What are some "must haves" when school shopping?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Aug 3, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

I am currently job hunting, but have not yet found a full time teaching job for the fall. I will be licensed for elementary, but other than that have no idea which grade I will be in (if I do find a job this year).

However, I would still like to begin purchasing some supplies and such. Are there any "must haves" that you would recommend that would be useful in any grade? For example, I've seen people mention a personal laminator; do you recommend that, and (if so) what brand/type? Any other materials or supplies?

Thanks so much

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

The only must-have of mine is a nice pen. I have a fun clicky purple pen with the wet ink and a gorgeous fountain pen. When I use them, I feel fancy. :lol: It's a small thing, but it really gives me a little smile during my day, even on rough days.

I think that you should avoid purchasing anything of the electronics variety until you've been in a classroom for a while and have seen what you really need. I would never have any use for a personal laminator and I don't know anyone who has one, but I'm sure there are people who love theirs and can't live without it.

I recommend thinking about how you're going to organize: binders, file folders, or digital-only? Baskets, totes with lids, bags? I also recommend taking a look at online programs and apps, like Edmodo and some of those class roster apps, and developing a technology plan for yourself. I think that either of these efforts would be a better use of your time than spending a lot of money on supplies that you might or might not use.

4. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

Oh, great ideas. Thanks!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 3, 2013

I would NOT buy supplies.

My school provides all basic office supplies. We can also order other things that we need. You also won't know what's already in the room, what kinds of things are and aren't allowed in the building, etc. I think it's a lot better to wait until you have a position.

Maybe take notes of things you see that you think you'd like. If you're on Pinterest, pin some ideas you like. Work on thinking about your classroom management plan.

I bought far more useful things when I waited until I needed things before I bought them. If I saw that I really needed a place to put copies, then I bought something to put copies in. Lots of really neat things are completely useless to me.

Things change, too. For example, I have a bunch of cute motivational type posters. For years I couldn't use them because we weren't allowed to post anything non-instructional. Now we have to remove all instructional materials from the walls during district and state tests, so I don't post those unless I'm currently using it. Now my motivational posters are back up. Some schools don't allow pre-made posters. You just never can tell.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2013

New Flair pens
    K cups for my morning coffee
    chilled Chardonnay in the fridge for when I get home:D

7. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 4, 2013

These are great suggestions! ;)

I agree with posters above that you will want to hold off on buying things until you know your situation.

The one thing you can always be on the lookout for are books, though! Building a classroom library can be expensive, so if you are at garage sales or thrift shops, you might want to stock up on those but other wise I wouldn't worry too much.

Organizational things like a previous poster said would also be a good thing to keep an eye out for. You could always find a use for bins and things.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 4, 2013

I honestly wouldn't buy anything but books if I didn't have a job yet. I wasted so much money my first year on things that I thought I would need, but I am very glad that I started purchasing books in college.

I don't buy any school supplies. The kids bring everything, and my school provides teachers with basic supplies. Most of my personal money is spent on books and storage. I wouldn't even buy storage items ahead of time, though, because you don't know what will fit in your cupboards or on the shelves until you have a classroom.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

I wouldn't buy anything, to be honest.

10. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2013

I wouldn't even buy books! The books you'll need vary - there's a big difference between a Kinder library and a 5th grade library!

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I was thinking this, too. I guess the only thing you might want shop for is a good, quality teacher bag...?

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2013

I like pretty/cute office supplies. For example, we're provided with binder clips, but I like the ones Target sells better (polka dot, striped, etc...)

I don't mind spending the extra money, but I know not everyone is like that :)

13. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

Some good quality work shoes! Oh man did I not realize how quickly I go through shoes. I walk the soles out of my shoes in some cases. I would also say maybe work on your wardrobe. I prefer to go with clothes I don't have to iron.

I also like the ideas for pens and a good quality teacher bag... I notice after two years I developed some holes in my bag.

14. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 4, 2013

Shoes, good pens you will love to use to grade papers with, and coffee.

I buy no-bleed through pens in an assortment of colors. They make me happy when sitting with a stack of papers to grade.

Where's the like button on this?:cool:

15. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 4, 2013

A good pencil sharpner, handwriting paper, and sentence strips

16. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 4, 2013

Wait for a job for these kinds of things. My school supplies these.

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

I would hold off on everything but supplies for a paper handling system since this is a personal choice, not usually provided by employers and would apply to most any job.

Old threads will give you more details. Decide if you want to use binders, file folders, etc. and then actually label it so it is ready to go. Other than that and maybe good shoes and basic work wardrobe items, I would hold off.

18. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I disagree about holding off on buying books--yes, the books you need for first grade are very different from what you would need for fifth grade, but you never know where your career might take you. I teach fifth/sixth, but if I find cheap picture books at a garage sale, I pick them up just in case I ever need to find a new job. I LOVE 5th/6th grade, but you just never know.

I don't think you should go out and spend hundreds on books if you don't know your grade level for sure, but garage sale/thrift shop prices could get you a lot of just a few bucks! Might as well take advantage of that if you can.

19. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 11, 2013

My school provides basic school supplies, but it's never enough. I'd recommend lots of binders (I like to color code by subject, but that's a personal choice). A package of plastic sheet protectors can be used to make dry erase boards. I also get extra crayons, pencils, glue sticks, folders, notebooks during back to school sale prices. I am constantly supplying full sets of school supplies to students whose families simply can't afford them. I agree not to buy too much before you know your situation.