What do you do first when setting up your room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LMichele, Jul 19, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 19, 2014

I still have a 6 weeks left of summer, but I'm starting to think about setting up my classroom. I'm switching positions and therefore classrooms, and have inherited things from two classrooms. Everything is stored in the closets. There is A LOT of stuff.

How do you start setting up? Do you set up furniture, then organize, then decorate? I'm thinking I'll get the bulletin boards up first (because that's the fun part!), inventorying what is in the closets and organizing what I can, and then furniture.

3. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

Every year I start a little differently, but the one thing I always start with is furniture. All my furniture is usually piled into the middle of the room and I can't get to anything. So instead of just moving the furniture out of the way and then moving it again, I just go ahead and get that out of the way. Plus this helps me visually see what spaces I have left for decorations. I have no bulliten boards in my room, so I have to make my own using the bulliten board paper and borders. After the furniture is set, there is no telling what I do. I tend to not be able to work on just one thing for too long, cuz it can get kinda frustrating. Over the years, I have started making lists of what I know I need to get done before the beginning of the year. Some years the lists are shorter than other years. This year I decided to change up my room layout, so it may take longer than usual to get everything where it needs to be before I start decorating.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2014

My custodians set up my furniture. I unwrap my bookshelves, set out baskets, supplies, resources which were away for summer. The I unpack and store my ordered supples, do name tags on desks and welcome bb. Takes me two days tops...just a few short hours per day, not full days!:eek: I HATE giving up my last few waning days of summer, so I've pretty much got it down to a system!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2014

When switching to a new classroom (as I will be this year), I have to get things organized and put away first. Then I can decorate.

I'm very excited that the teacher I'm taking over for cleaned everything out. And I mean everything! She left a few basic supplies organized into baskets. Other than that, not a thing!

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 19, 2014

I try to set up my room in the reverse order from how I pack it. My class library is the last thing I packed, so it's the first thing I unpack.

I DESPISE decorating my room. Honestly... I just get everything unpacked, and then I usually find somebody who is into decorating and buy them lunch in return for them doing the decorating for me.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2014

This year I'm dreading setting up. I'm in the same classroom as last year, and I had it set up pretty well. I wasn't at school the last two days of school (my dad had a major heart attack), so I didn't get to "take down" my room with my kids the way I normally do. I did get most things packed away, but then had to report for my summer job with the sped department, so I couldn't go back to the school while I was doing that (the entire district is on a 4-day work week for the summer). That didn't end until last week, so this was supposed to be my one "free" week for classroom work and printing posters & making copies, BUT... we got an email from the P that our entire school is being painted AND the custodians are just now waxing the floors. This wouldn't be a problem EXCEPT I will be in Teacher Leader training this coming week - all week (M-TH), and in a mandatory school-wide training the following week (M-TH). The week after that, we have Monday and Tuesday available to set up, but then teachers report for professional development Wednesday - Friday, and the kids come back Monday! Eek! I'm just praying that my boss will be nice (she usually is) and open up the school on Friday, so we can actually get some work done! :dizzy:

8. Mommytotmn

Mommytotmn Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

I figure out room layout first and set up the furniture. Then I do the bulletin boards. When that is accomplished, I can go through materials/curriculum in a more comfy place. :)

9. reneeinms

reneeinms Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

Organize, furniture, decorate. I save the best for last. :)

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2014

Furniture, organize, and decorate. Right now I'm in the organize process. The furniture I moved last week. I am working a couple of hours a day when I am too bored at home. Plus we are going on vacation the first week of August. Then the second week I have two days of PD. The third week is our week of meetings and then we start on the 25th.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

Teachers are always contracted to return one week before the first day of school. However, I was one of those teachers who liked taking my time (setting up and organizing). I normally started coming to school a week before teachers' start date (that way, I'd have about five extra days to get things done without rushing).

I am extremely meticulous and it took me several days to set up bulletin boards. I'd usually ask my bf for help when it came to decorating the classroom (he's just as type A as I am).

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 20, 2014

I get the furniture in order first. Generally our custodians do it all for us, but it's not always 'exactly' like my vision. That doesn't take too long. Then I get stuff up on the walls. I do most of the planning once that's taken care of because I have space to work in. I try to take 3 days max to get everything sorted. This year may be longer because I'm switching grades so I'll have to sort through new curriculum.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2014

I also get my furniture arranged first. Then I organize and get things up on the bulletin boards. As I'm getting materials organized, I often tweak my furniture arrangement to make for better traffic flow. I'll probably be in for 4 days during the week before school starts, 4-5 hours a day.

14. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 20, 2014

I have to get the furniture arranged before I can do anything else. Once that is in place I set up center areas. And I decorate last. I don't have to do much decorating because we don't have to take down everything off our walls.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 20, 2014

Furniture is usually the most difficult part. Then I work on organizing the counters and bookcases. The bulletin boards come last.

16. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 20, 2014

I worked in my room last week and the very first thing I did was place all the furniture where it needed to go. It was all piled in the corner of my room, so I was unable to get to a lot of things with it in the way. After the furniture was in place, I set up my personal area and pulled out anything I had placed in cabinets before last year ended. Then I started to put butcher paper/borders up on all of my bulletin boards. Now I'm working on the content that will actually go on each board.