What app do you use to help you learn more about your students?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Saad Benry, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Saad Benry

Saad Benry Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

Hi,

I am an education technology product developer, although I am not a teacher I am interested in how students learn and how teachers learn about their students to better guide them throughout their education.

I would like to ask an open question : What methods, applications, skills do you use to personalize your teaching to each of your students?

Thanks in advance!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2017

I spend a lot of time talking and listening to them. I can't think of any other method that will help me know them better.

4. Saad Benry

Saad Benry Rookie

Apr 19, 2017

Agreed that it does appear that tools will never replace humans! On the other hand, what are you identifying as you talk and listen to them? Do you have a process to identify strengths and weakness or do you rely on feelings? Do you take notes about each student's learner profile ?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2017

It's not that complicated. I just talk with them.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2017

The only apps I use are iTalkToThem and iGetToKnowThem ;)

Of course, they also use IXL, and a couple other tech tools academically, but that's just like any work they'd do in class and I'd look at as formative assessment.

SpecialPreskoo and carolinafan like this.
  7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2017

This.

8. Saad Benry

Saad Benry Rookie

Apr 21, 2017

Good one!

I do see the point you are trying to make. As you are talking and listening to them, do you just take mental notes for each student's specific needs? What do you pay attention to?

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2017

It's really not that complicated. You just talk a little and listen a lot, the same thing you would do with other important people in your life.

Honestly, I'm envisioning some sort of app that lets you make notes for students like this:

[​IMG]

This comes from an episode of The Office. Here's a clip.

carolinafan likes this.
  10. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

Apr 21, 2017

I've had students fill out an info sheet on the first day of school, and we have little get to know you activities, but that's mostly for contact information plus a few little details about them. Aside from that I just learn about them as we go through the school year. I guarantee there will be something I learn about one of my students on march 31st that I didn't get from the info sheet or the get to know you stuff. It's just learning, just like our students are doing.

MrsC and Caesar753 like this.
  11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2017

There are more explicit ways:
    -- Initial survey that parents fill out at the beginning of the year
    -- Student survey/pre-assessments & such

And then everything else, which encompasses 95-99% of it. Yes - mental notes about what I learn about each kid, what I see them doing at recess, their interactions with others...sometimes I'll jot these down (I have a document where I keep some notes, but don't use it that often), but often it'll just allow a better picture in my mind of who that student is and how to best approach them.

I pay attention to all of them. Those who don't see out attention as much (the quieter ones), I'll make an intentional point of connecting with at some point. It's a constant balance/juggling game, but so is life: you just learn another bit about it each day and use that to better help you live your life in it.

12. Saad Benry

Saad Benry Rookie

Apr 26, 2017

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience! It was very insightful.

I would like to unfold a little bit more here, in an attempt to spark some co-creation.

At the EdTech start-up where I work as a designer, we are developing a tool to help teachers learn more about their students. Since we host online tutoring sessions, conversations between the tutors and students provide a good insight into how the students are interacting with the different topics they are learning.

We currently feed back student's learning trends to the teachers based on the following criteria : Understanding of the topic, Independance in completing assignment, Strategies used to complete the assignment.

These are rubrics that our tutors can clearly identify in a session, although, I am looking for higher level information that we can feed back to the teacher on their dashboard. Keep in mind that the objective is that teachers do not get "extra work" from the platform, but mostly get a "picture" of their classroom or a student.

Now if I may ask another question : As a teacher, what are the questions that are at the top of your mind every school day morning ? How would you imagine the answer?

Examples of questions : Was the topics presented in previous class well understood ? Who is lacking confidence in their ability to learn the topic ? Who is showing great progress.

Thanks again for sharing & caring!