Welcome Bulletin Board

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by valindy, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 2, 2006

I got disposable cookies sheets (tin foil kind) and put each child's name on a chocolate chip cookie cut-out. It was titled "Kulp's Newest Batch of Smart Cookies."

Last year in 5th grade, I had my students work on a short story about their summer vacation on the second day. They finished it by the end of the first week. They then wrote their stories on paper that looked liked shorts and I put it on colored paper cut like shorts. I titled this one "Our Summer Shorts."
    It was a huge success-the parents loved it at back 2 school night and I had a true sample of their starting writing skills.

2. anadinem

anadinem Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

what about DIVE INTO LEARNING......

as for me - my theme is bears so my door is going to have a bunch of little bears each with a students name and then a bigger bear looking out the window and a sign above it that says something like "Beary glad to have you" or something havent quite worked that out yet - would love some ideas if anyone has any though :)

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 2, 2006

I use a train theme for my welcome bulletin board

I use the Ellison machine to cut out train engines. I print each student's name on a train. The title of the board is "All Aboard - Next Stop Second Grade". I have several railroad crossings signs that I post on the board also.

4. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I am doing a "bug" theme - So I am doing a "Buggy for First Grade" Bulletin Board. If anyone else has any suggestions I will take them!!!

5. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

i am doing "welcome to the bunch" then a bunch of grapes. i don't have a theme so this is something easy. i have a ton of bb in my room.

6. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

These are wonderful ideas but does anyone have middle school ideas for homeroom? Has to be cool but not too cool or it will be lame! Arghhhh Middle Schoolers!!! LOL
    Help! Thanks!

7. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

Aug 3, 2006

How about doing a puzzle-like bulletin board. Put each kid's name on a large puzzle piece. (You'd probably have to make them yourself.)Place them on the bulletin board. You can title it: "We're a Perfect Fit"

I once saw somebody do a word search bulletin board. The board was covered with plain white butcher paper. Then little square boxes were carefully drawn on top of it so that it actually looked like a word search that you'd find in the paper. Then each child's name was placed throughout the word search. I don't remember the title of that bulletin board.

Or you can pick a universal theme that even the older kids with love...like stars. I did a bulletin board once that said: Now Playing the Stars of 3rd Grade. I wrote each child's name on a star, make a director's board, and some bags of popcorn. You could even put their names on fake movie tickets.

Good luck!

8. teach12

teach12 Companion

Aug 3, 2006

I am also doing a bug theme in first grade! And funny enough, I was also planning on using "Buggy for First Grade" I also would like any other ideas anyone can give me. I know there has to be some really creative things out there, but I can't think of them!

9. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Middle School Welcome Bulletin Board

I am using classifieds from the Sunday newspaper as a background, and I will use red letters that spell out: WANTED: Felicitious Math Students.

I have used this idea in different schools and all of the kids loved it. You could use different words in place of felicitous (my kids liked learning new words).

For character education, I made puzzle pieces using Ellison dies and put the words on the pieces and fit them together on a bulletin board with the headline: Character Education... it all "fits" together.

Hope this helps! :)

10. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

Jungle theme~
    "Wild about kindergarten" or you could use "wild about learning"

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

My welcome bulletin board is going to be a frog theme. I haven't decided on the title yet...either "Leaping into 2nd grade" or "Leap into Learning".

Last year I did "A Tee-riffic Class" and had paper tee shirts hanging on string with clothes pins. Each student had a tee shirt with his/her name on it. I asked each child to bring a picture to school for the bulletin board. I took digital photos for the kids who forgot (on the first day of school).

Inside my room this year, I'm also going to have a "Bright Ideas" board...it will be decorated with light bulb border and I'm buying light bulb notepaper so whenever someone in my class has a good idea about something, we'll write it down and hang it up! :)

12. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I am having a fish theme in my room. I've thought of several phrases. Welcome to our school (show many fish to represent the students or classes), swim in the right direction, have a fin-tastic year, we're going to have a whale of a good time, and oceans of fun with ________. You could use various "fish" words like "tackle" (tackle a good book), "get hooked" on ________, get "caught" up in. . .

13. jcg

jcg Cohort

Aug 7, 2006

My door is very simple. I have the "kids At Work" border around my window and then hard hats with each child's name.

14. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

CORPS2005- - How about "Diving into grade ___" On my classroom door I am putting "Hopping into Second Grade" and I have die cut frogs with each childs name on one.

15. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Thanks. I'm starting to get several ideas. It should all work out pretty well.

16. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 12, 2006

I love this idea. I'm doing "Wanted: Star 5th Graders" for a classroom job BB that will stay uup all year and I think using the classifieds will be a great background and super cheap!!

Thanks for the idea. :)

17. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Aug 12, 2006

what about a school of fish on the door w/ the students names saying:
    *swimming into ___ grade
    *swim on into room ___
    *ready for a fin-tastic year

18. dana72205

dana72205 New Member

Aug 12, 2006

I hang paper fish and write "one cool school"

19. MissMulcahy

MissMulcahy Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

You could say What a great Catch! for your underwater theme.

20. MRJNan

MRJNan Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

Frogs

I have a frog theme and outside the door it says, "Welcome to Our Pad" with a lily pad and the students names on frogs that sit on the pad. Then I have a bigger frog that's me off to the side. For my classroom jobs, the bulletin board says "HOP to Your Job!" and I have lilypads that state the job with the students names on smaller frogs that connect to the lily pad job.