what do you do to challenge your high-performing students?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by sevenplus, Jan 25, 2009.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2009

This is my biggest area of struggle. I am having difficulty differentiating and challenge my students who are working above grade level. I have 27 students and am a bit overwhelmed with just keeping up.

I have a couple of student who are reading at a first grade level and a couple who are excelling at math.

I need simple ways to challenge them.

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2009

The easiest time to differentiate reading would be during guided reading time. Do more in depth lessons with your high group.

You could also do the same in math. Do you have math stations? During station time you could be pulling a group a day and when it is the high group's day, teach deeper concepts.

During calendar I often introduce higher level skills that the high-level kids will pick up.

Have a shelf full of activities students can do when they are finished with work. Have a range of things so that your lower and average kids will have something as well as your challenge kids.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2009

Thanks for your suggestions.

I do the guided reading groups but haven't done math groups. I'm monitoring the class or helping at a particular math center. I don't have a very independent group this year. They are struggling with reading stations this year, too, and I've had to simplify so much so they can function without interrupting my groups. Seems like every time I get my groups off the ground we have assessment or something else the disrupts the flow.

I do try to engage them a lot, especially in science, and I also throw in other skills here and there. But as far as planning lessons just for them - well, I feel overwhelmed with my planning this year as it is.

I've thought about having more difficult sight words for them and things like that, but even that I haven't figured out how to organize.

I don't know why I'm struggling so much this year. (I keep blaming my class size, though.)

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jan 26, 2009

I hear ya! I have 24 and feel like I'm treading water just to survive...forget swimming! lol!:) I do have them do more in depth books during literacy lessons.