What are your working conditions like?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.irene, Apr 12, 2017.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Apr 12, 2017

Spinoff from the "best states for teachers" post -- what are your working conditions like, specifically? I'm curious to see what things really look like across the country...

How big are your classes? Are they capped?
    How many instructional minutes do you have per week (minutes in front of a class)?
    How much unencumbered prep time do you have per week?
    How much time do you have for breaks, lunch, etc?
    What kind of technology do you have access to in your classroom?
    What supplies are provided, or what supply budget do you have?
    What state are you in? Union or non-union?
    What else did I leave out?

Our classes (secondary) are capped at 32. Most of mine are at full capacity.
    How long are your classes? How many total instructional minutes do you have per week (minutes in front of a class)?
    We have a rotating block schedule with 100 minute classes. I have 1200 minutes on A weeks, and 1300 minutes on B weeks.
    I have 300 minutes on A weeks, and 200 on B weeks.
    We have a 15-minute "nutrition break" between the two morning classes, then 35 minutes for lunch.
    We are 1:1 with iPads and good wifi throughout campus (most days).
    Nothing is provided except the tables and chairs. I get $80 for each of my 5 sections.
    I am in a unionized public school in California.

SageScience likes this.
  3. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Rookie

Apr 12, 2017

In my state, Virginia, it varies by school and city--it is all dependent on administration. My current district is probably the best I've had.

Our classes (secondary) are capped at 30. I have gotten the luck of the draw and have only 22 in most classes.
    How long are your classes? How many total instructional minutes do you have per week (minutes in front of a class)?

Alternating days, 90 minutes a class, so 270 minutes per week or 180 per week., then they switch.

450 per week

35 minutes for lunch

We are 1:1 with Chromebooks, although internet is wonky
    Only what comes with the room.

Virginia, public, non-union

ms.irene likes this.
  4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Apr 12, 2017

5. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2017

I have 29 students, began the year with 30. We "say" we cap at 25, in reality this is unofficially 28. Something I have mentioned to my administration and board, as we have parents shocked we aren't capped at 25. However, 25 is above the average of the usual Utah classroom for lower elementary.

How many instructional minutes do you have per week (minutes in front of a class)?
    On average, 27 hours.

On average, 10 hours.

About an hour a day, all told.

Computers, iPads, Apple Tv.

While we unofficially rely on students bringing supplies, I get about roughly 300$. School provides the copy paper.

Utah, non-union public charter school.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 12, 2017

They're capped at 40. I had 39 students in my classroom last semester until I complained because my room is half the size of everyone else's.
    About 24 hours
    6 hours.
    30 minutes a day.
    I have a chromebook cart
    They do provide printing paper and ink. Other than that I have zero budget, and I teach science.
    Oregon. Union.

ms.irene likes this.
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2017

Grades 1-3 are capped at 20. Grades 4-8 don't necessarily have a firm cap, but generally don't top out over 32.
    How many instructional minutes do you have per week (minutes in front of a class?4
    260 minutes/day--almost 22 hours/week.
    200 minutes prep time/week as per our collective agreement.
    The students have 30 minutes of recess and 60 minutes lunch each day. Teachers have 60 minutes of supervision duty each week (no more than 30 minutes/day).
    Ceiling-mounted projector in every classroom, grades 4-8 share carts of 20 Chromebooks between 2 rooms, 15 laptops in the library, all access have been provided a laptop, Chromebook or iPad for classroom use.
    Usually $23/student/year for consumable supplies. textbooks, Literature Circle sets, etc. come out of a separate budget line and are shared.
    I'm in Canada--Ontario. All public school employees must be union (federation) members.

