We've all done the drills...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aces, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jan 20, 2019

...but when it comes to the real thing, it's a horse of a different color.

Friday a guy robbed a convience store up the road from school, and was said to be on foot heading our general direction. Of course we went into a lock down. It was during my prep period so I didn't have students in my classroom but there were two students in the hallway when I went to close my door. I pretty much yanked them inside, slammed the door and shuffled the students into our prep room.

The teacher I share a prep room with has prep at the same time and she was helping a students at the time. They were also in the prep room. It was a tense 2hrs until the all clear came through.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2019

Seems like that would be more ‘shelter in place’ since the alleged robber was not in your building.

Was he caught?

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 20, 2019

We have had to go into "code yellow" for escapees and other incidents, like the drug dog visiting or a student needing to removed by ambulance. That is basically a call to keep students in the classrooms. The kids always start asking a million questions. I always have to remind them that I have been in the room with them, so I know nothing they don't. I know it makes the kids nervous.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 20, 2019

We have a separate "shelter in place" protocol which is only for chemical emergency. That means we take the kids to the gym, turn off the ventilation system, seal up doors and windows, and wait for the chemical cloud to pass. We are downwind from a government nerve gas storage facility. Everyone in the path of the facility has been given kits with an alert radio, a

6. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jan 20, 2019

Our lock down is meant to secure the building, no one in the hallways, students/staff in designated areas in classroom in the event someone is in the building or might be trying to gain access to the building who shouldn't be. In this case it was appropriate because it was said he had a gun and was last seen in the vacinity of the school. And yes, he was caught. They found him about half a mile north of the school hiding in a storm drain.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jan 20, 2019

Where I work, hard lockdowns are common enough where the drills are rare.
    I used to never keep my phone on me at work until I moved here. Now I do so so my husband doesn't hear through the grapevine and worry about me; I text him first

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 20, 2019

My last year subbing, there was an on-campus shooting (it was in the bus garage and it was deflected to the ceiling). I had no idea what was happening but clearly heard the announcement that it wasn't a drill. It was especially terrifying because it wasn't my classroom and I didn't have a key to lock the door.

9. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Jan 20, 2019

Agreed; it's interesting that OP's school went into full lockdown. My school has a "Lock OUT" policy that we use when there's something sketch going on outside. Class continues, but everyone comes into the building and classroom doors are locked. Those happened fairly regularly last year; thankfully there haven't been any this year.

10. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jan 20, 2019

We don't really have an option for that. We're a school of extremes.

11. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Jan 20, 2019

That sounds like it would be unnecessarily stressful on staff and students.

12. Aces

Aces Cohort

Jan 20, 2019

I agree. Supposedly there's plans for next year... But they said that last year.... (And I probably won't be here to see it).

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2019

My school is locked all day. Visitors must be buzzed in and can’t get much further than front office. Classroom doors are mostly shut and locked all day as well

14. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

My elementary school does conduct a lockdown drill once a marking period.
    Shelter-in-Place due to Medical Emergency: stay in classroom, continue teaching, nobody can leave your classroom
    Lockout: all exterior doors and windows locked, indoor activities remain in effect
    Lock-in: Everyone remains inside until further notice, exterior doors do not need to be locked
    Lockdown: Interior or Exterior; lock classroom door, students silent in room, no visibility of people from door, barricade door (if interior lockdown), lights off, everyone lays down (if interior lockdown)
    Reverse Evacuation: Outdoor activities cancelled, all students and staff return inside immediately
    Evacuation: Immediately head outside
    General Shelter-in-place: Stay in classroom, continue teaching, nobody leaves room
    Fortunately, this year, my school has had 1 medical emergency shelter-in-place. In previous years, we had a Reverse Evac (severe thunderstorm and lightning) and Lock-In, a few SIP's, and 1 fire evacuation (small fire in kitchen, under control within a half an hour). We did receive a bomb threat about five years ago, was a hoax, but we still had to Evacuate and Emergency Relocation