WGU Math K-6 Master's in Education?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Acamp, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Jun 2, 2019

Good morning everyone,
    I was just wondering if there were any recent graduates of the WGU Math K-6 Master's program? The program guide said the master's consisting of 10 courses.

If anyone on here completed it or is in the process of completing that program, could you share your thoughts/experiences on it? Thanks again.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jun 2, 2019

I have no info on WGU, but most Master's degrees are, indeed, 10 three hour courses. Master degrees do vary, depending on the type, but what you are describing is typical of those I have seen in the education specialties, since most don't include true research, just research papers.

Most MEd. degrees are all about the teaching of the subject/field as opposed to actual content knowledge in math, science, etc.. In NJ, such coursework doesn't count towards content hour requirements for attaining a certificate, since those hours must be free of teaching pedagogy. MEd. degrees are all about being a better teacher, and moving up the pay scale, but not where you go if you want to learn cutting edge, pure math, or in my case, science. I add this information here, for anyone who reads the post and might benefit from the distinctions between a MEd. and a MS. That MS may actually have a thesis and research, while the MEd. will not.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  4. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Jun 2, 2019

Thank you as always for your informative post! When you said MEd vs. MS, what about a Master of Arts in Math Education? What would that fall under in regards to teaching vs. the actual subject matter?

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 2, 2019

I have a Master of Arts in Mathematics Education and it is not an MEd. Here’s how I know, I’ve spoken with public schoolteachers in my area and they all said that they couldn’t teach at the community college level with just an MEd. However, I CAN and have taught at the local junior colleges because the job requirement to teach says you have to have a Masters in Math OR a Bachelors in Math AND Master of Arts in Mathematics Education — they don’t recognize or accept you with an MEd. I have the latter (BS and MA) and have taught Differential Equations and Advanced Calculus before because my Bachelors and Masters prepared me for that.

Also, MEd degrees are usually just for Education solely. My program was highly specialized and focused more on advanced high school and college-level mathematics.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  6. Acamp

Acamp Rookie

Jun 2, 2019

Very interesting- thanks for the info. Would you know if a Master of Arts in Mathematics Education K-6 would allow me to one day teach at the junior college level? Or no because its only k-6?

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Guru

Jun 2, 2019

Interesting - I've had multiple adjunct professors who teach on their MEd. degrees. Maybe it is NJ? Maybe it is instructing courses in the field of education? Don't have that answer, but do have a lot of experience with these people as instructors at the graduate level. I also noticed a remark in one of the two threads about more writing because the Master's degree is being taken online. I have 2.75 Master's degrees, all taken at the colleges or in person in cohorts, still with face to face teaching/learning, and still writing was the way 99% of the work was done and evaluated. That missing 1% was the occasional presentation = I would rather have written the paper than done that, though. Just don't want anyone to think that attending classes on campus is going to mean tests versus writing assignments.

If you are seriously considering a desire to teach at a junior college, why not change the scope of your Master's degree so that you would have credentials that would make you eligible to teach at JC if you so desired? That would seem very reasonable to me.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

Jun 2, 2019

I’m leaning towards no (but take what what I say with a huge grain of salt — I could be totally wrong) because it depends on the subject taught. Unless the courses were specifically tailored to K-6 like Early Childhood Development or something along those lines, I can’t see a junior college offering such a class.

9. futuremathsprof

Jun 2, 2019

Interesting, also. The junior colleges in my area want you to have an MA or MS and not an MEd. Hmm.