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Apr 12, 2017

I live in Georgia so here is what I know:
    I am in elementary. I believe lower elementary is 30 K (they all have their own para) 1-3 capped at 25 4-5 capped at 35. But there are ways around the cap if they ask permission. So really it is very relative. I teach first and have 22. When I taught 5th I had 31.
    I have about 4 hours and 45 minute of instructional time per day. We gave a 30 minute lunch, 45 minute specials.
    This is tricky. Technically we get a 45 minute planning period but we lose time taking them and bringing them back. Plus one a week we have collaborative planning and once or twice a month we have meetings IEP, RTI etc.
    No breaks, just lunch 30 minutes.
    We have a smartboard, 6 laptops, and 2 desktop computers. Other grades have an iPad cart, but we have not gotten one yet.
    We get $150 per year to buy what we need with a purchase order. All other supplies are donated by students or bought on my own.
    Georgia. We do not have a strong union or collective bargaining in our state. So our principal has the "right" to move us from grade to grade or require us to attend evening functions as often as she/he seems fit. But I have a great principal who is fairly reasonable. Although we are moving to a new school next year and she really shook up the building and moved a LOT of people to different grade levels. Luckily I get to stay in first grade but there are several people having to switch grades and are pretty devastated they have to move.
    Although this list ask for the state we are in, really each district has different requirements and expectations. I live in the Atlanta area but I know that in southern Georgia things are vastly different because it is a more lower economical environment. So that is something to keep in mind.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 12, 2017

Classes aren't capped. We have about 28-32 in each class at my elementary school. I am a SPED teacher, not a classroom teacher. There are no caseload limits for us in my state either. I have 30 this year, but I've had up to 45 in the past. In my home state (OH), the caseload limit is 16, so it was quite a shock moving here!
    Almost 5.5 hours per day. Students are in school for 7 hours. We have a 50 minute lunch and a 50 minute plan (specials time for students). This is definitely the longest lunch I've ever gotten and I hope our new principal doesn't take it away! Per our contract we're only entitled to 30 minutes.
    Like a PP said, this varies a lot. Technically, our contract says we must have 3 individual plan periods per week. I know this was a huge deal in negotions because the district wanted all plan time to be "collaboration" time (aka taken up with meetings).
    50 minute lunch. No other breaks.
    I currently have a smartboard, but the district has told us the technology is outdated and they won't replace them as they break. We also have 1:1 i pads and I have a school provided macbook.
    We have a supply closet with basic things in it like pencils, paper, and basic office supplies. This is the only school I've worked in (I've worked in 3 schools in my state) that has provided this. We don't get a budget outside of that.
    Colorado. We're right-to-work, but we have an "association" that kind of acts like a union. Our BOE is good about working with them. In some nearby districts, the associations have been effectively disbanded because the BOE simply refuses to negotiate with them and they're not required to do so by law.
    Like a PP said, I think this varies heavily from district to district as well. I think it's really hard to compare things by state. The three districts I've worked in wtihin this state have all been very different.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Apr 12, 2017

How big are your classes? 22-23

Are they capped? Not as of next year.

How many instructional minutes do you have per week (minutes in front of a class)? 1,575 minutes. Students are in school for 7 1/2 hours each day. They get a 30 minute lunch.

How much unencumbered prep time do you have per week? 200 minutes unless we have a grade level meeting and then it's 155 per week.

How much time do you have for breaks, lunch, etc? 30 minutes daily

What kind of technology do you have access to in your classroom? Desktop, projector, and document camera

What supplies are provided, or what supply budget do you have? $200

What state are you in? Union or non-union? Texas. Non- union.

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2017

How big are your classes?
    27-28

Are they capped?

There's points at which we begin to get extra pay (i.e. for conferences) for over a certain number (I think 21?), and then there's the "cap". We have to be three over that cap, plus another one, I think, for it to trigger another teacher being added.

Including Lunch: 1,369 minutes
    Without Lunch: 1,219 minutes
    (Assuming I added it up right)

If you exclude recess/lunch times, 210 minutes during the school day, 300 before/after (we are here 30 minutes before and after students), for a total of 510. Sometimes an extra 90 for a total of 600.

