What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Apr 11, 2014.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

I loved this book! There is a sequel I want to read as well. Don made me think of Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.:lol:

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

Well, I guess I have to read this book then! I love Sheldon LOL

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

I really liked that book, even though it was a bit predictable. I thought it was a creative premise and wondered why we didn't think of doing something like that, in a small town with nothing to do! ;)

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 2, 2014

So I finally finished reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I loved this trilogy, and I am glad it ended the way it did. Maybe now she can live in peace.

Currently I am reading Word Nerds, Words Their Way ELL, and I want to start a new novel. I haven't decided what yet. Either HP Goblet of Fire, Night Circus, or one of a few books my sister recommended. So many books, so little time.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2014

The Rosie Project was OK. I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel. I didn't love it. It was different which was good.

My book club is reading Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz this month. I find the style and words easy to read, but it is not my type of genre. I doubt I'll finish by Sunday which is when we meet. I'm only about 1/4 of the way through it.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 6, 2014

I came upon the movie Odd Thomas on Netflix and just loved it so I started reading the books. I think I read 4 of them so far. The 4th one wasn't great but I'll read the 5th one I'm sure at some point.

I just picked up The King's Curse at the library today! Can't wait to read it!

7. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 11, 2014

I've heard mixed reactions. I was on the fence with this one by the end. I didn't like most of the characters, but then again, I don't think you're supposed to. At the same time, I couldn't put the book down. It was like watching a car accident - a morbid curiosity kept me reading.

I recently finished another one of her books Sharp Objects. I've come to the conclusion that her stories will be incredibly dark and involve extremely unlikable characters, some of whom really have no soul. Then again, I find myself unable to put her books down so I suppose there's something that draws me in to them. I'll probably read Dark Places in the near future.

8. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 11, 2014

I'm reading too many books right now. I started a memoir (This Boy's Life) that's been hard for me to get in to, perhaps because I saw the movie years ago.

Then, I wanted to welcome October with a Stephen King read. I started a collection of his short stories called Full Dark, No Stars, which I'm liking so far.

Right after I started the King book, Wonder became available from a hold I had placed on it months ago. It's been decent so far, but I'm hoping it will pick up since it got such high reviews on Goodreads.

So, I'm reading 3 books right now. Hopefully I can wrap them all up soon and go back to reading one book at a time. :dizzy:

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2014

I'm starting Dark Places. I've read her other two. Dark Places is also being made into a movie. It was supposed to come out in November, but I believe they've pushed it back to 2015. It has had zero press to my knowledge despite starring Charlize Theron, Christina Hendricks, and some other established actors.

They are very dark. But I like her writing because it isn't the generic 'happy ending' story.

10. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 11, 2014

Yes, I agree. I'll be interested in hearing your take on Dark Places.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 11, 2014

I feel the same way. I either read Dark places or Sharp Objects. I can't remember which one but it was a real page turner!

12. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Oct 11, 2014

Just finished reading Go Ask Alice, and started I Am Malala last night.

13. Harper

Harper Companion

Oct 11, 2014

Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore was fantastic.
    In the middle of Book of Air and Shadows - a little slow, but still compelling!

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 12, 2014

Just finished Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian. I love his books and this was no exception.

Also read LEFT Neglected by Lisa Genova about a woman who suffers traumatic brain injury -fiction.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

I started reading Dark Places on Sunday. I finished today. It is Gillian Flynn's best book by far, in my opinion. (Gone Girl is her worst, which is strange since it is the most popular.)
    I felt that it was a quicker read than Gone Girl. It is a 100 pages shorter, but it took me at least 2 weeks to read Gone Girl, and I'm usually a pretty quick reader. I read Sharp Objects quickly, but it has been a long time, so I don't remember. I also wasn't comparing it to anything since it was the first one I read.
    While I don't find any of her characters likeable, I do tend to feel sorry for the main character. Libby (Dark Places) was probably the closest to likeable. Both Libby and Camille (Sharp Objects) were 'damaged' as kids by the fault of another. Nick was 'damaged' in his own way, but not during childhood. All of them were victims. While not likeable, I did feel sorry for all of them.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 22, 2014

Currently teaching:
    Night by Wiesel
    1984 by Orwell
    And Then There Were None by Christie

Reading for fun:
    Don't Go. I think the author is Lisa someone?? I really like it. The writing isn't super great but the storyline is intriguing.

17. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 23, 2014

I'll be reading Dark Places soon. I've heard good things about it.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 23, 2014

I read that and I thought it was way better than Gone Girl. I just couldn't wait until the end to see what really happened.

19. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Oct 23, 2014

I'm currently on a waiting list at the library for this tile. I can't wait until it becomes available!

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

Haha yeah I hate that. I have waited as long as 6 months for a book I really wanted to read. People told me to just go buy it but I figured I could read other books in the meantime. I usually read 3 books at a time either an actual book or on my NOOK. Those non-readers just don't get it!! :lol: