What do you do to stay positive?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Apr 16, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Apr 17, 2017

Often, an unhappy teacher and unhappy students are found in the same place. Sometimes when I'm stressed out or just in a rut it's a feeling shared by my students. So I try to reconnect our classroom community with something kind of fun. We might have a classroom meeting to share a piece of news or unknown fact about ourselves, or I might do a read aloud with really interactive voices. I also take a deep breath and go extra slow to make sure they know what I'm asking them to do, and then play relaxing or happy music (depending on the activity) while they work quietly. Getting the classroom back into a productive flow can really help everyone's mood.

Also, for the kids who just drive me bonkers, sometimes I will try extra hard to praise, praise, praise the kids who are being good. It's not my usual style to ignore bad behavior like that, but it does help everyone (myself and the other students) focus on what we have going well for us. On a day when I have a a student with an especially large behavior problem, everyone is on edge - it's really not fair that one kid can change the mood of the entire class like that.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Peregrin5 likes this.
  2. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Apr 17, 2017

I make a list of all the things I am thankful for. Work as been pretty discouraging lately and there are many factors beyond my control. So on my drive today I started thinking about all the things I have been blessed with - family, friends, a job, health, a home, etc. It's pretty hard to stay down when I am focused on the good things in my life. Eventually I was able to list some parts of my job that I am thankful for and I ended up having a pretty great day. So here's hoping this attitude lasts - I am going to try really hard!