What do I do with extra time?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by learningtogrow, Sep 17, 2015.

1. learningtogrow

learningtogrow New Member

Sep 17, 2015

Extra Time

I was wondering what teachers do with the extra 5, 10, or 15 minutes that they have between transitional periods that should not be wasted, but might not exactly be enough time to fit a new lesson or activity.

3. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Sep 17, 2015

I sometimes give my kids a brainteaser, a riddle, a rebus, or some kind of critical thinking puzzle to fill in time gaps. You can google brainteasers/rebus/etc. for whatever grade you have and there are tons of resources out there.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, learningtogrow. The two threads that you launched on this topic have been merged - the site owner's policy is to discourage multiple threads on the same topic at the same time by the same member, on grounds that this dilutes the discussion. (No worries, though: you're not in trouble.)

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 17, 2015

A quick and simple review game. Students always can use a bit more review of concepts covered (such as in math).

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 17, 2015

Read-aloud, a few minutes of silent reading time, snack time, etc.

7. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Rookie

Sep 18, 2015

We do a couple brain breaks or read aloud.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 18, 2015

A chapter book you can read a little at a time, books of poems, flash cards, quick review games, spelling practice on white boards, review an earlier concept (especially if it's something the kids usually forget, like specific vocabulary or a skill that's about to be applied in the next unit). B

9. MsMika

MsMika Rookie

Sep 19, 2015

I second that..
    I teach science, & usually do a hangman of new scientific words we studied or a riddle

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 19, 2015

Games with the Word Wall (What's my word? Give students clues and they have to guess the word you are thinking about).

Post-it game - Write a number on a Post-it and stick it on the back of a student, who stands at the front of the room with his/her back to the class. Don't tell the student what number is on his/her back. Then he/she asks the class questions about the number until he/she has narrowed down which number it is.

Sing, poems, chants

Story

11. Goody7

Goody7 New Member

Sep 28, 2015

Read aloud or Sharing of Work

When I find myself with a few minutes at the conclusion of a lesson I usually try and find a piece of work that has been presented well and the objectives of the task met. I then ask that student quietly if they are happy to share with the class (most students are so happy when they are selected). I also try to find students who have improved at something or managed to complete work they were not sure they could do.

12. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Sep 28, 2015

My 3 favorite activities were:
    1. Free reading time, (alone or with partners).
    2. I'd read aloud to the students. An amazing amount of languaging development occurs when the teacher reads to students that cannot be as easily obtained from their own personal reading.
    3. Allow the students to socialize with each other. This is (unfortunately) a crucial need for modern day students who spend much time after school in non-social activities such as computers, video games, TV, and being trapped inside instead of playing outside (due to the dangers in their specific neighborhoods).

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2015

Game I have who has?
    Kahoot
    read aloud
    math facts
    Good fit book shop
    quick clean (give everyone a wipe and go to it)