What a first grade teacher needs in their room

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by amersk, Jun 16, 2009.

1. amersk

amersk Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

This will be my first year teaching first grade, and my first year as a teacher! I obviously do not have a lot of supplies, furniture and things for my classroom. I have started a list of things I should get but I know I am overlooking so many things. Does anyone have suggestions on the "must haves" I should get for my classroom.
    Thanks

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

class carpet or mat area - for me this is the biggie!
    pointers - silly ones
    markers
    books, books, books - go to half price books or yard sale - they will be loved! I move to first from 2nd and had to add lots of books to my library level C and up.

I'm sure others will mention other things I cannot live without, but that is all I can think of now.

Pretty much 1st grade is more interactive than 2nd and 3rd tend to be. It's very much an early childhood tilt that 2nd/3rd has left behind.

You have to teach them everything and remind them constantly.
    One of the things that frustrated me the most when I moved to 1st was in 2nd I was used to telling them a few times with a few reminders and they got it (except for the sweettarts). But with 1st you have to accept that you will give constant reminders. You don't get past giving reminders - NOT in the same way as 2nd or 3rd.

It was a very hard transition, but I ABSOLUTELY wound up loving 1st grade. they are even sweeter than 2nd graders. They love the teacher and for the most part want to make you happy.

It's a great year! Have fun!

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

Several small, batter powered pencil sharpeners.

Clip boards.

A box or place for them to put papers they want to give you. One for assigned work, another for random stuff. They will always be drawing pictures they want you to have.

A lost and found.

Keep in mind that first graders lives center around finding, losing, breaking, and eating things.

5. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

baskets for your classroom library! Don't try to just put the books on a shelf like a real library! :)

a white board easel for carpet time (these were provided at my school, so make sure you see what they give you before you buy! - also, check on startup money, they may reimburse you if you save receipts)

slippers under your desk for those days that you can't spend another second in those shoes you shouldn't have worn ;)

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

Also a pair of athletic footwear for the days you need to take the class out for PE, which is every day where I work.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

What a great list! I too am moving to 1st, so this is awesome :D

8. 1stgrade09

1stgrade09 Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

I am starting my fifth year of teaching 1st grade and my 5th year as a teacher- I started out in first grade. While it is a fun grade (with LOTS to teach), it is by far the most rewarding. It really takes getting in there and working with them to see what you need and what works for you. Here are some things I recommend:

If you have tables- you will need baskets to store supplies. I have a basket on the end of each of my 3 tables. The basket holds a tall white plastic cup for each student. This cup holds their pencils, crayons, scissors and glue. What I love about this is they can take the cup anywhere in the room when we're working in small groups or centers and have everything they need. Very easy to pass out and clean up too.

Cubbies- These hold extra supplies the students bring in and papers/homework folders.

Baskets for Finished/Unfinished Work: I have two baskets on a shelf (one labeled "FINISHED" one labeled "UNFINISHED"). Make sure they are diff. colors. Students know they must not have anything in the unfinished basket or they will miss some center or recess time. It has worked well for me over the past few years.

I also keep a tooth chart- this is an age where they lose lots of them! You will need a birthday chart (I use Carson Dellosa's birthday cakes for each month). Any posters on vowels, time, money, def. a calendar, 100s,10s, and 1s.

Of course you will need the basic supplies: glue, scissors, const. paper, etc. Talk with teachers on your team and look around their rooms. That helped me the most my first year. Good luck!

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

I like what the others have said. I would also add a cd player with transition songs and songs that help learn concepts. Like "Dr. Jean" and things like that. I'm also not sure if anyone mentioned a pocket chart!

10. amersk

amersk Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

This is all great advice...and much appreciated! :)

11. gazing_iscariot

gazing_iscariot Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

This will also be my first teaching position teaching 1st grade! I've been scouring the web looking for a list of these things, so THANK YOU! Any other suggestions?

12. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 17, 2009

:spitwater: !!! so true!!

13. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

Math manipulatives! Hopefully you'll get some with your math series. If not, hit the dollar tree. They have packs of 8 dice, packs of tiny erasers or army men to use as counters, and I've even found sets of student clocks there.
    For storage of math manipulatives I use those sterilite drawers on wheels. I love the ones with a large drawer on bottom and four smaller ones on top. I also use the hanging shoe organizers hot glued to the wall to hold dice, counters, and calendar pieces.

14. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Always find out what things the school will give you first and whats already inside the classroom. I have been teaching for 4 years and during the summer of my first year and went out and boiught and gathered all sort of stuff, and when I was introduced to my classroom I had stocked bookshelves, markers, containers, puzzles just about everything.

I didn't think about the fact that I was a teaching at a title 1 school and they have different resources for the classroom.

I was glad that I had brought books. You can never have enough reading material for children. But double check with everything else. They may even give you a a little check to buy some supplies with.

15. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jun 18, 2009

Oh yes!! Definatley Dr. Jean songs. Although i think they are used more in kindergarten, first graders still love to sing.

16. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

Love the idea of keeping them in a rolling drawer - I happen to have an extra one, so this should work perfectly! Thanks!

17. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jun 18, 2009

Mailboxes to keep student work, or notes that need to be distributed to each student. They can get really expensive, but I bought the cardboard type from office depot, I think and I've used it the past year. I plan on using it for a fourth. it was about $15. This was a must interms of organizing student work.

Go to Half-Price Books to build up your classroom library.

Here's the best system I've tried for keeping my worksheets organized. Again, takes time/money - but very well worth it for my sanity: I keep binders for LA, Reading, Math, and Seasonal/Forms, subdivided with tabs for specific skills. Every single original worksheet that I have goes into a plastic page protector and into the binder. No hole punching. No wondering if this is the original worksheet, or just 1 of a million copies (b/c if its in a page protector, its the original. If it's not, its an extra and can be tossed). I can find anything I need when I need it....

I saw this GREAT idea posted here awhile ago by Doublescoop:
    Doublescoop:"I used to make copies and copies of "Fun When You're Done" activities for the kids to do but it felt like I was just making extra work, the kids weren't benefiting and I was spending too much time in the photocopy room.
    Now we have a "Ketchup Folder" and any work that is incomplete or needs correcting gets put in it. The kids know (after some training of course) that when they're done their work, their first job is to finish/correct the things in their Ketchup Folder. Then, if it's morning, they choose a book for silent reading time and if it's afternoon, they get to choose a quiet free-time activity of their choice.

I like this system because a) it doesn't require any extra work on my part, b) it teaches them responsibility for their own work and c) it rewards those kids who get their work done. In addition, on Fridays, I have a 15-20 minute period scheduled for kids to get their work done out of their Ketchup Folders but most of the time the kids work very hard to get their work done through the week because they know that if their Ketchup Folder is empty, they get Friday Free Time, which they love. For those who didn't get their work done, I send their folder home with an explanatory note, asking the parents to help their child catch up.

I've never had such a self-motivated class! "

18. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

I love the ketchup folder idea! I got my schedule a few days ago and I'm going to have a little bit of extra time on Fridays that would be perfect for working on ketchup folders or free choice. Thanks for the idea!

19. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 19, 2009

This is very true, and one of the most endearing things about 1st graders, I think. I will have to make a random-stuff box this year.

20. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

I agree. My first graders enjoy them in the very beginning of the year then, later on, I hear moans and groans when they hear Dr. Jean's voice. I really love her songs but I think she should have had someone else record them!

21. mmatias

mmatias New Member

Jul 1, 2009

Question for 1st grade teacher

Congratulations on your teaching job. I am trying to get into teaching and will be going to my second interview tomorrow. I did terrible on my first interview. Questions that got me were "What will I see if I walk into your class in reading time?", "How do you know if a child is falling behind?", "Describe a day in your class.". Also, what would be good questions to ask the principal at the end of the interview. THanks.