go grocery shopping at 6 AM on Sundays to avoid having parent teacher conferences in aisle 3 at the store. I like having some separation between my work life and home life. With traffic, my commute is about 20-25 minutes, so that's not too bad either.

I first moved to this state because when I graduated, the job market in my home state was extremely saturated. It was kind of just expected that you spent several years subbing or working as a para prior to moving into a teaching position. I would HATE everything about subbing, so it was worth it to me to move and get a full time job right away.

My first job was way up in the mountains and although it was a lovely school/job, I absolutely hated living there. I grew up in very "deep suburbia," so I thought I'd be fine. I didn't realize how much little things like not having stores nearby would bother me. We used to make a day trip out of going to Target, which was 45-60 minutes away in good weather (and "good weather" is almost never in the mountains). I am so, so appreciative of living near the city now that I've had that experience. I don't take anything for granted anymore!

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2017

I'm in the piedmont area of North Carolina. (Central) I hate it here. Been here 30 years. I don't feel safe in most of the city. The area is going downhill all the time. There are good schools here and there, but for the most part, no. Don't mistake we made when my ex was transferred here. Just telling it like it is! (I live and teach here.)

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2017

I live in northern NJ. I teach in a town about 15 minutes away. My area is the NYC suburbs so we can get to the city quickly and then back home easily to a town that has a small downtown, parks, a farm market. I can get to the shore in about an hour. The cost of living is high but also teach in one of the highest paying districts in the state.

The teaching market is tough...and our pension and healthcare are requiring higher employee contributions yearly.

14. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Aug 19, 2017

We've got the only US replica of Shakespeare's Blackfriars Theater which hosts plays constantly, and less than an hour away there's talk about putting up a Globe replica from the same company. Blessing for a future English teacher. (And also just pretty cool.)

15. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Rookie

Aug 20, 2017

MetalTeacher, you're not that far from me! Love that town. Take my kids to that theatre for fieldtrips all the time. I live in VA, about an hour north from the NC border. I live in a relatively small town, but teach in another district. Our area has a lot of different districts, so there are lot of choices in terms of types of schools, etc. I really like the town I live in--very safe, small, lots of antique stores and the stuff you need day-to-day-grocery stores, pharmacy, few good restaurants. We also have a great community theatre. We're about 20 minutes from a Walmart and all that other stuff. I drive 30 minutes to work, and don't mind at all. Our area has beaches about 45 minutes away, mountains about an hour away, D.C. is about two hours. We have top-notch museums, theatre, dance, opera, major concert tours come through all year long. I think it's great. The pay is average--not horrible, not great. My district is good with raises and benefits, though some in the area are not. I'm glad we live here.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Aug 21, 2017

My town is one of many small towns in my county so even if I can't find something to do in MY town, other activities are only minutes away. My particular town has a lot of historic places of interest, parks, friendly independent shops, and a relatively safe atmosphere. I wish there were more sidewalks that lead to the center of town although they said they were working on that for the future.

17. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Aug 21, 2017

I live in a small town (25,000 to quantify) in rural Northeast Texas. It's a perfect size - not too big to have traffic, but not too small to go without a movie theater, shopping center, etc. We are also within 1.5 hours of the DFW metroplex so "big attractions" are plenty close. I would never want to live in a bigger town, although I would consider even smaller. I guess I love never being in a hurry and never feeling rushed or crowded. Our town is also really good about having community events at least monthly so there are things to do and see.

18. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Companion

Aug 21, 2017

I live in a small town in central NJ. It's about 20 minutes from my school district. I can walk to the downtown area in about 15 min, but it still has a nice suburban feel.