What do you do first when setting up your room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LMichele, Jul 19, 2014.

1. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 20, 2014

I move furniture first, and then start on bulletin boards.

2. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2014

Furniture first. Then bulletin boards. Then cleaning/organizing. Then decorating.

Last year was easy my 3rd year in that room I knew exactly how I wanted everything. I have a new room this year, it's going to take a bit longer.

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 20, 2014

1. Have a mild panic attack. Stare at everything.

2. Slowly start moving furniture to one corner or the hallway, if possible.

3. Lay out the furniture that I want and label the rest for removal.

4. Clean and organize supplies/cabinets/closets.

5. Decorate/bulletin boards.

In the past I have been completely done by the end of June. My kids help me a lot. Then I spend teacher PD days planning. However, this year I am completely switching rooms AND they have been painting....so half my stuff is in one hallway, half is in another, and I can't get in there for 2 more weeks. I'm VERY anxious!

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 20, 2014

:lol:

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2014

Take pictures of everything and measure your walls and boards and shelves. Then take it all home and think about what you want to include in the classroom and how you want to set up the space. It's much more productive and far less overwhelming to go in with a plan than it is to try to make sense of it "in real time." :) Jodi

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 21, 2014

I set the major furniture first because I usually change things up a little each year. I do the walls and bulletin boards next and then finish up with the supplies, books, etc.

7. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 21, 2014

Thanks everyone! I have absolutely no idea how I want to set up the furniture, which is making me nervous. I feel like I won't be able to get anything done if I'm stuck on the furniture arrangement.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 21, 2014

You'll find a way that makes sense at the beginning of the year. Then once you and your class has lived in the space a for a bit you'll tweak. I think I changed my room layout 4 times my first year as I learned what worked.

9. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 22, 2014

I start with the furniture, ceiling stuff, and alternate cleaning out a cabinet, and putting up a bulletin board. I get bored doing just organizing or decorating. So mixing it up makes it survivable.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

I:

1) Set up the tables

2) Take the paper off the bookshelves

3) Start my bulletin boards (start because my kids will help finish them as one of our first activities).

For me, those are the main things I am setting up. Of course, at the beginning of the year everything needs to be wiped down and cleaned really well as everything has accumulated dust since the end of the school year.

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

You know, I keep rearranging my furniture until I get it right. It took me about 5 years to get a basic arrangement that I like, and I still change it around. There have been some years that I move the entire classroom around several times through the school year.

I always do furniture first. Set up a basic arrangement. Then sit at each space you would teach from and see if you like the arrangement from that angle. I hate it when I can't see over things from my desk or small group table. Walk between everything to make sure you and the kiddos have enough room. If later you think you have a better idea where something might go, that's okay! It's your classroom, so feel free to change it if necessary.

The next thing I do is clean and organize. This year I emptied my entire closet and organized what I knew would need to go inside the closet. We have a very large closet and we need to leave enough floor space for the whole class to get in and sit down. I've been working on other things in the last week. Putting things away, going through everything and purging, cleaning, etc... All of this work before school starts helps me feel less stressed, and keeps me organized through the school year.

The last thing I will do is decorate. I have one table set aside with all the things I will put up on the walls when I'm ready.

If you're a list maker, make a list of all the things you know you need to get finished before open house/1st day of school. Prioritize what is most important. I'm very lucky to have a mom who is willing and able to help me. I make a list of things for her to do, and she works on it at her own pace. If you can enlist help from family, friends, or even the neighbors kids, do it! There are many things that you have to do on your own, but there are many things that you can have help to do.

12. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

Unlike everyone else, furniture is the last thing I do. I leave the desks and chairs stacked in the middle of the room so they are out of the way. I start with cleaning and organizing, then bulletin boards, then decorations, last I put the desks in order. This year I painted my room so I did that first.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 23, 2014

Typically, I arrange furniture, then put up bulletin boards, then organize (starting with the classroom library), and decorate last. Even though I've only been teaching for 2 years, I've set up my room a lot because I taught year round the first year and had to set up my room 4 times that year! I got very fast and efficient.

I'm actually going in to work on my room tomorrow. I've been there twice briefly and it's really just been the staring and panicking that FourSquare mentioned. :lol:

My plan:
    1. Arrange furniture
    2. Get boards up - there are no boards in the room, so this is stressing me out because it should be time consuming. Thankfully tomorrow I have help!
    3. Get the library up
    4. Bring in all the stuff that's not there yet and organize!

It's going to be a LONG process this year..new school, new grade level...

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2014

I'll be in a new classroom this coming year and moved everything from my old room at the end of the school year. I took one afternoon and had my students help carry everything down the hall. Because I didn't need to box everything up and unpack, I was able to put things away and organize my cupboards the way I (think) want them in September, so that ppart is already done. Some of my students even organized my class library onto shelves for me!

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 23, 2014

I should add... typically I do A LOT of visiting before I actually tackle the room.... and then there are lots of snack / visit breaks. :) I love re-connecting with my colleagues.