What do you guys think of "Meet the Teacher" letters? Do you do them?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Em_Catz, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jul 30, 2014

When my children were in elementary school I hated them because the teachers wrote about their favorite gift ideas.
    For example....
    I love shopping at Target while enjoying a little treat from Starbucks. I also love eating at .....

At Christmas time the PTO would send home a letter to each family about the teacher. Sure enough it would say.....
    Mrs. So and So loves gift cards to Target, Starbucks, and (insert name of restaurant.)

TACKY!!!

2. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2014

I send a letter out to my parents and a postcard to my students. The letter is plain and simple about school stuff. The only thing about me is my name. I have attendance policies, homework stuff, and list of extra things we need for the class. The postcard is just to say hello and glad that you are in my class. This way at meet the teacher night for the most part questions have been answered and I can spend some time with the kids.

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 30, 2014

:eek: Tacky isn't a strong enough word. If a parent wants to get me a gift, great. But it's not something I expect or can imagine ever asking for. I had a coworker a few years ago who broke down and cried in my classroom because she didn't receive as many Christmas gifts from her class as she felt she should have.

I know we all have moments where we're more sensitive, but while gifts are great, they're a luxuary, not an expectation/requirement.

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 30, 2014

Yeah, but when Christmas comes around, who wants to get stuck with $100's of dollars worth of Subway gift cards or other things you have to force yourself to end up using. I've been asked by parents (at x-mas and end of the year) WHAT gift card I would like them to give me.

5. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2014

I agree completely on them being a luxury, but as a parent I do appreciate it when a teacher makes some of the things they like known. Otherwise I end up really shooting in the dark when I DO want to get something for them. And it would be nice to be able to select things other than gift cards...

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 1, 2014

I have a complete packet that I give parents. It has some forms for them to fill out for me about their home and family. It also includes a letter about me, my job history, and a little about my family. I also staple a business card with my contact information to the front of it.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 1, 2014

I don't do that, but one year a parent got me a gift card to a farm store because they knew my husband was an Ag teacher and my kids showed livestock. I thought it was sweet they thought of me as a person with a life outside of school.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 1, 2014

That's true. If I included something about gifts, I'd say something like:

"Mrs. Catz loves reading, going to baseball games with Mr. Catz, throwing toys for her kitten to catch, watching movies with her friends and gardening.

Pigs are her favorite animal, so she likes to collect things with pigs on them. She even drinks peppermint tea out of a pig shaped mug and has socks with flying pigs on them!"

If I were a parent looking to buy the teacher a gift, I feel like that would give me a lot of ideas. If I were a parent not looking for a gift, I'd just assume the teacher was telling about herself.

That might be too subtle, but that's my personality. I can be direct when it's a necessity (ie: "Your child doesn't do their homework." or "Your child is making great progress in reading. I just want to work on their sight words".) When it's something I want but don't need, then I'm subtle/indirect

9. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 1, 2014

I had to create one as a writing sample for an interview. I usually keep it brief and focused on art class rather than myself. It's more of a way for me to gather contact information from my hundreds of students :)

10. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 1, 2014

I have a section on our class website about me (including a pic), but in my parent letter I stick to helpful information like the address for the website, how to contact me, some of the things they can expect this year, etc.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

Generally it should be the job of the PTO to gather this kind of info via a survey or something rather than the teachers advertising their own preferences directly to the parents.

12. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 4, 2014

I was going to say the same thing. As a private preschool teacher, this is the norm. Therefore we don't send welcome letters with teacher info. In fact, our pictures are posted right outside of the classroom along with lesson plans, newsletters, and daily highlights about the day. In our bios we are encouraged to share personal tidbits such as info about our place of origin, languages spoken, families and hobbies in addition to the typical degree related info. It has never been a problem.

In the elementary school setting, my children's teachers have always given us a letter with a little info about themselves as well as the classroom. It was always appreciated.

13. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I have an all-inclusive Back-to-School letter that goes home on the first day of school. It does introduce me, but very little personal information. I tell where and when I received my education, how long I have been at the school, and some of my hobbies. (In my spare time I enjoy watching baseball, bowling, reading biographies, and singing.) It's enough of an insight that makes me a real human being, without getting too specific and personal. I then go on to explain the classroom management plan, homework procedure, invite them to Back to School Night, and let them know how to contact me at school.