Two 15-minute breaks and a 30-minute lunch

Desktop, teaching station, document camera, Activ Board, whiteboards, half a class set of netbooks, printer, mic system...I think that's it...

Too many to list for provided (either by the building or from initial school supplies), and then an additional $350 between the PTSA and building. An extra couple hundred for teachers in their first couple years.

WA / union

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 12, 2017

My classes are between 17-22. Not sure what the maximum size is. This is alternative ed, so 20 students are the same as 40 students in other high school. (at least 70 % of our students are those that no other schools want)

27.5 hours

1 hour 15 minutes. Yes, that's 15 minutes before school every day. It is most likely just for this school year because there was no other way to make our schedules work out. Last year I think I had about 5 hours.

15 minutes break every day, but it's not duty free, we must supervise kids. 35 minutes duty free lunch every day.

I have desktop, laptop with very strong Wi-Fi, Promethean board and I could probably get approved for anything I want. We have a Tech committee who says most of our money for technology is not requested enough by teachers.

I think I have $500. Never had any problems getting what I needed.

Ca, union, but it's not mandatory, at least in my district. I'm not paying any dues.

Because the minimal preptime, it seems like the conditions are sucky, and I think some teachers are not very happy at my school, but I am. Admin is understanding of the problem with lack of prep time, and I do whatever I can. I do assign independent work often (students do need to know how to sit there and read and do things on their own without me always talking them through it) and I can use that to grade and prep.
    I am happy :)

anon55 likes this.
  13. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Apr 12, 2017

When I worked in New Jersey
    How big are your classes? Are they capped? My classes were no larger than 20 students. I believe the cap was 25.
    How many instructional minutes do you have per week (minutes in front of a class)? If I recall correctly, we had block scheduling, 80 min classes that met 4 times a week. I believe it was 1600 min / week of instruction time.
    How much unencumbered prep time do you have per week? 320 minutes per week, I believe.
    How much time do you have for breaks, lunch, etc? One of our preps was lunch, I think.
    What kind of technology do you have access to in your classroom? At that time, I had a smart board on wheels and the district provided us with a desktop computer. Some other stuff (probes, sensors, etc.) for science. No WiFi was available. I used an app called "JuneFabrics" to create a network connection from my Droid to the laptop.
    What supplies are provided, or what supply budget do you have? When I first started working, supplies were provided to us. By my last year there, I was buying everything except copy machine paper. (This includes dry erase markers, pens and pencils, cleaning supplies, etc.)
    What state are you in? Union or non-union? NJ, Unionized
    What else did I leave out? I had tenure as NJ has a seniority system. In the public schools, all teachers must join the union either at 80% or 100%. NJ is not a right to work state.

When I worked in Arizona
    How big are your classes? Are they capped? between 35 and 40. They are supposed to be capped at 35.
    How long are your classes? The school day was from 8 AM to 4:05 PM, roughly.
    How much unencumbered prep time do you have per week? Maybe 60 min / day so 300 min / week.
    How much time do you have for breaks, lunch, etc? We had a 40 min lunch break daily I think.
    What kind of technology do you have access to in your classroom? iPads, Chromebooks, Macbooks for teachers, Smart Boards in some classrooms. So-so quality WiFi.
    What supplies are provided, or what supply budget do you have? Paper is provided. Technology, equipment for labs. Not aware of any budget for supplies.
    What state are you in? Union or non-union? Arizona, public charter school, non-union (no educational association either).
    What else did I leave out? Tenure (seniority system) is forbidden by the AZ Constitution. Also unions are different compared to states like NJ. While public schools are allowed to have "educational associations", not everyone had to join and those that did got a small level of representation. Arizona is a right to work state.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 13, 2017

Currently I have 27. The cap for elementary is 32. Every day, I look longingly at the primary classes with a cap at 22 (Title I).

1,625 (although 100 of those minutes are recess).

