What are your consequences for no homework?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Arky, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

What are your consequences for no homework?
    I teach 3rd grade and I am having trouble getting my children to turn it in.

Is the following to harsh?

NO HOMEWORK

NO RECESS
    MARK YOUR FOLDER
    0 FOR YOUR GRADE

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 4, 2009

That does sound sorta harsh and I teach 5th grade. Though we don't really have anything written down well, I do the following per week:
    1. First time: hand it in to me the next day
    2. Second time: stay in at recess to finish it
    3. Third time: stay in at recess and send an email home to the parents

Points are deducted from the assignment for being late. I never put a zero in for their work as long as they do the work~ I feel even if it's a month late, they deserve some credit. We don't give grades out in my grade level (crazy I know), so I use this system to input grades:
    Check plus: 10 out of 10
    Check: 8.5 out of 10
    Check minus: 7 out of 10
    Check imp (improvement): 5 out of 10

They come in from 4th grade being very babied from their teachers, so this often a harsh wake up call for them. We try to ease them into it and honestly most of our students do great. :)

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 4, 2009

One suggestion I have for you, if you're noticing alot of missing work (I do a modified version of this since I only teach science):

1. Make a document that lists all the subjects that you teach your students.
    2. Write down what assignments they worked on in class and for homework that week and mark it with a [Monday] etc for when the assignment was due.
    3. Sit down with the student and check off what assignments he/she turned in. Highlight what assignments are still due from the student. Make sure you have extra copies on hand~ if a child sees that list, they usually want to get working on the work missing.

You could do this as a daily activity for those who are really in need of the help. Just write it in with them and do the check off or highlight. But find a time when its just you and them being able to go over this. :)

5. glen

glen Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Our policy (7th and 8th grade) is a 30 minute after school detention for a missing HW. It may be turned in the next day for full credit (still owe a detention). After that, the teacher does not have to accept it. In the lower grades, (4th and up), the student can get a detention, but I'm not sure if it is assigned for first offense. Third grade gets a note home.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 4, 2009

NO HOMEWORK

NO RECESS I kind of agree with this because they can work on their HW during recess time, on the other hand, you are taking away their chance to be active and get exercise and the only time they have to talk and goof off during the day.
    MARK YOUR FOLDER Parents should know that they didn't turn in their HW
    0 FOR YOUR GRADE I think they should have a chance to make this up, HW is probably not the bulk of your grade anyway, just a way to give additional practice and assess independent practice. So, what is the purpose if they can skip it and just take a 0 when a few 0s for HW probably won't really affect their grade?

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

We have assignment books that the parents sign complete or incomplete each evening so they know even before the student gets to school that their homework was not done. Incomplete homework gets the student after school detention to complete the assignment, which takes priority over any after school activities or classes. Homework is only accepted on the day it is due, so when it is completed in detention it gets put in the teacher's mailbox that day. Turn it in the next day and it is a zero.

Most homework is incomplete because the kids have forgotten to take something home with them, so they know they can come to school early, get what they need, and complete the work before the first bell.

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jan 4, 2009

My students stay in at recess and do their homework if they did not bring it to school for whatever reason.

If a child is a chronic no-homework-returned student, I talk to them, their parents and record it for future reference in case it goes to the P.

I don't give marks because no recess is enough punishment. To give a mark would be like double jeopardy.

We aren't allowed to give a zero grade; 50 is the lowest mark we can give (not sure why). If the child does the homework during recess, why would you give them a zero anyway? This does seem harsh.

BTW, if the students get a zero anyway, why should they bother to do it? If that was the consequence I faced, I wouldn't bother.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2009

I don't like punishing kids with grades - so if they stayed in and did the homework during recess, I would give them a grade for it. Other than that, it sounds right to me, but I teach high school... Pretty much what I do though - they can stay after school and make it up.

10. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Our policy is no homework, no recess. Since our report cards are standards based (no grades, just "exceeeds standard, meets standard, below standard", etc) we cannot punish with grades. The students make up the work at recess, so their work can be scored. They lose 3 points towards attending Fun Friday activities. Unfortunately we have the same kids in for recess detention every day.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

I have kids sign my 'Missing HW' book. I refer to this at report card time...

You could have them miss centers or some other choice activity and spend time in the 'finishing' center to complete the missing work or have them do it at recess as suggested in previous posts here...I'd make a phone call home for 'repeat offenders'...

Have you ever seen 'Homeworkopoly'? It is an incentive 'game' for completing homework. Here's some links to it:

http://www.teachnet.com/homeworkopoly/
    http://www.msjensenclass.com/Teacher_Resources/homeworkopoly.htm
    http://www.mrsvandyke.com/homeworkopoly.htm
    http://www.myteacherpages.com/webpages/JGriffin/homeworkopoly.cfm

There are many many sites online explaining how to use it...I don't do HWopoly, but I know there are members here on the forums who like it...

12. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 4, 2009

when my kids do not do their homework, i give them another day, and that is usually all it takes. Otherrwise, they either do it at recess or if we have a game or activity time, I have them do it then.

13. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

I did not make myself clear. Sorry about that.
    No homework, do it during recess.
    Mark your folder so parents know
    0 is if they do not turn it in after a few days and if I grade that one. I do not take a grade on all their homework.

The homework I give is 10 math problems. That's it. It is always review yet I have some that still will not turn it in after recess. I think part of the problem is that they just are not geared towards understanding grades yet or they just don't seem to care. I quit giving homework last year because it was such a problem.

14. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 4, 2009

If a child isn't turning in homework, they simply get a zero. Than, at the end of the week, they get a call home to their parents letting them know

15. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

My students are expected to get their agenda signed, complete their book log, and complete 10 review problems and drill. If any of those are not completed, they get their name on the board/check for each one. So, for example, if a student doesn't have their agenda signed or their book log done, they get a name and a check. Plus, they're in at recess to complete their book log.

16. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

Fun Friday/Homework Detention

Our 4/5 team came up with Fun Fridays to encourage completed homework. Any missing assignments and the last hour of Friday is spent in class doing make-up work while all the other 4th & 5th grade students are doing fun activities (PE games, design activities, art, etc). We decided to do it during the school day because we couldn't get parent support for after school. It takes the whole team and support from the principal but what an improvement in students turning in their work!

In my class, I will accept work only 1 day late (and take 10% off). Students who didn't turn it in on the assigned due date, have to work on it at their recesses. I went with this policy because I know everyone can forget something at home or have something come up. However, I don't want to correct things days or weeks later. This just keeps things simple.

17. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Jan 11, 2009

The students can make up missing work at no penalty. When they ask for extra credit to improve their grade, I print a grade report and tell them to take their pick(s).

Everything I do is on purpose and builds, so if a students skips something, they fall behind. Even though I teach ELA, I teach it like math.

Oh and I grade it when I grade it. There is no rush for the student...current assignments always have priority. Make-ups or re-dos are always at the bottom of the pile...

By the end of second quarter, students rarely miss a homework assignment. Instead they come in to make up low scores. By the 4th quarter, the overwhelming majority (*save for maybe 2-3) are on task and finding success and are highly motivated.

18. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jan 11, 2009

I have one student this year who is constantly not turning her homework in. I have spoken with mom several times about it, but to no avail.

So here is what I decided to do. Homework in my class is given on Monday and due on Friday. If she hasn't turned it in on the day it's due, then I remind her that it needs to be completed and tell her to turn it in to me on Monday. When that doesn't happen, she is responsible for making up the work during school hours. (She really needs that extra practice). I don't like taking away recess - I feel like it is a necessary thing for kids to have. So, she misses out on our center time for however many days it takes for her to finish it (She is kind of a slow worker).

She actually turned her homework in on time this past Friday, so that is a good thing. Centers are alot of fun, and I figure she doesn't like to miss out on them!

19. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

I also take away recess. Except for 1 student - they all hand in their homework. I never grade homework though, I mark it complete or incomplete. I can never tell how much of their homework is being done themselves so it doesn't seem right to have it reflect on their report card. Infact, if a parent is helping them with the homework then wonderful! But I always keep in mind... if they got an A+ on their homework assignment it could be because they had parental help (which is fine, but its not an individual assessment). If they can repeat that A+ in an upcoming quiz or in class assignment, then I'm content.

I am starting to wish there was a better alternative to taking away their recess though... because I would rather not have to sit in my room watching them finish their homework during my free time... Luckily though, this doesn't happen often.

I was thinking of changing the policy to some other type of consequence that mirrors the "no recess" consequence but I can't think of anything. Grades don't influence the ones who neglect their homework.

Honestly, I wish I could send them home with "I will not forget to do my homework" writing 100 times... but I think the parents would get upset... lol. Though, maybe I can send them home with a worthy assignment - write an essay as to why homework is important, at least 3 paragraphs. hmm....

20. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

P.S. I like the idea of fun time on Fridays... I think if the no-homework students sat in the back and made up their work while they watched the rest of us participate in a fun game... it would encourage them for next week... Though if they forgot homework on Monday.. I would think some would just give up for the rest of the week because the free time has already been taken away.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2009

They get a strike. 3 strikes for the day and they lose recess. If it is a habitual problem, I will assign afterschool detention.
    As for points, 1 day late -5 points, 2 days -10 points, 3 days -15 points and after 4 days, they get a zero.