What are your part time jobs?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Aug 7, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 7, 2011

My last post about living paycheck to paycheck I said I was looking for a 2nd job.

What jobs do you work besides tutoring?

I need the extra money but I do not want something that has me working late nights after school and something too hard that will have me so tired the next morning with the kids.

I know tutoring and maybe retail or a coffee shop, painting pottery type place.

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2011

What ever is on the Honey-Do list........:lol:

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 7, 2011

As a nanny, you can charge almost twice min wage with educ background.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 7, 2011

Do people really need nanny's afterschool? I was thinking they would want maybe a high school babysitter. I'll look into that.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

I worked in retail for years and years and years. I may go back if I can find a store that is 1. close to home and 2. open no later than 9pm.

Now, though, I work for Adult Basic Learning Education. I test students who are interested in (or court ordered to) get their GEDs.

7. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 7, 2011

Secret shopper

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2011

I haven't worked a 2nd job in God knows how long, but how about the following less hectic jobs:

- bookstores
    - hotel front desk (can get hectic)
    - florist
    - art & crafts store
    - museum
    - hobby store

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 7, 2011

One of my friends worked a retail job for years. She worked weekends, holidays, and summers. She did not work Sunday night to Thursday night. She not only liked that the job was easy, but she loved the employee discount. It was also nothing at all like her teaching job, so she liked the escape from education.

I would probably like a job like that, but I'm in such a small town that I'd drive away all the money I'd make just getting to work.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2011

I've done front desk as well! I actually love the hospitality industry since that's what I did during college.

11. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I have a part-time temp job with my boyfriend, handling his business transactions. Also, I have a part-time temp job writing journal articles for my Animal Science adviser using parts of my dissertation. I won't be taking any jobs over the school year. I will be volunteering to help coach the Quick Recall team and volunteer as a member on one of the school committees. Also, I plan to hit the gym more often since I went from being in Urban Active with a trainer to YMCA (exercising with my friend).

Next summer, I will probably try to find a teaching gig at the summer camp hosted by the science center in my city.

12. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

I sub for a YMCA after school program. I worked for the Y for years during college as a counselor. I like subbing because I can say no to working if I want or need to.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

I've worked the after school program before. My dh's 2nd job is selling stuff on ebay.

A couple of teacher's I know waitress on the weekends & I know one that works on a golf course.

14. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

Up until this summer I always had a second job! For a while I had two extra jobs mainly because they were so flexible...why not?

I was a server at Olive Garden and a respite worker for families with disabled children.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

I teach an SAT prep course over the summer.

And most summers I do freelance writing, though nothing has really turned up since about May.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 7, 2011

I am really debating whether I want to keep my 2nd job during the school year. I work at an after school program where we tutor/give homework help, run guided reading groups, and do fitness/arts activities. The money is really good, it's only 2 hours after school, and I enjoyed that the program allowed me to get to know the gen ed kids in our school a lot better. I felt that everyone knowing me put less of a stigma on kids coming to my class, and I enjoyed building that relationship with other (non special ed) kids in the school through spending so much time with them. However, it was SO draining. After a full school day, 2 more hours of school is a lot! So I basically worked 7:30-5, and that was before doing anything "outside of school" for my class. Any work I had to do at home had to be even later than that. I had a lot of behavior problems in my group (led by a teacher's kid who is usually allowed to do whatever he wants) and it was very stressful. We ended the program in April so that we could have time to do end of the year things, and after that I just felt SO much better and less stressed. My day with kids was actually done at the normal time! However, it's only 2 hours and the money is great...the pay is more than what my hourly wage would be for duing the school year. It won't start until October, so I'm going to see how I feel at the beginning of the year before deciding.

In the summer I worked at ESY (summer school for special ed students, mostly with severe needs) and I enjoyed that. The schedule was perfect- 8-12 3 days a week. So I still got to work a little but got a ton of time off too. The pay was also great...working just the 12 hours a week I was able to make almost as much as I would per month during the school year! Since it just counts as a stipend toward my regular pay check, I also don't have to list it as a seperate job for my taxes. I'd be bored not working in the summer anyway. I will definitely do that again.

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 7, 2011

Waterfall I would take a job that was just an extra 2 hours any day. You should keep it.

18. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 8, 2011

I don't work any extra now, but I have done the after school programs before, and really enjoyed it, before I had children. Now it's just too much away from my kiddos. I was the sub teacher for the program last year, and that worked really well. A little extra money, and not too many hours.

I loved the first program I worked at (before marriage). $18 an hour, 8 hours per week. Then at my new school it was $15 an hour, then dropped to $13/hr last year (different funding source).

If I didn't have small children, or lived closer to school, I'd do it in a heartbeat.