Well, we've finally done it...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by kcjo13, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

You would be correct Diz, and accurate on how things work here. MOST students take a headshot type photo for scholarships and such, but others want a picture in the yearbook with a little more...personality.

2. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 24, 2014

That's how its done at every high school in my district and at least the 6 closest districts as well.

3. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

I call it like I see it.

OP, you posted an article. I gave my opinion. Like I said before, the media is definitely overblowing it as they do with, well, everything. I can see why you're bothered. It just bothers me seeing a teenager holding a gun. That's how I feel.

But more power to you and your community.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I just skimmed the articles a bit, and here are my thoughts: students' families pay for the pictures, so who cares what they decide to pose with? It's hobby/sport.

At my old high school, senior pictures are only allowed to be from the shoulders/chest up, like a traditional school picture. Hands are not allowed to be in the pictures, either. This prevents a lot of possible issues from popping up. The gun pictures are fine and dandy, but why is that necessary for a yearbook?

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2014

My high school also required a 'head and shoulders' shot on a solid background for the yearbook.
    Parents could by a page in the back and many would put other senior pictures on it (as well as childhood photographs). I'm not sure what restrictions they had for those pictures.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I agree on all accounts.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I imagine that if someone is fond enough of their firearm that they want to use it in their senior photos, they're not going to work for a place that would be so stupid about guns.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2014

Last year they tried to ban guns pics in our yearbook. They finally worked it out to everyone's satisfaction, but it is a touchy subject in areas where hunting is a major recreational sport: if the surfing page gets pics with their boards, the fishing page with pics of their rod and catch... why is it an issue for a hunting page with their game and gun?

For the record, our seniors all have the same headshot, done in the same studio, with the same background.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 24, 2014

Well, that's not really true since - no matter what the family wants - the girl most likely can't show cleavage because that's not considered tasteful. Killing machines, though, are apparently not regarded as "tasteless" by the majority.

I don't like it to put it mildly, but I realize that guns are a very touchy subject here and everywhere so I'll just leave it at that.

10. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

Companies have different hiring policies in place for different reasons. I know hiring managers and the like that will Facebook the living crap out of a candidate and google them extensively. We have all seen teachers get fired for less. Is it stupid? More than likely. Is it becoming more realistic? Unfortunately yes.

You have to be careful with what photos you let go public. It could come back to bite you. More and more "stupid" employers have that policy. Alcohol, guns, skimpy clothes, etc. I think it sucks but prospected employers are on the hunt (no pun intended).

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

I totally agree.

I've heard of this controversy before. Bow hunters could have their bows in their photos but rifles weren't allowed. Stupid.

Kids could have photos taken with their cars. But not their guns. And we all know that more people are killed by cars each year than they are by guns.

It is just political nonsense.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 24, 2014

You may not know the opinions of those in charge of screening and checking on potential employees. Just because an entire company doesn't dislike guns doesn't mean that bias won't happen within the company hiring process.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

Oh, I'm fully aware of this. I'm also aware that people usually get to choose where they work. I cannot see a hunter choosing to work at a place that would make hiring choices based on whether or not the prospective employee has a gun.

14. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

Agree with everything you have said.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2014

This is exactly how I feel; I don't like it at all but I see that this is a touchy subject on here so I'll keep my comments to myself.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

True. But I'm not going to take down my wedding photo of my black husband and I simply because I'm afraid that a prospective HR person is against inter-racial marriage.

17. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

Agreed.

I'm glad I'm not alone with the dislike. It makes me super uncomfortable. I agree that it's touchy.

18. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2014

If it makes you feel any better, I saw this issue on my FB feed several times today and all my friends agreed that it was no big deal. I'm pretty sure it would be acceptable in the HS in my district. All the best kcjo. I've been in the middle of this type of national controversy. It's not fun.

19. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 24, 2014

Must be a slow news day! I feel badly for the kids who probably did not sign up for their pics to be splashed all over the 10 o'clock news.

I grew up out in the country and in a school that literally had a Rifle Club-(this was in the olden days before anyone really thought about possible school shootings), the kids brought their guns to school and met down the street at the Rod and Gun Club. It's actually where we hold our reunions. So obviously, I definitely don't think it's a big deal! ;)

20. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 24, 2014

I don't see it as a big deal since in the area where it is happening hunting is nothing unusual. It's a hobby. It's not a hobby I have any interest in pursuing, nor introducing my children to, nor do I know anyone living in my general area who hunts, but I do get that it's a hobby.

The photos show students showing their gun as part of their hobby. Nothing about it screams violence. I don't get why it has made such a big deal in the news. Heck, I'd probably be more offended with a girl in an inappropriately tight top showing too much cleavage than I am with any of the sample photos shown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.