240 minutes

Theoretically, I have a 30 minute lunch. In reality, I have to stay in the cafeteria until my whole class has gone through the lunch line though, and I'm also required to check my mailbox during my lunch, so it's only actually 20 minutes. As far as breaks, I have my planning time, plus an additional 45 minute weekly CLT meeting.

I have a SMART board, an LCD projector, a teacher laptop, and 14 kid laptops. I also have 8 tablets that I got through a donors choose project.

lol

Virginia, non-union

I'm basically happy here. The pay is way too low for the area, but I'd bet most teachers could/would say the same. There is a huge disparity from school to school in terms of how teachers feel within the same district. It's truly amazing the effect that a good (or bad) administrator can have.

15. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2017

This year, I have 27. Usually, I am full at 28, which is the cap for my grade levels. K is capped at 20, 25 for 1-3, and 4-5 is 28.
    We're supposed to have 200, but many weeks it is 160 due to PLC meetings.
    60 minutes when the class is at lunch and recess. The only grades that get the full 60 every day are the two grades that have car duty every day for the year. The other grades have recess duty, so they lose 60 minutes a week for that.
    1:1 Chromebook cart, ceiling-mounted projector, Promethean board, mic system, teacher laptop, teacher iPad, Apple TV
    By state law, all elementary (K-6) gets $500 a year for classroom supplies.
    Arkansas, non-union

16. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Apr 13, 2017

1. How big are your classes? Are they capped?
      22 in collaborative classes and 5 in self contained with an aide
      80 minutes per class so 240 a day 1200 a week
      80 minutes a day 400 minutes a week
      25 minutes for lunch
      I have a promethean board, projector, document camera, and all teachers have a laptop and students are 1:1 with chrome books. Wifi is pretty good.
      They provide most basic supplies, of course we still buy some supplies to supplement what the school supplies us.
      VA public middle school non-union

17. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Apr 13, 2017

My average class size is about 15 students, and no.

I teach seven 45-minute periods per week, or 1575 minutes/week.

I get 45 minutes per day.

We get a 25-minute lunch.

We are one-to-one with Chromebooks as of this year. I have all the "teacher-tech" one could want.

I am a science teacher and I have never been told "no" on any purchase. I have never spent any money out of my own pocket.

Texas, non-union.

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 13, 2017

32 in 4-5 (TOO BIG) and 24 in K-3. Those are the caps.

I had to work this one out. It's about 25 hours a week after taking out lunch and recesses.

100 minutes (50 min 2x) per week during school hours.

I also have 305 combined additional minutes that occur before and after school. However, I kind of resent having to count all of that because our contract day is longer than most of the districts in my area.

45 min lunch, 20 min recess. We don't ever have duty during those times, which is really nice.

In addition to teacher tech, we are 2:1 chromebooks and have shared iPad carts as well.

$250 per year, but we can order consumable supplies (whiteboard markers, pencils, paper, etc) pretty freely within reason. They do keep track.

California. I'm at a public charter so I'm non-union. Public school teachers in CA are part of the union.

Pay. I make a lot less at a charter than I would at a public school. I'm switching next year and getting a huge raise.

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 13, 2017

I've had as many as 27, but this year my biggest is 17. That is much more average.
    How many instructional minutes do you have per week (minutes in front of a class)? 45 minutes five days a week.
    How much unencumbered prep time do you have per week? 45 minutes each day.
    How much time do you have for breaks, lunch, etc? 30-60 minutes depending on the day.
    What kind of technology do you have access to in your classroom? Laptops, smartboard
    What supplies are provided, or what supply budget do you have? We just ask for what we want. They're very generous typically.
    What state are you in? Union or non-union? Ohio union
    What else did I leave out? We have a great district! I'm truly lucky!

ms.irene likes this.
  20. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Apr 13, 2017

That sounds amazing! Is this elementary?

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 14, 2017

No I'm in HS! I love it! I feel so spoiled sometimes.